TTORA Forum banner

ANY 8" REAR V6 Guys who have a carrier out of their truck

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  AxleIke 
#1 ·
I need a measurement:

I need the ID of the carrier bearings, as close as you can get them. If you can get the OD of the race, that would be fantastic as well, but most imporantly is the ID.

You can measure either the bearing or the carrier, as close enough is good enough for me.

THANKS!!!

#2 ·
I got one. Do the gears an chit need to be out for this measurment?

#3 ·
Hard to say. Is this all set up in the diff, or no?

Look at it and see if you can get a set of calipers on the ID of the carrier bearings.

If you can, please measure, but if you can't, no need to dissassemble, UNLESS you were planning on doing that anyway. If you were going to take it apart for a regear or locker or something, and you don't mind, I would be VERY grateful.

#4 ·
The whole third is out I'll run down and get some measurments with my HF digital calipers and take pics of the measurment. I can take it appart too I was going to have it rebuilt and put a locker in it so that's no prob.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok my wife has the camera in her car so here are some cell phone pics of just the diff it's out of a 98 4Runner 3.4liter

I'm getting tired and confused so tell me with arrows or something where you need the measurments from. I'll get them when she gets home and better pics too.

let me know where I need to measure.

*edit* never mind I know what you want :doh:
Sorry Isaac
you want measurments to see what size bearings to get right?

#10 ·
Ok my wife has the camera in her car so here are some cell phone pics of just the diff it's out of a 98 4Runner 3.4liter

I'm getting tired and confused so tell me with arrows or something where you need the measurments from. I'll get them when she gets home and better pics too.

let me know where I need to measure.

*edit* never mind I know what you want :doh:
Sorry Isaac
you want measurments to see what size bearings to get right?
Okay. You see the big thing in the middle that has the big ring gear bolted to it?

Thats the actual diff, also called the "carrier". There are two bearings on both ends of that thing, under those bearing caps. The bearings sit behind the "adjuster nuts" which are the things on the side with all the holes in them. I need the OD of the bearing races.

So, what you'd need to do is pull off those 2 bolts that hold the adjuster nuts in place (in the center of the bearing caps). Next, mark each bearing cap with a marker or a punch, so that you can tell which way they went, and what side they went on. I use a one punch, two punch method. So, I put one punch on the left cap, and just below it on the part that the cap bolts to, I put another single punch. I do the same to the right side, but I use two punches.

Then unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the bearing caps in place. After pulling those bolts out, pull of the bearing caps. Or, just lift the carrier out. You need to be careful not to bugger the threads on those caps. Take a set of calipers and measure the OD of the races, which will fall off when you take the carrier out.

I owe you huge man.

#11 ·
ok here it is
the race part # is: TR1(OR I)00802-2 thats the oe factory # on the race

pics self explanitory

ID=2.783"

OD=3.267"

The reason I have this thing
2 teeth missing from pinion

Don't worry about it Isaac I've been wanting to tear into that thing for 6 months now and I finally had a good reason for it.

#13 ·
my dad gave me this one I think it's from Harbor Freight but it works ok.

#15 ·
Is that what you needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.