Who's gonna help me put my lockers in - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruznlife1
Who's gonna help me put my lockers in

Looking at the powertrax and the detroit's.... I'm CB'd, wanna get the front and rear locked and try some stock size mud terrains and see how she does....

I climbed under, the rear doesnt look hard, once you pull the 3rd member I can work on it on the tailgate and toss it back under there. The front is what worries me, I can barely see the damn thing from under the truck.

I need a garage, some helping hands, I will supply plenty of beer. I'll be out there with you guys next trip out whereever it will be lol.

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznlife1
Looking at the powertrax and the detroit's.... I'm CB'd, wanna get the front and rear locked and try some stock size mud terrains and see how she does....

I climbed under, the rear doesnt look hard, once you pull the 3rd member I can work on it on the tailgate and toss it back under there. The front is what worries me, I can barely see the damn thing from under the truck.

I need a garage, some helping hands, I will supply plenty of beer. I'll be out there with you guys next trip out whereever it will be lol.
I'd be more than willing to help you install a lockrite in the rear(never done the front) but can't help you with a Detroit as they require resetting gears which really should be done by a quilified(sp?) gear tech.
Edit: Hey I was down your end today getting a package for my son out of truck 406.Come down and say hi tommorow 700 belt slot 715

2015 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road

Last edited by Red2003; 08-07-2006 at 07:46 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Chaz,
Wanna install another lockrite? Bet we can do Anthony's in 2 hours then mine in an hour

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm gonna do the rear for sure, no doubt. it's the front that I'm not so sure about. Especially with the automatic hubs, dont they still turn the axle shafts but just disconnect the front driveshaft or what ? Even in 2wd does it disengage the front axles from the diff ? Wouldnt want anything but open in the front if it doesnt disengage axles. I just need a place to do it, as I dont have a garage or many tools here. All my tools, welder, etc. is all at my parents house and I'd rather not do it there lol.

Yeah and you missed it, skip, I parked next to you at work today lol

But I beat you both out this afternoon. If you were backed in it would be the perfect pic haha, Yeah I'll come say hi tomorrow.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

You know how right you are, 1 hour 45 min with the rear (6 hands). The front? 4 hours? My house, I needed a reason to buy more tools

On the other post Anthony said he would supply the beer we pop the top after the work is done.

Skip, you and I need to learn how to set-up gears, that way we can do the ARB's on my rig. I would rather pad your pocket then someone I don't know.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Anthony,
Do a qiuck search on the National board, use keyword "LockRight" there you will find info about locking the ADD front. You may just want to stick with the rear, it works unbelievable.
Skip too will soon see the light
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

2TENSE, your place, my truck, skips, truck, maybe 2 locker installs, plenty of bud, We'll figure a time, gotta be on the weekends though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to NESurfer
Let me know when too, I might have to stop by and see just how easy you say this rear is to put in cause you know whats next on my list!!

2000 XCab V6 3'' Cornfed Spacers 3" PA B/L 35x12.50x15 BFG A/T's on ProComp 1069 15x8 18" Magnaflow
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2343791
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys,

The lunch box type lockers are fine for the add because when there is no pressure from the driveshaft, the locker will not engauge. You'll be good to go. The weak link with an add truck that is locked front and rear is front ring gear. I don't think that will be a problem until you get to a 37"+ tire size.

86 4Runner, SAS ,dual cases, 5.29, locked f&r, 36 sx's
Yes I wheel it.

www.neilfab.net
Neilfab Stuff

Tread Lightly P06-13986.indv
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil426
Hey guys,

The lunch box type lockers are fine for the add because when there is no pressure from the driveshaft, the locker will not engauge. You'll be good to go. The weak link with an add truck that is locked front and rear is front ring gear. I don't think that will be a problem until you get to a 37"+ tire size.
Neil,
I could be wrong and correct me if I am , but when Chaz & I installed his lock-rite it appeared to be designed to stay locked all the time until pressure was applied when turning corners. The small springs would allow the teeth on the side gears to slip(also causing that chatter noise everyone talks about). I understand about no front driveshaft pressure but what about steering?With ADD isn't everyting else inside turning? I've never seen the inside of an ADD front.

Last edited by Red2003; 08-11-2006 at 04:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode