1988 Toyota Pickup 22RE - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
1988yota

Default 1988 Toyota Pickup 22RE

Hi, I have a 1988 Toyota Pickup 22RE and when you first start it up in the morning it makes a pritty lound rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ing noise for the first 10-15mins. of warm up. But then it dose not make the noise at all for the rest of the day. And it only makes that noise if I start it early in the morning, when it is kinda cold out side. i have only had this truck for a couple of months and am wondering if this is just normal when it is cold out side. But if I start it up later in the morning it dose not make that noise. Thanks for all of your help.
1988yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
ky_savage

I was making the same noises this morning when I stepped outside leaving work. I also have an '88 22re and it runs a little rough at start up when cold and after it's warm, it is smooth as silk.
ky_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
SilverBullet

On my old 87, it would vibrate the shroud around the exhaust (heat shield for engine wires) until it warmed up, when the shroud was warm and would expand to make the bolts tight.

If that it the sound you are describing, just tighten everything holding it on when the truck is cold.

If that is not the sound (metal to metal vibration) try to describe it more...

Brian Letendre, KE6IRJ
"Lifted" in more ways than one
95 4Runner, SAS, 4.88, Locked, Armor, and ready to Rock!
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Elvi

Cold power steering fluid? Does it whine when you turn the steering wheel?
Elvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Norris01

could just be the timing chain slapping around a bit until it gets warm and the guides tighten up.
4.7 crawler locked f/r
37inch iroks
Norris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
luispoinciana

check the tensioner of the timing chain.
luispoinciana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
johnnytwelvepack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
On my old 87, it would vibrate the shroud around the exhaust (heat shield for engine wires) until it warmed up, when the shroud was warm and would expand to make the bolts tight.

If that it the sound you are describing, just tighten everything holding it on when the truck is cold.

If that is not the sound (metal to metal vibration) try to describe it more...
X2 One of the trucks that i had leaked a little at the header flange untill it warmed up. As for the timing chain that noise is usually only heard untill oil pressure comes up about 10 seconds, unless something is very wrong with the tensioner but that would probably make a constant noise.
johnnytwelvepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
KyleSGorter

yuo model 22re uses the AAV to control the idle it is the unit that attaches under the throat of the throttle body and bypasses air past the throttle blade when at idle (closed) position. On older 22res theres an electric motor that opens and closes a small valve to limit idle air bypass called the IAC which would idle up when the engine is cold to aid in warming up the engine and maintaining steady oil pressure until it is heated some. Theres a bimetal spring in you AAV (aux air valve) which acts like a thermostat and closes slowly as the engines coolant approaches OT. Thus when the engine is cold the AAV is wide open and the engine idles up like it should to between 1300-1500rpm and settles as the engine warms to around 800rpms. Likely this is the whirring you hear especially if you have a non-stock muffler and no tach.

Id get a tachometer unit that you can use to set and adjust your idle if your truck doesnt have one. you dont have to spend a bill getting the wiring kit and tach for inside the cab 95% of the time a tach isnt needed especially in these trucks its a luxury. Get a cheapo one from autozone that reads off your dizzy to check your idle.

I can also recomend that you check your timing chain as it will tapp and rub on cold starts if the guides are heavily worn or the chain is stretched because of usage and hot and cold environments. Id pop off the valve cover and use a light to check the guides. if you havent done your chain yet since owning the truck id recomend calling ted stanwood at engnbldr.com or emailing him. he can set you up with a new chain w/ steel backed guides, cover, oil pump, h20 pump etc for a bill and a half shipped. A timing chain with busted guides will make a lot of noise in all types of driving and sounds a bit like pebbles rattling around in an empty beer can. Check your oil and coolant for mixing to make sure it didnt rub through if you do have timing chain woes.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
enginesnparts

Reasonable engine parts for your timing components availbale here in case you need them. www.japanengine.com. Call or go to their site and ask about your problem.
enginesnparts is offline   Reply With Quote