First welding project - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
First welding project

Borrowed my cousin's welder and taught myself how to weld. Decided to build a bed rack for first project. Thought no big deal if I fuck that up.

Actually turned out pretty good. For a rookie anyhow.

First couple practice welds were ugly but by the third one, I started to grasp on.

First weld

Second

Third

Still not perfect but good enough for me...for now anyhow. I know, I need to clean the metal first. Did that when actually welding rack.

Drilled bed and mounted brackets. Then began to cut pieces.

Started tacking in outside frame of rack

Got everything tacked and it seemed to fit pretty good.

Here it is all welded up. Still need to weld in horizontals but ran out of time.

I plan on drilling and tacking in some 3" bolts up through two of the brackets to mount Hi-lift. And maybe weld another bracket on opposite side to hold other camping accessories...shovel, wood mull...whatever.

Oh and Angus1...i actually did the work myself this time. Yes, that really is me under that helmet. So....

Now let the ball busting begin.

2004 V6 Taco XCab TRD SR5 5-Speed
Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Nice first project. Couple welding tips -

Clean the metal really good, even fresh metal from the yard, as it has a coating on it. You want it nice and shinny, can also wipe down with acetone to remove additonal contaminants after grinding.

Your welds look a little on the cold side - may want to do some destructive testing to see what kind of penetration you got - would suck to be going down the highway and hit a bump only to see your Hi Lift go flying.

Slow down and make little e's or c's lapping between the metal. The test welds look like you have the wire speed a little on the high side..

Keep practicing and you will get better.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
Nice first project. Couple welding tips -

Clean the metal really good, even fresh metal from the yard, as it has a coating on it. You want it nice and shinny, can also wipe down with acetone to remove additonal contaminants after grinding.

Your welds look a little on the cold side - may want to do some destructive testing to see what kind of penetration you got - would suck to be going down the highway and hit a bump only to see your Hi Lift go flying.

Slow down and make little e's or c's lapping between the metal. The test welds look like you have the wire speed a little on the high side..

Keep practicing and you will get better.
Thanks for the tips. I did clean the metal with a grinder when welding actual rack. The test weld...i did not. But I will do a little "destructive testing" Good idea. I probably should have showed some close ups of my inside corners. Most of them turned out really nice. "Stack of dimes" nice. I found that inside corners are easiest. Plus, the inside corners came later in the project also. Wire speed seems to be an issue that everyone points out. I'll mess around with that next time. Again...thanks.

Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Sounds good. I hate welding outside corners, I tend to burn through quite a bit

It's nice being able to build your own stuff

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
yes it is. Just talked to my bro-in-law. He built a "catch" rack for his log splitter at the same time I was building my rack. We are gonna go halvsies on a welder this weekend

Got the fever now!!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

The inside corner is easy cause everything is concentrated in the corner. Put a bevel on your material before welding and it will help you some with that.

You need to practice some, use your leftover scrap's and have some fun. Like was said stick to pattern, the C-pattern is good to start. Slow down and watch the puddle of the weld. Once you started look where the wire feeds the puddle. Once you get control of the puddle the world is yours

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

>>>>> www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<<<

02 dodge Ram 4.7 partly stock
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
So...once I control the puddle...the world is mine? I like the sounds of that! Mmmmuwwhaaaaahaaaahahaha!!!!!!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Well maybe not the world

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

>>>>> www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<<<

02 dodge Ram 4.7 partly stock
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Ha. Thanks for the tips though...once I buy this welder, I'm gonna start practicing. I have fun building shit

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to yunit
Pick up a few of these to prep the metal.
http://www.harborfreight.com/replace...ver-66101.html

They clean faster, don't scar the metal, and do not clog. And, as JT said, use some Acetone to clean the metal of any oils.

Pete - 1981 Toyota based buggy
RIGHTCOAST4X4.COM
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to yunit
Also, move anything out of the way that may burn or catch on fire....like that toneau cover in the bed.

Pete - 1981 Toyota based buggy
RIGHTCOAST4X4.COM
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunit View Post
Also, move anything out of the way that may burn or catch on fire....like that toneau cover in the bed.
Ha. I was wondering if anyone would see that. I was actually hoping it would burn.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Picked up a welder over the weekend. Continued on the bed rack. Below is one of my better welds.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

getting there. hope you disconnected your battery leads on the truck. ECU's dont like it. Look good. Looks like flux core? are you pushing or pulling? I used to be the flux core master

It's Stock I swear

Worry when we stop busting your balls

Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/mudrunner90
http://www.rightcoast4x4.com
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Uh...no Didn't disconnect battery. Just tacked it in a couple places though. Hope I didn't fuck anything up. Everything seems ok.

Not flux core. Mig

Finally got it done and bolted it to bed (unpainted) two weeks ago for a camping trip. Wanted to test it out before paint in case I wanted to add or change something. Glad I did cause I noticed some things that I didn't like.

It's finally all done. I just painted it last weekend. I'm heading out to PA Grand Canyon for a fishing trip today. I'll post some pics of the rack when I get back.

Then you guys can start bustin my balls.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
Not flux core. Mig
Are you using gas? If not it is a flux core wire. Still MIG welding

It's Stock I swear

Worry when we stop busting your balls

Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/mudrunner90
http://www.rightcoast4x4.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode