3rd or 4th gen 4Runner? Best year? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

View Poll Results: Which years of 4Runner should I get
'99-02 3rd generation 4Runner (cheapest option allows us to pursue other goals) 32 78.05%
'03-'05 4th Gen 4Runner (a compromise, but more affordable) 7 17.07%
'06-'07 4th Gen 4Runner (best power and looks; may interfere with some of MY goals) 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Q-DawgVFR

Default 3rd or 4th gen 4Runner? Best year?

OK, my brother has told me he really wants to buy our 4Runner before next winter hits. It is a '96 Limited with lots of highway miles, but in pretty good shape yet.

It is a long way off yet, but I'm one of those fellow who has to have things worked out in advance.

I can't seem to decide if I should get a somewhat newer and cleaner 3rd generation 4Runner, or if I should spring for a 4th gen.

Mostly it will be a DD for my wife; offroading prowess is secondary, but is definately a consideration as there are lots of hunters and campers in the family and it will get moderate off road use (but no severe punishment, so there's no need for lift kits or anything too extreme.)

She is decent with stick shift (as am I) but has complained about tension headaches from driving the manual in our car, and wants to probably get another auto in the 4Runner. She likes the bells and whistles, so probably another Limited or a Highlander if a 3rd gen. Probably Limited if its a 4th.

We live in Canada and there are huge price differnces on the newer trucks. The dealers up here are still asking silly amounts of money for used trucks and I refuse to pay that much, even if it is a Toyota! Of course, the newer the truck, the better the savings. If I get a 3rd generation from south of the border, it will only marginally be worth it, but I won't be much in the hole.

On the other hand, a newer truck may be the way to go. Problem is that I've never liked the '03-05 4Runners much, compared to the better looking and more powerful '06+ 4th gen 4Runners. I have a good job and can afford one if I really want it, but it will mean that I have to live with my Protege for at least another 3 years. (It has served us well, but I bought it mainly because it was cheap transportation when we were looking to reduce fixed costs and get into a better house sooner. I want to drive an Audi A4/S4 again, just as I used to......)

So do any of you have any words of wisdom? My wife is pretty happy with her truck and would be content with either 3rd or 4th gen; but I suspect the 4th gen would offer her more ease of entry and exit, as well as 3rd row seat if she wants to use it. Generally she likes newer things, as most of us do.

So what would you buy and why?

If you did buy a 3rd gen again, what year is the best? I'm kinda leaning towards the '99-00 as they had the newer styling, but had locker in '99 (not sure about '00.)

My '96 has a rear locker and it is awesome. Would love to keep that option, since add on air lockers seem to be pretty pricey.

Thanks in advance.
Q-DawgVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
*ROKTOY*
Veteran Member

My Rig: 86 Toy 4x4 LB PU 3RZ

You forgot none of the above in your pole.
*ROKTOY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
YotaJosh

I love my '04. It's not 4x4 and thats probably a good thing, because I'd be wheeling it all the time. My wife likes driving it, and if she's happy, I'm happy.

The V8 in mine is awesome. It's got good power, gets decent milage (for a V8), and I can actually tow things, like my '79 on a 16' flatdeck trailer.

In all honesty, I'd take any runner on your list.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
TRoss
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1985 Toyota Ext PU

Wife's ride. Nicest vehicle we've ever owned. Smooth, quiet, plenty of V6 power... really nice, we love it. It's a long way from the 1st gen rigs, which is kinda sad...

Also, check out this website for the 120 series vehicles, might help you decide. http://www.toyota120.com/forum/index.php

Does the VFR imply that you fly?
How close to Thunder Bay are ya, eh?

Project BR
TRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
neq0323

personally i like them all but if you get a 3rd gen try your hardest to find a 1999. i just bought a 2001 and theres several features i wish i got that are not available after 1999. (i.e rear locker, 1'' higher then all other years, and the highlander addition) just my $.02
neq0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
mudferret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neq0323 View Post
personally i like them all but if you get a 3rd gen try your hardest to find a 1999. i just bought a 2001 and theres several features i wish i got that are not available after 1999. (i.e rear locker, 1'' higher then all other years, and the highlander addition) just my $.02
And no 5sp after 2000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
mudferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Q-DawgVFR

I did not forget to add the "none of the above." I t simply is not an option I am considering. Although the wife is content with the truck she has (she is going to school) she did say she would be happy for a few features present in newer trucks like the keyless entry, heated seats, 3rd row seat, easier entry.

Because my brother wants to buy it as well, it will work out well. But if he loses interest, I suppose we'll keep it a while longer as it is a good truck. As long as he wants it, i will agree to sell it.

I have a set of new '99 springs sitting in the garage. Just haven't gotten around to installing. As well as the Trail Gear sliders. Might end up on the next truck instead. Probably a good thing I still have the factory running boards as well......

As far as the VFR, I don't fly literally. More of a "ground pilot" on my Honda VFR Interceptor! (I'm in Alberta; far away from Thunder Bay.)

5-spd probably not a big issue; since it is her truck she will likely choose auto again this time. Fine with me as long as the car stays stick shift forever. I like rowing gears!

So no locker in 2000?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
extremetoy2000
Veteran Member

I would a say that the 03 and up would be a better option simply from a power standpoint. There is also a little more headroom in the newer one. Right now the 96-02 are at about the point where their value will start to drop rapidly since they are 10 years old now. I'd sell your current one while you can still get good $$$$ for it.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
TRoss
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1985 Toyota Ext PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR View Post
As far as the VFR, I don't fly literally. More of a "ground pilot" on my Honda VFR Interceptor! (I'm in Alberta; far away from Thunder Bay.)
Ah, I get it... cool.
Best wishes vehicle shopping!! Fun, Fun!

Project BR
TRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
BOVADS
Veteran Member

i have an '03 wifes daily driver, its a v8 sr5 edition
i like it but it not as good of a wheeler as my '90 runner or my '03 taco. but its good on the high way, and hold family and dogs
i love the sound of the v8 thru a flow master up the mountain passes

BOVADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
p nut
Veteran Member

I was in this same situation a while ago. A brand new 4th Gen or a used 3rd. I picked a 2002 Sport Edition. Here are my reasons:

1) Cheaper
2) Could not get over the looks of a 4th Gen. I am still questioning the styling, but it's growing on me more. But I still think 3rd Gens look the best.
3) Size. 4th Gens just seem too bulky to me.

With 01-02, you do lose the option for a rear locker, but if you really wanted one, you could swap in an e-locker or get an ARB unit. Not that big of a deal. With the 01-02, you get VSC/TRAC, which your wife will appreciate, especially driving in the snow. You also get a multi-mode 4WD (AWD), so you can put it in 4WD on dry pavement (for times where there are just patches of snow on the road).

The only thing I'm jealous of with the newer 4Runners is (and it's a big one) the 4.0L V6 with the timing chain. Great power and no worries of belt changes. And if you are going to get a new one, get an 05+. They started putting in 5-sp transmissions from 05. Personally, I would skip on the V8, unless you tow all the time. Not worth it, IMO. Plus they use a belt, which I've always thought was odd.
p nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Q-DawgVFR

Thanks for the replies, fellows. I don't know if I will decide until the time comes to buy. I've seen some great deals online that are tempting on both 3rd and 4th gen models. Saw a late year 3rd gen Ltd with 41K original miles for about $14K; awesome shape and pretty tempting as I know the 3rd gen pretty well having worked on mine a lot doing preventative maintenance such as water pump, timing belt, fluid changes, etc and starter fix, wiring upgrades, etc. Part of me wants to stick with the 3rd gen because it is so familiar already.

But I saw a beautiful blue 2006 XSP 4th gen 4runner with 18's and v8 and leather for $25K.

Can anyone tell me more about the XSP package? I've never seen any for sale here in Alberta. Is it a dealer package? What is the trim level that it is built on? i like leather and such in vehicles, but i don't necessarily want to pay for the top of the line model. The XSP apears to slide in below the Limited, based on options I saw listed in the ads I looked through. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Q-DawgVFR

Well, after spending a weekend visiting my wife and son (she's finishing up her last school term now) at her parents and swapping vehicles so I could drive the 4Runner home for oil change and such, I think I've finally made up my mind to go with a 4th gen replacement.

The single biggest reason?

My 3rd gen seats are a torture rack for my body.

I guess I never really noticed it before as most of my trips have just been between home and her Edmonton, where the wife is in school. it is a 2 hour drive, and the 4Runner is bearable to drive for about that long. Once I go further, I become acutely aware of 2 things: my lower back and upper shoulder area are not supported by the seat back. Even when relaxed and trying to let my back conform to the seat, I seem to arch in a completely different contour than the seat. The other thing is my leg which just can't seem to find a comfortable angle to sit at, especially when I am using cruise control. Sore shoulders, back, and tension headaches are the usual result of driving our 4Runner for long distance like the 4 hour drive to wife's mom and dad's........

Since I am most usually expected to drive on family outings, for its ease of entry / egress, roomier interior, better 3rd row seat, and about the same fuel consumption but more power, I think I shall go with a '06-08 4Runner of some sort as it had the higher output v8 engine.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
marco99trd
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

buy a 1st Gen
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
p nut
Veteran Member

A year later??
p nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
marco99trd
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
A year later??
Yep
Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
TACO 4X4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR View Post
Since I am most usually expected to drive on family outings, for its ease of entry / egress, roomier interior, better 3rd row seat, and about the same fuel consumption but more power, I think I shall go with a '06-08 4Runner of some sort as it had the higher output v8 engine.
Higher output V8's started in '05 not '06...also the tranny became a 5spd for the V6's in '05 as well, it was the first and so far only significant drivetrain change they have had since the 4th gen's were introduced. In '06 they did do some cosmetic changes, that's it.

You can get 4th gen's with a rear locker but it is an option for '09's...called Trail Edition. Which comes with the FJ's ATRAC and a rear locker...though it is only available with the V6...which I can say has plenty of power (We have an '05 since it was new).

You can read more on the yearly differences here:
http://www.toyota120.com/html/4runner.html
TACO 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
87LVRunner

Did you consider the FJ Cruiser? Just a thought. Best of all worlds? I don't have personal experience. I rock a 1st gen for wheeling and pimp out a 2wd GMC Yukon on the street. I just don't think Toyota does full size well yet. Maybe the Tundra, I'll give ya that! Take wifey out in the FJ. My wife loves it, but not enought to part with the Lexus and she thinks my tractor (1st gen) is too sexy to sell it.
87LVRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #19
rangerruck

95 is THE LAST YEAR OF THE ORIGIONAL 22RE ENGINES!!!!! get a 95.
rangerruck is offline   Reply With Quote