Where to get tires mounted and balanced - TTORA Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Treasure Coast FL
Posts: 676
Send a message via AIM to Cruznlife1
Where to get tires mounted and balanced

I got my new wheels and tires. I want to get them balanced, but I'm done fooling around with tire kingdom and tires plus with the underage, untrained, underpaid workers who just dont give a fuck about anything.... I used to work for tire kingdom, I watched when they balanced the tires on my lincoln, when I saw them pulling off the balancer still not right, I went in and made them do that shit ALL OVER AGAIN....

I want to find someone that cares/knows what they are doing to roadforce balance them, and use the stick on weight behind the wheels. My new wheels have the fake beedlock on the front so you can't hammer weights on....

Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere in south florida ? Money isnt' an issue I just want it done right and the truck to run smooth on the highway....
Cruznlife1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
 
Neil426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Burg, 32068
Posts: 626
If you have a larger tire....I would try to find a big rig tire shop. Beyond that I don't know of anything local to you but Chaz might.

Neil

86 4Runner, SAS ,dual cases, 5.29, locked f&r, 36 sx's
Yes I wheel it.

www.neilfab.net
Neilfab Stuff

Tread Lightly P06-13986.indv
Neil426 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
coryc85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 271
I agree about the underage/underpaid people at those places. When I had my 33's mounted, I went to Goodwear (yes Goodwear, not Goodyear)...which is a small shop in Miramar (bit of a drive from Boca area). Their tire tool is plastic and not metal so it won't damage the rims and they did a decent job balancing especially since my 20+ year old rims were beat up. Locally owned, and the owner is almost always there, I like the small shops like that. Another option is that a good friend of mine owns the Precision Tune in Coral Springs. He is a good friend and will treat you right as far as doing the work properly. Don't know how big of a tire he can handle though. Anyway, those are some options down here.

88 4Runner, 33" Buckshot Mudders, FROR front bumper, Warn 9k.
coryc85 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
 
Red2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fla.
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznlife1
I got my new wheels and tires. I want to get them balanced, but I'm done fooling around with tire kingdom and tires plus with the underage, untrained, underpaid workers who just dont give a fuck about anything.... I used to work for tire kingdom, I watched when they balanced the tires on my lincoln, when I saw them pulling off the balancer still not right, I went in and made them do that shit ALL OVER AGAIN....

I want to find someone that cares/knows what they are doing to roadforce balance them, and use the stick on weight behind the wheels. My new wheels have the fake beedlock on the front so you can't hammer weights on....

Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere in south florida ? Money isnt' an issue I just want it done right and the truck to run smooth on the highway....
I told you where to go the other day you forget already?
Custom Wheel on Military Trail south of Okeechobee. Ask Dave with the green truck that's the only place he will go. They put the stick on weights(what you need)on his truck.That's where I bought my tires. My old set had one slightly out of round tire and the kid there spent 20 min balancing it until he got it right. They might charge you a little more since you didn't buy them there but I'm pretty sure they will do it. Oh and this is the only place I've ever seen use a tourqe wrench when putting wheels back on.

2015 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
Red2003 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Treasure Coast FL
Posts: 676
Send a message via AIM to Cruznlife1
yeah I've used custom wheel before, I migth go back, I live right next door to them.... They were the ones that repaired my boyd coddington wheels on my ranger. I've bought tires from them before etc. I had a sorta bad experiance with them, and try to steer away, but I dont have a problem with the work, just the people. It's where I'll probably go
Cruznlife1 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
i agree on the small (ish) shops.... my last set balanced were 35" x 12.50" x 18" mud graplers on 18" classic II micky's..... got em done at a st. lucie battery & tire ( probably waaaay too much of a drive for you ), and i dont recall how much for, but the tech himself even said that was the best large set he'd ever done.

those tires barely wore at all for the time i had them, and they were smooth as silk on the highway...

i'd definitely go with a local shop....tire kingdom makes enough money selling crap for junk cars anyways.....
lalelulilo is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Treasure Coast FL
Posts: 676
Send a message via AIM to Cruznlife1
Okay I got them all mounted up. They look BAD ASS ! haha

I called around today, I wanted road force balancing... The only place LOCAL to me that I called was tires plus. i couldnt beleive they did it.

I had a feeling it was a mistake, so I brought it all there and watched like a hawk, I dont care if that pisses them off....

So I wanted black walls OUT, so a kid comes out starts unboxing my wheels and and takes a second looking out them, puts them on the rim clamp, he was doing well so far, he mounted the first tire, aired it up sat the bead, he released the clamp the fucking wheel/tire jumped 3 feet off the machine to the middle of the shop, he should've released the clamp before he aired up.... I'm thinking, here we go....

So he mounts all 4 and I'm looking, 3 are black walls, one is white letters. I point it out and he sighs at me.... Manager sees it, older guy comes out, dismounts it and remounts it, he seemed to know what he was doing.... Than they rolled them to the roadforce balancer, that sucker was brand new, they finally got the damn thing turned on, and they call others over, so 3 techs and an office guy are staring at it, pushing buttons, hitting computer keys, looking at each other....

A manager looking guy comes out, got it to spin up, but something wasnt working, more headscratching and button pushing... They make a call and walk away... 15 minutes later a guy pulls up in some nice clothes, balances all 4 of them in like 2 minutes, gets back in his car and leaves... They rolled them out to me....

They look great, and I hope they ride smooth... 109 bucks for all four mounted/balanced etc.... Maybe I'll post some pics
Cruznlife1 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Dom
Senior Member
 
Dom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 151
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznlife1
Okay I got them all mounted up. They look BAD ASS ! haha

I called around today, I wanted road force balancing... The only place LOCAL to me that I called was tires plus. i couldnt beleive they did it.

I had a feeling it was a mistake, so I brought it all there and watched like a hawk, I dont care if that pisses them off....

So I wanted black walls OUT, so a kid comes out starts unboxing my wheels and and takes a second looking out them, puts them on the rim clamp, he was doing well so far, he mounted the first tire, aired it up sat the bead, he released the clamp the fucking wheel/tire jumped 3 feet off the machine to the middle of the shop, he should've released the clamp before he aired up.... I'm thinking, here we go....

So he mounts all 4 and I'm looking, 3 are black walls, one is white letters. I point it out and he sighs at me.... Manager sees it, older guy comes out, dismounts it and remounts it, he seemed to know what he was doing.... Than they rolled them to the roadforce balancer, that sucker was brand new, they finally got the damn thing turned on, and they call others over, so 3 techs and an office guy are staring at it, pushing buttons, hitting computer keys, looking at each other....

A manager looking guy comes out, got it to spin up, but something wasnt working, more headscratching and button pushing... They make a call and walk away... 15 minutes later a guy pulls up in some nice clothes, balances all 4 of them in like 2 minutes, gets back in his car and leaves... They rolled them out to me....

They look great, and I hope they ride smooth... 109 bucks for all four mounted/balanced etc.... Maybe I'll post some pics
What size tires are these??

TLCA Member: #16831
2007 Ti. Silver FJ -Project "Trl Makr"
TLCA#16831
Dom is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
 
Red2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fla.
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznlife1
Okay I got them all mounted up. They look BAD ASS ! haha

I called around today, I wanted road force balancing... The only place LOCAL to me that I called was tires plus. i couldnt beleive they did it.

I had a feeling it was a mistake, so I brought it all there and watched like a hawk, I dont care if that pisses them off....

So I wanted black walls OUT, so a kid comes out starts unboxing my wheels and and takes a second looking out them, puts them on the rim clamp, he was doing well so far, he mounted the first tire, aired it up sat the bead, he released the clamp the fucking wheel/tire jumped 3 feet off the machine to the middle of the shop, he should've released the clamp before he aired up.... I'm thinking, here we go....

So he mounts all 4 and I'm looking, 3 are black walls, one is white letters. I point it out and he sighs at me.... Manager sees it, older guy comes out, dismounts it and remounts it, he seemed to know what he was doing.... Than they rolled them to the roadforce balancer, that sucker was brand new, they finally got the damn thing turned on, and they call others over, so 3 techs and an office guy are staring at it, pushing buttons, hitting computer keys, looking at each other....

A manager looking guy comes out, got it to spin up, but something wasnt working, more headscratching and button pushing... They make a call and walk away... 15 minutes later a guy pulls up in some nice clothes, balances all 4 of them in like 2 minutes, gets back in his car and leaves... They rolled them out to me....

They look great, and I hope they ride smooth... 109 bucks for all four mounted/balanced etc.... Maybe I'll post some pics
Isn't Road Force balancing where they put the out of round spot on the rim oppisite the out of round spot on the tire? Because not all rims/tires are perfectly round right? So did they break down any of yours and remount them?(besides the one letters out) I wanted mine Road Force balanced at Custom Wheel and the owner told me it wasn't needed if they can get them balanced the regular way.

2015 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
Red2003 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Treasure Coast FL
Posts: 676
Send a message via AIM to Cruznlife1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2003
Isn't Road Force balancing where they put the out of round spot on the rim oppisite the out of round spot on the tire? Because not all rims/tires are perfectly round right? So did they break down any of yours and remount them?(besides the one letters out) I wanted mine Road Force balanced at Custom Wheel and the owner told me it wasn't needed if they can get them balanced the regular way.

They didnt dismount any of them and I know what you're talking about, thats what I thought it was too.... It was just a big fancy balancing machine with a pc, and what looked like a big sandpaper roller.... They spin the tire like normal, the big roller comes down and applies force, than it gives them the readout on where to stick the weights on.... I think the problem they were having was, they couldnt get it setup to dynamic or static balance them where they only put stick on weights on the back, it was setup to put weights on both sides like usual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
What size tires are these??
285/75/16
Cruznlife1 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
 
91toyota4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,080
I thought roadforce balancing balanced the tires the traditional way, as well as balancing them side to side and factoring in spots where the actual rubber in the tire was a different stiffness than the rest.

Ryan

1991 SASed Extra Cab V6 Pickup

FL TTORA
www.gator4x4.com
91toyota4x4 is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 583
road force balaning is where theres a load applied to the tire while it's spinning. the Hunter GSP 9700 is the best. Finding a shop with one.... hard. I only know of 1 shop in tampa with one that's not a dealership. And then when you do find one, making sure the guy running knows WTF he's doing is another story. Southern Tire in Tampa is the only place I know that does my wheels.

http://www.gsp9700.com/

'09 4.0L V6 Auto 4x4 TRD Off-Road CC/SB: STOCK
J94runner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BFG 31x10.5x15 mounted on aluminum Tacoma wheels cvc9216 Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 4 01-04-2007 11:27 PM
Tires For Sale kdstoy Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 3 08-24-2006 03:29 AM
Pro Comp x-terrain tires 33x12.5/15 mounted on pro comp 15x10 wheels cymplcty Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 12 07-12-2006 02:28 PM
Wheelers steel wheels with tires shiprekd1 Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 10 04-19-2006 06:08 PM
2000 Taco Wheels and tires for sale. BBlazerSK5 Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 6 11-14-2005 12:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome