TSS vs. TRD? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > T-100 Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
BurritosDaddy

Default TSS vs. TRD?

Need some help, as I am not as familiar with the Tundra options and packages. I am considering an 06 Tundra D-Cab 4x4 with 15K miles. From the pictures it looks like it has "Limited" badging, and the TSS package.

Since I am a Tundra newb, can anyone tell me the difference between the TSS and the TRD? I thought that they both had LSDs, but is one geared lower or what? Thanks for all your input.

Jeremy
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
taco4x4rar
Veteran Member

My Rig: 06 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to taco4x4rar

I would go with TRD, i think the TSS was some sort of dealer thing, basically stickers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecwboy View Post
I'm still a homo!
http://toyotaoff-road.com/
Randy
2006 Tacoma x-cab 12" bobbed bed and the usual 3" lift with a locked rear and a lot of broken parts. Dana 44 soon
1992 Chevy C-1500 swapped D60/14bolt 454 and th400 (wrecked it)
taco4x4rar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
motochain
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to motochain

Never heard of TSS.

IFS--->D60, one of these days....

'03 T4R
motochain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
BurritosDaddy

I think it is a dealer thing too, but I think it is basically like the difference between a TRD Off-Road Taco, and a TRD Sport only in a Tundra there is no rear locker so they both have an LSD, and the TSS gets some sort of 20" wheel upgrade.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also I think TSS stands for Toyota Street Series or something gay like that. But a 3" lift, some mud tires, and a little sticker removal can fix the gayness.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Vantage
Veteran Member

Why wouldn't u walk in. Sit down, and ask them what the difference is.

2002 Tacoma Access Cab TRD V6 4x4 Sr5. SOLD
Donahoe 2.5 CO's, Deaver 8 leaf, Bilstein 5125, 1" BL, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, HID Hella 500, Scanguage2, CBI Front/Rear bumpers, II Inovations Canopy(Winter), Demello Bedbar, Hilift, Reverse lights (Summer)
2006 Civic Si. FOR SALE - I/H/E Flashpro, cams, injectors, TB, IM
Future: 3rd gen 4Runner.
Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
BurritosDaddy

Because the truck is 175 miles away at a Chevy/GM dealer. I'd like to know what I am working with before I make the drive. Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
samuraiguytn

My wife and I bought an 06 Tundra about 5 to 6 months ago, we opted for the crew cab TRD model. Even though its just the 4.7L, it has plenty of power and so far the gas mileage isn't bad either. With the way my wife drives, I think she is getting anywhere from th elow to mid 20's. Go for the TRD its what you know more about and you won't be dissapointed.
I four wheel a sami on Yota axles and now with Yota power/drivetrain.
work done by Tangent Design
4x4GRACE
samuraiguytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
motochain
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to motochain

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraiguytn View Post
My wife and I bought an 06 Tundra about 5 to 6 months ago, we opted for the crew cab TRD model. Even though its just the 4.7L, it has plenty of power and so far the gas mileage isn't bad either. With the way my wife drives, I think she is getting anywhere from th elow to mid 20's. Go for the TRD its what you know more about and you won't be dissapointed.
Haven't ever heard of getting in the mid 20's with a 4.7L, but if you are that's awesome!

IFS--->D60, one of these days....

'03 T4R
motochain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
TacomaTRD99

Send a message via AIM to TacomaTRD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by motochain View Post
Haven't ever heard of getting in the mid 20's with a 4.7L, but if you are that's awesome!
My dad gets around 23 with his 03 TRD Access cab. I get around 20 with my truck firing half the amount of cylinders...go figure

Bought back due to rust:
1999 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD 4x4 5 spd. 3'' AAL/OME, 32'' BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, LC Engineering Header, K&N Intake, deckplate mod, Grey Wire Mod, and a Delta Diamond Plate Toolbox.

07 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4i. Warn, ITP, Optronics, Stearns, plano, custom...yea, it goes.
TacomaTRD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Spoony Love

Send a message via AIM to Spoony Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraiguytn View Post
i used to drive my tundra like an old lady, and i only got at the best 16, maybe 18 on the highway going 5 under with cruise control. No offense, but i call BS on that.

Anyway, yeah, i always wished i would have gotten a TRD, mine was all opened, the only thing good about that is, you could always throw a detroit in in

1983 fj60 - weekend warrior

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S - daily

2003 v8 Tundra 4x4- Sold
Spoony Love is offline   Reply With Quote