Lefty Or Duals - Page 2 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
It doesn't have to be, but it is ideal with the gears in the back. Also going with a geared Lefty, you end up with the situation that Mark mentioned with gearing on access road and what not.

Your approaching or surpassing the cost of and Atlas II transfer case with a geared Lefty with chromoly parts. I highly doubt you would break an Atlas.
Well, you can wire the ADD to a switch...then you would have shift on the fly. So the access roads aren't my concern. It's the fact that you mentioned...cost. But, I got time to save and not in any huge hurry.

Your right, I'd never break an Atlas (or even a lefty for that matter). I'm not extremely hard on my truck at all.

2004 V6 Taco XCab TRD SR5 5-Speed
Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
PA VP

Quote:

Your approaching or surpassing the cost of and Atlas II transfer case with a geared Lefty with chromoly parts. I highly doubt you would break an Atlas.
^^^THIS^^^

Mark

pictures

88 4runner loaded v6 sr5, on 35" BFG KM2's,
5" SAS, 30 splines,high pinion e-locker,5.29's,
4.7's. custom 15x10 eagle 589 wheels with rock rings

04 4runner v6 limited, family hauler

05 Toyota Matrix XRS 2ZZ 6spd, daily driver

post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
PA VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
Well, you can wire the ADD to a switch...then you would have shift on the fly. So the access roads aren't my concern. It's the fact that you mentioned...cost. But, I got time to save and not in any huge hurry.

Your right, I'd never break an Atlas (or even a lefty for that matter). I'm not extremely hard on my truck at all.
running the setup you have you will never break a tacoma transer case either even with a crawl box in front of it.. like Andy said scott has never had a problem with his transfer cases and he isn't exactly easy on his stuff and also the reason he runs a tacoma t-case is because the lefty wasnt even out yet when he did his dual case setup so thats the reason for the 5.0:1 gears in the crawl box

Mark

pictures

88 4runner loaded v6 sr5, on 35" BFG KM2's,
5" SAS, 30 splines,high pinion e-locker,5.29's,
4.7's. custom 15x10 eagle 589 wheels with rock rings

04 4runner v6 limited, family hauler

05 Toyota Matrix XRS 2ZZ 6spd, daily driver

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

I have pics on my home pc, but it isn't working right now, so you'll have to come see it at TO!

I haven't had any problems with the setup I have, besides a leak that I can't seem to stop.

PA President

D44 3 Link W/coilovers
Dual cases Triple shifters
37" MTR's 4.88's Locked F&R
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone View Post
I have pics on my home pc, but it isn't working right now, so you'll have to come see it at TO!

I haven't had any problems with the setup I have, besides a leak that I can't seem to stop.
Dammit...everyone's trying to coax me into goin to TO. Can't make it this year. Don't worry about those pics. I doubt I'll be going with triple sticks anyways.

Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jamarquardt22
This is the only time Scott wheels. You won't see him till next year!

Andy

86 4 Runner 4cly 5-speed trail rig in the works
Dual's 4.7, locked F/R 37's 1 1/2" lift and IFS

06 Honda Ridgeline RTL, DD and towrig.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarquardt22 View Post
Ouch..you gonna take that scott!

I know, I wish I could make it for a couple of reasons. It's definitely a good time. Have fun you guys.

post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lies!

I wheeled with him a few months ago!

Web Wheeler
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Let's look at this another way, what trails do you currently run and what do you plan on running along with additional mods to your truck.

Take Andy for example in his old Tacoma, dual cases with the stock t-case, he wheeled all over the place at Rausch on blues, blacks, and a red here and there with 33's and it did awesome at wheeling and as a daily driver. More seat time would probably get you further than a Lefty or dual cases as your Tacoma is pretty well built to the point of really no needing anything else other than knowing what your truck can do and what you can do with it. I would have no problem taking you down any number of the black trails with the setup you currently have. Yeah you may need a rock stacked or a tug here or there, but you would be surprised what it can do.

Seems like the guys that are breaking stock cases and other stuff are running much larger tires than you currently have and are also out west where the rocks offer much more traction as compared to east coast wheeling. The traction that can be had out west will break parts very easily.

Like has been said, Scott is running duals with 37's and lockers front and rear - so far so good and when he wheels it is blacks and reds. Back in the day Turner from down in Virginia ran blacks and reds with dual cases and 33's or 35's on a second gen Tacoma with a Marlin Crawler dual setup - never heard of any issues, but I didn't know him very well.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Well, the last time I came down to RC I ran blues, and some said lower level blacks but I can't be sure of that. I could look at the trail maps and give you some trail names if that helps. I see myself spending a lot of time over at Rock Run...it's only 45 min away from home.

Future mods to truck consist of...well, the current topic, some coil-overs at some point, and I have a set of All Pro uniball UCA's that I'm currently rebuilding. Will be running 33's for the most part but will probably eventually go 35's. My Dakars are spent so I'll be replacing those with All Pro 3 inchers probably. Probably lock the front at some point too. And no...I doubt I'll ever SAS it.

And you sneaky lil bugger!!! You busted me over on pirate. HAHAAA!! Those choices I posted over there were from your recommendations. Just doing all the research I possibly can...ya know. The extra for the 4.7 gearing in the lefty (which I was unaware of until now) changes everything.

post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Unfortunately I haven't been to Rock Run, so I am not sure how the trails compare to Rausch or the former Paragon, but with the mods in mind, it sounds like a great all around truck. I will say that once you go to 35's the front end will start to hate you such as steering rack, bushings and ball joints.

As for Pirate it is quite expensive to go with a geared Lefty all said and done and still leaves you with 1:1 high range and stupid low in lo range.

Another area that you could save some money would be the crossmember. When I had my Tacoma and was getting the parts together for dual cases, I got a bracket from another member that has duals in his Tacoma that welded to the back of the stock crossmember and bolted to the crawl box. It was very simple and worked quite well. Probably cost about $10 to make out of 1/4" steel.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't been to Rock Run, so I am not sure how the trails compare to Rausch or the former Paragon, but with the mods in mind, it sounds like a great all around truck. I will say that once you go to 35's the front end will start to hate you such as steering rack, bushings and ball joints.

As for Pirate it is quite expensive to go with a geared Lefty all said and done and still leaves you with 1:1 high range and stupid low in lo range.

Another area that you could save some money would be the crossmember. When I had my Tacoma and was getting the parts together for dual cases, I got a bracket from another member that has duals in his Tacoma that welded to the back of the stock crossmember and bolted to the crawl box. It was very simple and worked quite well. Probably cost about $10 to make out of 1/4" steel.
Yeah...the 33's will prolly be a staple...at least for a long while. I'm not sure I wanna open the can of worms that is steering, ball joints, etc. I like working on my truck but, not with that pesky shit.

As for the lefty...after it being beat into my skull I understand the downfalls of it now. And in all honesty, for my wheeling level, the duals will more than suffice. Plus I now see the many more gearing options you get form them is much more practical vs. the lefty. As for crossmember and driveshafts...I can take care of the crossmember...having a welder now I think I could fab something up for that. But for driveshafts...I'll have to outsource that.

When I'm ready to pull the trigger, be ready, cause I'll probably be picking your brain as to exactly the best way to go about this. It's still new to me and I don't wanna half ass it just to get duals. I wanna do it right and be sure I have a solid setup under my ass.

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

By all means get duals....i went from duals in my tacoma to a single 4.7 case in my current truck and it sucks....i hate not having the stock low range as a option for mild trails / access roads / trails that require wheel speed.

As far as strength....i bought Andy's dual setup after his truck went back and put it behind my v-6 and wheeled it all over / dayly drove it with zero issues.

~ Todd

85 ex. cab 1 tons, coilovers, ect

09 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins.....Tow rig
post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Fud View Post
By all means get duals....i went from duals in my tacoma to a single 4.7 case in my current truck and it sucks....i hate not having the stock low range as a option for mild trails / access roads / trails that require wheel speed.

As far as strength....i bought Andy's dual setup after his truck went back and put it behind my v-6 and wheeled it all over / dayly drove it with zero issues.

Good to know...thanks man

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Well, quick update just in case anyone cares. I'm merging my "shafted" thread into this one for simplicity.

After much debate, lots of reading and many recommendations from folks, I've decided to go duals and forget the lefty.

I have sourced a spare driveshaft. Rear from Xcelr8 (thanks man) and front from junkyard. Now I just gotta take it to the local driveline shop to get modified for duals.

I'm going with the built Tacoma Double case from inchworm - 23 spline. Since my truck is a DD, it was the best option for me. I bit more pricier than building my own but, a lot less downtime on truck and I trust inchworms skills much more than mine

At any rate, I'll update more later (most likely with pics) when the case comes in and driveshafts are ready.

This is fun.

post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
The goodies have arrived

Now it just a matter of finding the time to build a crossmember support and install. Oh, and get shafts modified.

post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Plug the unused hole in the crawl box where the shift rail is missing. If you don't you will fill the tail housing of your tranny with gear lub from the crawler

Andy

post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Plug the unused hole in the crawl box where the shift rail is missing. If you don't you will fill the tail housing of your tranny with gear lub from the crawler
Gotcha! Thanks.

You mean this hole? The shift rail is in the other hole.

]

How do you suppose I go about doing that? Inchworm did not supply a plug for that hole...I don't think. Didn't see one anyhow.

post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I used a rubber expansion plug I got at ace. I would also try and cover te plug with permatex. Rubber and oil don't get along well.

Andy

post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. That sounds like something I'd screw up.

About Permatex...I've been looking at a few of those. Is this the best stuff for plugging holes and sealing adapter plates?

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

or

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ge_sealant.htm

post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Either should work. Mostly I use gray

Andy

post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
I used a rubber expansion plug I got at ace. I would also try and cover te plug with permatex. Rubber and oil don't get along well.
Any other little things that I might over look? Or tricks that you veterans may have?

I'm a reduction box virgin.

post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. If your clocking the t case you need to plug the stock breather and relocate it. Either by tapping the top left of the shifter or by t-ing into the breather for the push button 4x4 actuator. If you don't oil will come out the breather

Andy

post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
The goodies have arrived

Now it just a matter of finding the time to build a crossmember support and install. Oh, and get shafts modified.
It looks like there is a drain hole where the lower bearing goes. Wtf? I don't remember that. Maybe Jim changed the designe to use the tranny tail housing for extra oil capacity. Maybe give him a call to find out

Andy

post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Yeah...I noticed that. There is actually two. One big and one small one. That would seem to me like a lot of unnecessary oil. I've got lots of questions. I'll talk to him.

Thanks Andy for these lil tips.

post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
It looks like there is a drain hole where the lower bearing goes. Wtf? I don't remember that. Maybe Jim changed the designe to use the tranny tail housing for extra oil capacity. Maybe give him a call to find out
No need to plug the unused shift rail hole due to those lower holes in the adapter. Reason those holes are there is that on the previous models...on steep declines...those who did not plug the shift rail hole would lose oil in the tail housing and it had no way to get back in gear box. So they drilled lower holes. And...for extra oil capacity.

post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Finally got something done to update with:

Before:

After:

post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Very good. Now on to the rest of it

Andy

post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Ha. Yeah...i'm having a hard time finding the time.

post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Well...all done. Still have the floor board wide open to keep an eye on shifter leaks and stuff. But other than that. She's all in.

Below are some pics but this is not a how to thread. I'm sure most of you know "how to" anyways.

First I marked up the holes that needed plugged and drilled out the hole that needed drilled.

Then I cleaned everything up, painted the surfaces with gasket maker, placed gasket in then bolted up tranny adapter.

Now on to t-case. That damn coupler was on there good.

Got the two cases ready, cleaned them up, sealed them, and bolted up.

Then prepared tranny. The pic below just shows the coupler. The seal extension has to go on yet. I had to plug the mount holes with JB cause they went the whole way through the housing. Got a lil sloppy with the JB.

Then, lots of other steps but it's in:

So...Looks like it went flawlessly right? Think again. Let everything set overnight then I checked it all out for leaks in the morning. Low and behold, it was leaking between the two rear adapters. Why? Well, cause I forgot to fawking seal them.

Dropped the t-case, took off rear adapter, sealed it and re-installed. Good to go. Not so fast. when I installed the second time, I torqued the bottom bolts of the stock t-case first and worked my way up without checking shifter movement. Sure enough, it was misaligned just enough to block the shift rail. I was stuck in 4lo

So the next day, dropped t-case again, scraped, cleaned, re-sealed and re-installed. This time torquing the top two bolts next to shift rail to lock that in place...tested shifter movement then worked my way down to the other bolts. Everything is operating correctly now

Finally good to go. For real this time. I guess just rookie bonehead mistakes.

But I learned a lot and that's a good thing. Even though it was the hard way.

Last edited by DudeMan; 11-15-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode