Great Find - Page 3 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to schwyter Send a message via Yahoo to schwyter
[QUOTE=DudeMan;2327954]Hahaa. I saw that too. Was gonna rip on him too but figured he's prolly fed up with it by this point. /QUOTE]

flame away, amigo

here's the videos, best I could do with my iphone, but one's before and one's after. still not 100% complete, but then again it never will be

click the images to view the video on my photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I had a bungee for a tie down for a litttle over a year. I get it looks good. i have a thrush on miine too doesn't sound to bad

It's Stock I swear

Worry when we stop busting your balls

Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/mudrunner90
http://www.rightcoast4x4.com
post #63 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

i've been searching and searching, do you guys know any way to remedy a running rich condition without replacing the injectors? Also, I don't want to send them off to get tested, just to find out they're bad, in the end paying for both new injectors and the flow testing. I am going to calibrate my TPS today and get a new o2 sensor next week. hopefully this helps, cuz i'm getting about 16-17 mpg on a brand new engine and it smells of gas pretty bad. also, my oil smells a little like gas which leds me to believe the injector(s) are leaky in the first place.

any insite would be appreciated

post #64 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
O2 sensor is a good place to start. Too little oxygen and too much fuel will cause improper/incomplete combustion. Look for intake leaks, cracked vacuum line, or maybe you missed a vacuum line somewhere. Also, a leak in the exhaust before the O2 sensor would cause that too.

2004 V6 Taco XCab TRD SR5 5-Speed
Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #65 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
O2 sensor is a good place to start. Too little oxygen and too much fuel will cause improper/incomplete combustion. Look for intake leaks, cracked vacuum line, or maybe you missed a vacuum line somewhere. Also, a leak in the exhaust before the O2 sensor would cause that too.
i'm starting with a new denso o2 sensor, $30 off jegs. I unplugged the current one and if anything it ran better, with no codes being thrown.

still need a BVSV, VSV for the a/c idle up, and all new vacuum lines since the current ones are over 25 years old more than likely. Not to mention the starter's getting pretty tired too...
post #66 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I'm no mechanic by any means...but I can tinker a bit. But I'm willing to bet once those valves are changed and all vacuum lines are replaced, you notice a difference.

Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #67 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I have the 500 mile oil change and checks next week, so it'll all get done then hopefully. vacuum stuff might have to wait a minute as funds are muy important
post #68 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I hear ya on funds. I've been pissing money away on my truck too. The wife just loves it.

post #69 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

i'm in the same boat man, she was just getting on me 10 minutes ago because i'm spending all my extra cash on it

my wife, not yours.
post #70 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwyter View Post
my wife, not yours.
Hahahaaa! That's funny

post #71 of 101 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

well just an update...

almost 800 miles on the rebuild, adjusted the valves again and DAMN, if it didn't have a thrush muffler, .030 over and that cam, you wouldn't even know it was running!!! I just averaged 18 mpg on a 200 mile fill-up, taking into consideration the tires and gears do no equate to stock. Overall, it runs a little rich, even with the new o2 sensor, so i'm going to dig into the AFM this week, rebuild both the starters I have to hopefully remedy the intermittent starting click-no-crank issue.

Near future mods include:
-sending the injectors off to Witch Hunter
-deleting the EGR and all its included vacuum
-v6 brake upgrade
-chevy 63's
-remove IFS lift, replace with BJ spacers
-4.56 gears, maybe a rear locker
-eventually finish painting it lol
post #72 of 101 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Getting in to this bit late.
Instead of replacing starters. Look into the starting circuit on the 22re. Search posts from Big Ern on Pirate for the fix.
I had the same issue on an 87 runner, it clicked without starting. I spliced in a new power source to the starter relay and have not had the issue since.
post #73 of 101 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I tried doing that, but to no avail. A guy here on base at the auto shop helped me out, we cut the STA wiring at the ignition switch and ran it to the starter solendoid. no problems with the starter, now it's a fuel delivery problem. it'll start from time to time, but if i leave it sitting overnight or for more than 10 minutes, it'll just crank. i'm not finding any fuel leaks, except maybe in the injectors which i'm sending off to witchhunter next month. i tested the AFM - all good. I tested the TPS - don't quite remember, but it was working fine after i tested it and hasn't moved. the only thing i can think of is an old OE fuel pump.
post #74 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

turns out this bad boy was running on 3 cylinders the whole time, finally got around to it. my #1 injector straight did not work, so I traded my buddy with a blown 22re my extra TV for all the engine parts I can use haha. had to splice and solder in the new injector wiring, due to different plugs, but now it runs like a top. Still having cold start issues, but I don't mind carrying starting fluid with me. If any one has any input on the subject, I can post the symptoms, but seeing as how this chapter is pretty much dead, i'm not going to hold my breath. no offense to those lurking, i've just noticed a decline in activity over the four years i've been a member
post #75 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Post up what it does fool

And your right, not much activity here anymore. Kinda a shame

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

>>>>> www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<<<

02 dodge Ram 4.7 partly stock
post #76 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

haha alright then.

Well, it'll just crank when trying to start most times, as if its not getting fuel, but it'll start right up if I spray in some starter fluid or carb cleaner. if I'm lucky ill get it to start after its been sitting in the sun for 20-30 minutes. I know it's getting fuel, air, and spark, and I know my timing is straight thanks to mark. I'm swapping out plenums today, so maybe it's just the cold start injector, but what do I know.

next, if you try to rev it to ~1900 RPM, it'll bog down like its going to die, then at ~1500 RPM it will jump back up and stay in this up-down cycle until you give it gas to break free.

finally, not sure if its just because of my shitty block lift, but when I'm driving and let off the gas and step on it again, even with a light foot, it bucks like a mofo, as if I stomped on the gas, and the axle is getting a lot of wrap. the second part is probably true though.

I gotta go but if you need any further clarification just let me know, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about here haha
post #77 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well after you get the intake swapped out let us know if anything changes but...

You should be able to backprobe the CSI to make sure it being told to turn on. Check the CSI, and coolant temp sensor to make sure they are at least doing their job. Wouldnt hurt to pull the AFM and check to make sure the door move's freely as well. They tend to stick sometimes and not close fully.

The surging is pretty common. Vacumm leak's will cause it and so will the T-body being set wrong. Try turning the brass flat head screw on the T-body inward some. You want the engine to idle but idle real high, if that screw is out to far the engine cant compensate for the extra air.

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

post #78 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man ( ... jordan? sorry, it's been over 3 years since i've seen you all, and that was only once or twice). I'll take pictures tomorrow of it all, still waiting on my 5mge AFM to swap in.

Today I swapped the plenums, but kept my throttle body because I didn't want to swap the TPS, as I've read that that is necessary. I did however take off the idle air control valve. My idle is being kind of wierd, but I think that's because I used the new plenum and the old TB and throttle cable. I replaced all of the vacuum lines on the intake as well.

I have had none of the negative effects of the EGR removal that everyone talks about. Before I get flamed for it, my crossover plate is completely clogged, as are most of the internal passages.

I'm thinking it is the CSI time switch, because when it was hotter than dick during october when I first got it running, I didn't need starter fluid, only when the temperature dropped. Now it gets as low as 55 at night, and only 80 at the highest. i know i'm going to miss this when i'm back in PA, but the summers here a brutal.

Would how to check the CSI time switch be in the FSM? I tried finding it on ttora/yotatech/pirate, and haven't found much on it.
post #79 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

It's Eric, Jordan is rocktoy87.

I run no egr and basically deleted everything not needed on my 22re. It runs fine but if its really cold it will idle high till it warms up.

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

post #80 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Eric, my apologies. can't blame me for trying
post #81 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

well, I check the CSI time switch, and with both STA-ground and STJ-ground are out of spec. I used this fsm page as a guide, but tested both to ground to since my plug is sideways and I wanted to be sure
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354941628.153829.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	28676

painted the intake and valve cover, I'll upload more pics tomorrow of my hose routing and such
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354941695.348208.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	28677

1987 SR5 Pickup DD - ENGNBLDR Street RV head/261* cam, TB/Plenum swap, Thorley header w/ 2.25" pipe and thrush turbo
1991 DLX pickup - just..... don't even ask
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's DD)
1978 Pontiac Trans Am 403/400 awaiting resto (wedding gift lol)

This is where your tax dollars go.
post #82 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like your on the right track now

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

post #83 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
And your right, not much activity here anymore. Kinda a shame
I can't offer any advice but I do follow. And I have noticed a decline in activity also...bummer

post #84 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Well, the CSI time switch ohm testing out of spec is confirmed, I took the CSI out and cranked to check for spray, and it's bone dry. Lucky for me though, my buddy has an 89 that i'm cannibalizing in trade for a TV haha. I know the parts are good because his truck was running like a kenyan marathoner till he blew the head gasket (for the third time).

Only issue I'm still having after I swapped the full intake (plenum/throttle body) is that the idle is sitting at about 1200 after the engine's warm and the idle screw all the way in. I tested out the TPS per 4crawler's site, so that's in spec. I can live with it, but for the sake of the engine's longevity i don't think it's great to have it idle at 1200-1300 RPM, rather than the 750-800 i had it set at before.

I still have to give it a spin around town, and I'll upload pics of my vacuum caps and hoses and intake setup later.

Also, would the CSI time switch from the 89 have a different ohm range than my 87? It's a shame that ncttora had to take down there FSM's

1987 SR5 Pickup DD - ENGNBLDR Street RV head/261* cam, TB/Plenum swap, Thorley header w/ 2.25" pipe and thrush turbo

post #85 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

hell yea, I'm the man haha

new time switch worked fine but I guess the CSI was shorting somewhere in the harness. I don't have the time or patience to dig into that again, so I wired up to spray when the starter cranks...

+CSI tapped into +starter solenoid, and grounded to the intake ground.

only time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but I'm feeling very conident.

post #86 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the intake setup and a close-up of the vacuum caps I made with my own wits and ingenuity haha

Going to order some intercooler piping and coupling to finish off the intake. On top of the plenum/TB swap and 5mge AFM swap, this baby'll be sucking more than a Thai hooker in a port town.

Still on the list:
-header and 2.25" all the way back
-V6 brake upgrade
-finish paint
-bed liner (have full raptor kit in hand, just too lazy to sand)
-find out why the g-d damn clutch lines are leaking, and where from

post #87 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

One more thing, the reason my alternator wasn't charging. gotta love neglected 25 year old car parts

post #88 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I know I'm getting a little trigger happy with the posts, but just had to share this one.

snagged a thorley tri-y header barely used for $160 and a drive to Phoenix.

post #89 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwyter View Post
One more thing, the reason my alternator wasn't charging. gotta love neglected 25 year old car parts

Interesting.

Looks identical to what I found when I pulled one apart that started on fire!

Web Wheeler
post #90 of 101 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

yea, I guess I caught it in time. $20 from the toyota dealer and 30 minutes of my time, sure as shit better than an engine fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode