TTORA Forum banner

3.4l swap chit chat

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Lysmachia 
#1 ·
Well, I'm just finishing up my 4th 3.4l swap. My first swap into/keeping a auto, 340h. The engines bolt in easy and the swaps can go really fast. This last one took me 3-4months though. Money was the big holdup (new baby) this time, but the project still was finished.

This was the first time I had to rebuild the chassi/body of the truck, it needed: ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, cv boots, radio, drivers seat, carpet scrubbing (funnay stink), and other stuff that I forgot. Strange because most of the 4runners I've built have 75-100k more then this one and they didn't need this much work. Lack of maintence kills, this last truck at 125k (why it needed soo much).

I test drove it the first time a couple days ago...... it was fast.... in 1st gear only!!!!! I forgot to wire in the speed sensor....duh. So 3 hours later after repairing the wiring harness...... I have a check engine light.... park neutral switch......I forgot to wire in the park/neutral switch......... yes, last time i repaired the harness I put it all the way back togeather. 1.5 hours later it runs good and shifts through all of it's gears, woot. But there is a problem! It feels slow! well, you get used to supercharged power and nothing else feels quite right. I "raced" one of the guys I work with, his 3.0l didn't even think of keepin up so i felt better about the power. I think a supercharger might be in my wifes future:rolleyes:

I took it to the Emmisions lane today and it "fast passed", they also didn't look under the hood. The truck smells awfull, the "exhaust paint" is burning off, it's not supposed to. They were looking around it after the test, asked me if it blew up! One of them though it was on fire, even had a fire extinguisher (sp) in hand. I payed my fee and drove away against the managers recommendation. It still stinks after 100 miles.

My wife likes the idea of the 4runner, she has been stuck driving the F350dually. Somthing small will allow her to park closer when shopping, this might be bad.

I know this is a worthless post but if you have any questions ask away and help out. If I get a chance to do another I might do a writeup or somthing. I'll educate myself on posting pics and such. On a side note, now that this weight is off my shoulders i can start to install my 62" alcans on my 4runner.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh we'll have questions when one of our engines blows. I hate our 3slows! We have too much invested in our rigs to do anything else but a swap!! ;)

Thanks for starting this discussion. It will be a really good addendum for the house of wrenching section!

#4 ·
3.4l are nice. I'd like to do somthing newer now. Money is a very big issue though. Now that 3.4l are 10years old they are starting to get very cheap. I just seen a 98 T100 on the list for 1500 complete, 100k on the engine, just rolled. My 4runner now has 3.5 years on it and 40k somthing (speedo is broken for three years :p ). That was a expensive swap compared to now. I payed $2800 for an engine with less then 100k miles "back in the day". Oh well.

Molly, you might just have to "miss shift" Troys rig on the way home somtime. Perfect time for a 3.4l. Before you do that though, you can get $1000 or more for a 3vz in good shape.

#8 ·
Not gonna lie... I love my auto runner... The ONLY way I would drive a manual trail truck was if it had a crawler...

It is so hard NOT to stall in a bad place otherwise... ;)

#9 ·
Well I looked at another post of SOM and he said it was a manual tranny. If it was a swaped in unit hopefully they did it right and put in the R151. Then the swap is the gravy train. All you would need is a 3.0l (shorter) or 3.4l (longer) belhousing. Welding in the new mounts is not that big of a deal.

I might be trying some of those ORS heavy duty mounts soon. I'm starting to get some serious drive-line slop. No torn engine mounts yet but my shifters jump about 3".

#10 ·
#13 ·
i got a question! (big surprise)... i got a 3.0 v6 in my 88 runner, but in the future im gonna do a swap (distant....distant...future). would the 3.4 work with the stock manual tranny i got right now? or am i gonna need a new tranny for a new engine?

#14 ·
It will bolt right up to your existing manual tranny, but you need a 3.4L clutch and flywheel.

Check out the Offroad Solutions website - they have a couple articles on what all is involved with the swap.

#15 ·
Yea! what he said.

I'm also in littleton if you want to stop by and take a peek at the 4runners.

Edit: you can reuse your 3.0 clutch and flywheel, the down side is that the friction surface is slightly smaller, upside is you don't need any extra parts if yours is new. I would personally spring for the 3.4l clutch though

#16 ·
hey dude, that would be super if i could stop by and look at 'em, specially since i've never seen a supercharged 3.4 before. plus i just installed the lift on my runner myself with my buddies and i wouldnt mind a 3rd party takin a look at it.

#18 ·
How much work would you be doing?

Are you dead set on less then 100k? (120k seems to save you $500-800)

For me, I have been able to get the last 3 I've done for less then 3k. Manual transmissions are cheaper then autos. I buy the ORS harnesses, x-over to save time. I still by my other parts from ORS but build the other stuff to save money.

It really depends on what you are willing to do, that will set the end price. 5k is a good price if you do no fab and buy all the other stuff new.

#21 ·
They make the install more difficult. Fuel lines and clutch lines are very close to the headers (designed around a 3.4l in it's origional wide framed home). If you don't plan on a supercharger they are not worth the effort. I don't have them on my truck yet, but they are in the future plans.

#22 ·
Ok, so a harness, motor mounts, engine, fluids, xpipe, bellhousing.

What else is required? I think it is a waste of time for me to try to make my 22rte fast. I was thinking about ordering the standard conversion kit, $1200, and a motor from Iribisoffroad, $1500. So that will equate to a 3k swap, but should be very straightforward with all the correct parts...

P.s. Brian that locker works wonderful! I love it.

#23 ·
I would think it's going to be more extensive than that considering you're starting with a 4 cyl... you'll have to add back in all the parts that are normally shared.

On the upside, you should be able to sell the turbo motor for a good price.

Personally, I think it would be cheaper and more effective here at altitude to rebuild the turbo - get the compression up and go from there.

#25 ·
Headers are difficult huh? Seems like all the guys on Yotatech who did the 3.4 swap into 2nd gens did headers and were ok... but they did mention it was tight. I assumed headers were essential. Tippy has to have a new exhaust put in (I can prolly use the cat I have, and the o2 censor but everything else needs to be replaced. I was thinking might as well do headers if I have to go to allt he trouble). In reality what does that get me?

#26 ·
If you have a good exhaust you can get or build a crossover like the ORS unit. You could slightly modify your existing system to fit the down pipe. Mike did this on his personal 4runner with 2.25" exhaust.

The headers fit with a few modifications. Moving the fuel line, clutch hose and lines, and the brake lines (all on the passenger side). They are possible, just more difficult then the stock style crossover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.