And I thought I hated rust!!! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

And I thought I hated rust!!!

Well I finally got around to tearing the 4Runner apart starting with the inside. I figured since I don't know much about wrenching I'd start doing stuff I know how to do. Like disasembling the interior. I don't know if I mentioned it, but it smells bad in my 4Runner. I think I found out why tonight. I managed to manhandle the back seat out and when I lifted it up...this dropped out.

The poor bastard is still juicy, not to mention a gigantic mouse nest fell out of the back bench seat. And while I had my face up close and personal trying to get the bolts out, it smelled like the back seat was used as a toilet. I went to move onto the front seats but ran into a giant snag. The passenger side bolts are frozen and I can't torque down on them enough to break the bolts free without putting myself in some major pain...elbow. Plus the driver side seat has a bolt I just can't get out. The nut is snapped off the front mount so the bolt just spins in place. I tried getting at it with a pair of pliers but just couldn't get the fuckers locked on. I think I might just end up busting out the

Anyways, this is what she looks like so far:

I'm so glad I bought an iPhone after not wanting to for so long. The music kept me entertained, plus I was able to take half decent shots of my progress in the dark.

Even with the frustration from the bolts I had fun doing this tonight. It was nice to get out of the house for once. Hopefully the weather holds out until tomorrow, and the PB Blaster does it's job to those frozen bolts.

Web Wheeler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YotaFun Send a message via Yahoo to YotaFun
Sweet Progress Bruce.
I know what you mean by hating rust, just ask Dave, he knows.
I am sure tons of PB blaster, a breaker bar and some slight feness and you should get it out.

Avdian (Avy, Av, , Eddie are some nick names)
97' SR5 4Runner, 3.4l, Auto, Sonoran Steel System 1.51, 4.30 E-locked - Current Trail Rig
97' Limited Edition 3.4l, Auto - Possible New Trail Rig
99' GTI 2.0 N/A, Auto, Black, - Beater DD - GONE!!
05' Camry 2.4, Auto, Red, - New DD Beater

Toyota Certified..... Yeah Right...
My truck is Avy Certified!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
I'd be willing to bring a lawn chair and assume a "management" position for a little while
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
I had the same thing happen with my front seat bolt, I ended up tack welding the nut to hold it in place then was able to remove it and weld it up. Keep up the progress. What is your date for trail ready?

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
I had the same thing happen with my front seat bolt, I ended up tack welding the nut to hold it in place then was able to remove it and weld it up. Keep up the progress. What is your date for trail ready?
Well, if I had the brakes working I could technically take it out whenever as it does run and there are no major problems. However, there is the fact that it smokes like crazy. So if I went, I'd have to be in the back of the group or you guys will be choking on the exhaust. I also have to get a tow bar and tow lights yet.

I'm going to be ordering quite a few things from Trail-Gear shortly.

Brake lines front and rear
Wheel Spacers
Histeer kit

And I think a couple other parts. I'd like to order everything all at once, dual case adapter, dual tcase crossmember, etc, but I have to wait until I can get help to rip the tcase apart before I order that, as I'm still not sure if I truely have the 23 spline tcase or not.

As long as the weather holds out and I don't procrastinate, I should have her all cleaned up inside and out, and my buddy from work is going to come over and get her painted up. I'm still deciding on the interior. I'm either going to rattlecan it with PlastiDip flat black paint, or get that garage floor epoxy/enamel to do the interior.

That should be done in the next two weeks if not sooner. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in, so the weather has to cooperate with me. Last night was perfect. It was cold enough that I couldn't sit still for too long which motivated me to keep moving, but it wasn't too cold that I was like F this, I'm going inside.

As for a true trail date, I'm hoping it's completed by Takeover. Although I hope it's done before then so I can get some time with the truck and make sure everything is working good.

Web Wheeler
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Update:

Got the interior gutted. With the help of my dad and some frustration we got the two front seats out.

We managed to brake the passenger seat. And the bolt with the broken nut on the driver side literally ripped right out of the mounting hole. Now I have a bed full of scrap interior parts and nowhere to go with them. The pictures don't show it, but the all the interior panels are off. The only thing left is the dash and the head liner.

I should be cleaning tomorrow...rain or shine.

Web Wheeler
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Not too bad. I've paid more for worse.

Sean

I got nothin'
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well today was nice so I got my ass in gear and started prepping the interior for Operation Pressure Wash.

Removed the ECU
Waterproofed all loose wiring harnesses
Taped plastic to the windshield to keep the dash from getting hosed down

Here's what it looked like before:

Here's what it looks like now:

Looks like I buffed the inside out don't it? Never knew it would look that nice and shiny after seeing all the shit that was built up inside. I also managed to pressure wash the undercarriage and suspension. The frame doesn't look all that bad now that I blasted most of the surface rust off. In fact, the body is in worse shape than the frame.

I sprayed greased lightning over everything inside and out. I'll be hosing her down again tomorrow. Once everything dries the insides getting painted. Then I'll move onto the outside.

I was checking out my neighbors backyard. Looks like there is a nice trail to screw around on back there. A couple of minor obstacles. Should be good enough to get the feel of driving manual.

I really wish I had a garage and new what the heck I was doing. I just want to tear the thing apart and start rebuilding it. Hell if I had the garage part I'd at least try it.

Web Wheeler
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good man. Almost like new. If I keep pluging away at mine ill be able to give you a had soon. Before you paint the inside scuff it with an SOS pad, it will help with the paint staying in a few years. We'll get yeah running.

It's Stock I swear

Worry when we stop busting your balls

Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/mudrunner90
http://www.rightcoast4x4.com
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Looking good, doesn't look like you had the sound deadening material on your floor, that stuff was a pain to remove on mine. Keep it up.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I took the advice of my coworker (Same guy who's gonna spray the outside for me) and bought some POR15 for the inside. I got a quart of the paint and a bottle of the metal prep for 65$. I think I'm going to do the frame as well.

After helping someone else on here paint his frame, I'm sure a quart will be plenty to do the inside and the frame. I figured I'd probably spend just as much for spray paint and this stuff is supposed to be a lot more durable. Not to mention it'll help keep what's left of my cab in one piece. Well hopefully.

Web Wheeler
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

I was supervising.... that should be enough.... Oh yeah thanks again for painting my frame along with Amy.

It's Stock I swear

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy87 View Post
I was supervising.... that should be enough.... Oh yeah thanks again for painting my frame along with Amy.
You don't have to thank me. It's my way of thanking you!

Anyways, I forgot to mention that my coworker is also going to let me borrow his Mig welder along with a grinder/cut off wheel. I'm going to attempt to fix the rust hole in the driver side floorboard.

I need to know two things:

1) Are there any fuel lines underneath the driver side up towards the body mount?

2) What gauge sheet metal should I buy to patch the hole with?

I figure I have to learn how to weld sooner or later, why not try it with something that won't be supporting any weight?

Web Wheeler
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Nope nothing under the drivers side. I had to fix mine as well. I just used whatever metal I had laying around, I ended up using the metal from the front facia air dam thing from the front of the 4 Runner actually. Used it for all the body work on the truck, worked well.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Cool. I found out last night, thanks to Jordan that I have to be super careful cutting around the steering column mount. Appartently there is a hard line mounted behind it for the clutch. The not so big hole on the driver's side is a lot worse than I originally thought. Half the floorboard and most of the area underneath the pedals needs to come out if I'm going to get it done right. As long as I can get a piece of metal tacked in solidly, everything will be OK! If there are any gaps that I can't fill due to lack of experience, I will plug with sound dampening material I have left over from my Tacoma.

Web Wheeler
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that much replacement, okay I only had a small amount compared. Just take your time and tack everything. FYI, there is some sound deadening fiber type material up in the dash, it is FLAMABLE, ask me how I know Maybe yours won't have it being an 85.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner

Was
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
Wow, that much replacement, okay I only had a small amount compared. Just take your time and tack everything. FYI, there is some sound deadening fiber type material up in the dash, it is FLAMABLE, ask me how I know Maybe yours won't have it being an 85.
Oh I got sound deadening fiber up there alright. Same stuff they used in my new Tacoma. Luckily most of it is peeling right off the sheetmetal. Hopefully it won't be a PITA to completely remove.

Web Wheeler
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I came up with a name for my 4Runner last night. Before you read the name, think South Park, and what I look like.

DAYWALKER

I had Jordan crying last night, that's how hard he was laughing.

Web Wheeler
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I came up with a name for my 4Runner last night. Before you read the name, think South Park, and what I look like.

DAYWALKER

I had Jordan crying last night, that's how hard he was laughing.
Haha nice! That is a great name
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have sheet metal that you can use...

It's Stock I swear

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy87 View Post
I have sheet metal that you can use...
Sweet! I'll start laying down the metal prep stuff tonight. Hopefully the weather holds out and the 4Runner will be dry thanks to your squirl fan tomorrow. If it is, she'll be painted inside. Well all except for the hole in the floorboard. I don't want to do what you did. Paint the frame and then have to grind it down to bare metal to weld.

Web Wheeler
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

lol yeah

It's Stock I swear

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

One coat of POR-15 done:

I'm dreading the 2nd coat. Even with the squirel fan and a so called paint respirator I'm higher than Mt. Everest. Not nearly as bad as the spray paint incident in my room, but not too far off either.

I intentionally left a few spots bare. Specifically the front driver's side. No point in painting metal that's going to be getting cut out anyways. I left the doors alone for now as well. I'll probably only run them during the colder months so I may not paint them at all.

Web Wheeler
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I had a friend of the family come over to my house today to change my mother's brakes. While he was here I had him check out the 4Runner. He confirmed what all of you had said about the gas mixture being way too high. He also pointed out that the coolant temp sensor isn't even hooked up. I don't think any of us caught onto that.

My dad also pointed out another problem when we tried to get it started up today. The hot wire feeding the fuse box in the engine bay is smoking. You can actually see where the insulation started to melt on the wire. It's a good thing my dad caught it because I never noticed it any other time we had the thing running.

Web Wheeler
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Rodge, Ever think about going to the yard and just picking up all the wiring harnesses for your truck?

It's easier than you may think.

Pete
+ + + =

+ = NOTHING!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mph toy View Post
Hey Rodge, Ever think about going to the yard and just picking up all the wiring harnesses for your truck?

It's easier than you may think.
I have a spare harness actually. Problem is, the connectors on some of the sensors are different. I may end up just splicing different harness connectors onto the main wiring harness where I need them.

Web Wheeler
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well there is definitely a sensor missing. It goes in the metal tube where the coolant goes into the engine before the thermostat. Weird thing is, that sensor isn't on the spare 22RE I have. However, me and Jordan were both flipping through his Hayne's manual and found ONE picture of it. It has a single picture of it on page 31, and it's very easy to spot.

As for the smoking wire near the fuse box I'm pretty sure any idiot could figure out why it's smoking after taking a look at it. The wire coming from the fuse box is about an 8 gauge wire, however, it has been spliced into what appears to be a 16 gauge wire with 2 butt connectors and whole assortment of other shit to get it to reach the battery. I'll be replacing that entire wire once I get the chance.

If I take a picture of this "missing" sensor do you think one of you guys may know what it is?

Oh yeah, I'll be giving Trail Gear a call on Friday. Going to order the following:

Brake lines - Front and Rear
Hi-Steer Kit
Power Steering Bracket for the frame
Wheel Spacers for the front
Spool

I'm so anxious to finally take this thing out.

Web Wheeler
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I managed to find time after taking the parents out to dinner to at least remove the hot wire from the fuse box. I have no clue how you're supposed to remove the bolt holding the wire in without cutting the fuse box open, but that's what I ended up doing.

The old wire minus the ten feet or so of electric tape:

The new wire I made using some wire Jordan gave me:

The pictures don't do it justice, but the copper plate with the two holes in it is nice and shiny now. I used my dad's bench grinder with a wire wheel to get all the corrosion off. Before I put all this back in I'm going to coat it all with diox (spelling?) grease. My friend's an electrician and is hooking me up with a container of it.

Question:

Originally the main wire to the fuse box was crimped onto that copper plate. Is it OK if I just use one of the bolts that hold it to the fuse panel to hold that main wire in? I can't get the crimped spot open to recrimp it.

Web Wheeler
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rodge,

FYI - Now anyone correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure that the white portion of the old wire is fuseable link wire. Just so that you're aware of that.

Pete
+ + + =

+ = NOTHING!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mph toy View Post
Rodge,

FYI - Now anyone correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure that the white portion of the old wire is fuseable link wire. Just so that you're aware of that.
I looked it up and found what fusible link wire is for and why I'll be needing to remake that cable after I purchase some fusible link wire. Basically it's there so the rest of the system doesn't catch on fire. Question is...what gauge will I need if I use an 8 gauge wire? According to what I found it is always a 4 gauge difference, meaning I'd be using 4 gauge wire into the fuse box...that's HUGE!

I also read that the wire BEFORE the fusible link will burn up way before the link itself will, meaning I got a short. Damnit, I must have fried something while pressure washing the inside.

Web Wheeler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode