Finally got a locker - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Location: Downingtown , PA / WEST GROVE, PA by way of KOBLENZ , GERMANY
Send a message via AIM to crawyota Send a message via Yahoo to crawyota
Finally got a locker

well today when I got home I had a box from MARLIN CRAWLER waiting for me. inside was a brand new SPARTAN lunchbox style locker . cant wait to get it put in and use it .

>> DAVE <<
MINION---->> 2007 FJ CRUISER All Pro Sliders
]

DOESN'T BARBIE DRIVE A JEEP???.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FJCRUISERSandXTERRAS/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Right on!

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

>>>>> www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<<<

02 dodge Ram 4.7 partly stock
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Oh that's right, you're open/open. You're in for a nice treat when you finally get that put in. Places you had to "bump" it you'll walk right over like it was flat!

Web Wheeler

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
That's quite possibly my next investment. I think I have a bearing going bad in my front diff...it likes to whistle at me. Thinking of putting a locker in it when I have it rebuilt.

2004 V6 Taco XCab TRD SR5 5-Speed
Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jamarquardt22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawyota View Post
well today when I got home I had a box from MARLIN CRAWLER waiting for me. inside was a brand new SPARTAN lunchbox style locker . cant wait to get it put in and use it .
so your going to get out and wheel more often right? youll like it just gotta learn to drive again.

Andy

86 4 Runner 4cly 5-speed trail rig in the works
Dual's 4.7, locked F/R 37's 1 1/2" lift and IFS

06 Honda Ridgeline RTL, DD and towrig.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I would like to know if anyone on here has run a lunchbox style locker up front on an IFS tacoma...with ADD.

I'm thinking of getting one but would like to know how they handle when in 2WD. I know the diff is not spinning in 2WD but the axles do. And since the axles still spin when in 2WD, and the lunchbox lockers are connected through the axles...does it cause weird handling?

Thanks.

Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
I would like to know if anyone on here has run a lunchbox style locker up front on an IFS tacoma...with ADD.

I'm thinking of getting one but would like to know how they handle when in 2WD. I know the diff is not spinning in 2WD but the axles do. And since the axles still spin when in 2WD, and the lunchbox lockers are connected through the axles...does it cause weird handling?

Thanks.
It will be like its not even there in 2wd. Your dif has a actuator that connects both axles when on and sepperates them when off. Some people have wired it up to work like a poor mans selectable locker turning it into 3wd to turn sharper. I think Avy has one he never put in. He may sell it.

Andy

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YotaFun Send a message via Yahoo to YotaFun
I do have one that I have never put in, I need to make sure I have all the parts for it and then we can talk prices if your interested

Avdian (Avy, Av, , Eddie are some nick names)
97' SR5 4Runner, 3.4l, Auto, Sonoran Steel System 1.51, 4.30 E-locked - Current Trail Rig
97' Limited Edition 3.4l, Auto - Possible New Trail Rig
99' GTI 2.0 N/A, Auto, Black, - Beater DD - GONE!!
05' Camry 2.4, Auto, Red, - New DD Beater

Toyota Certified..... Yeah Right...
My truck is Avy Certified!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
I'd be willing to bring a lawn chair and assume a "management" position for a little while
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
I do have one that I have never put in, I need to make sure I have all the parts for it and then we can talk prices if your interested
What kind is it? Spartan...LockRight?....etc.

And why didn't you install it?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YotaFun Send a message via Yahoo to YotaFun
Honestly do not know the specific brand, I got it off of Andy, I presume its a LockRight.

I ended up buying and already build front diff with 4.88, while its still open and open diff, I am too lazy to put it in.

Plus since I looks like it wont be my main wheeler soon, I am thinking of just sticking with the rear locker and putting, all mod funds into the new rig when that build starts and the frame swap is done

Avdian (Avy, Av, , Eddie are some nick names)
97' SR5 4Runner, 3.4l, Auto, Sonoran Steel System 1.51, 4.30 E-locked - Current Trail Rig
97' Limited Edition 3.4l, Auto - Possible New Trail Rig
99' GTI 2.0 N/A, Auto, Black, - Beater DD - GONE!!
05' Camry 2.4, Auto, Red, - New DD Beater

Toyota Certified..... Yeah Right...
My truck is Avy Certified!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
I'd be willing to bring a lawn chair and assume a "management" position for a little while
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

90% sure it's a lock right. Not too hard to install since you aren't setting up gears.

Andy

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I would need to know exactly what it is, if all the parts are there, and a pic before I'd buy anything

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

I had identified it on www.gearinstalls.com and all the parts were there with no signs of damage or wear.

Andy

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW I had a lockrite in my rig before I got rid of it. Worked great on with my 38" creepies. I've personally heard a lot of NOISY lockrites in other applications than the Toyota platform (7.5" IFS/8" SA) diffs, but mine operated smoothly and had no noise. This was even with a carrier with spun carrier bearings.

Eric runs one in his front 60 (maybe rear 14B, can't remember which) and his works great too with no noise or problems. I've seen quite a few people that had Detroits that have problems where only one side engages at a time. Kajo's does this a lot!

Web Wheeler
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I'll prolly just have ECGS install a new one when they rebuild my diff. Just can't decide between LockRight or Spartan.

Both same price but the spartan is supposed to be new and improved over the LockRight.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Why do you think it needs rebuilt any way. I think it's more likely you have a wheel bearing going out or need to replace brake pads. Before you spend the money on a rebuild think about buying a used diff. 410's should be less then 100 for a front diff. And avys lock right is like new. Bet he'd sell for about 150

Andy

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarquardt22 View Post
I think it's more likely you have a wheel bearing going out or need to replace brake pads.
I think you would be wrong. Bearing yes, but wheel bearing no. And it's not brake pads either. It's inside the diff.

And I have a used diff, But I don't feel like putting a new locker in a diff with over 200k on it. Not sure how much over 200k...could be 299k for all I know.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Location: Downingtown , PA / WEST GROVE, PA by way of KOBLENZ , GERMANY
Send a message via AIM to crawyota Send a message via Yahoo to crawyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarquardt22 View Post
so your going to get out and wheel more often right? youll like it just gotta learn to drive again.
I dont know if I'll wheel more often , but prolly better. the only reason I havent been out this last year is that I have an injury , and I cant sit in the vehicle with out extreme pain in my knee. but that will hopefully get fixed by the end of march.

>> DAVE <<
MINION---->> 2007 FJ CRUISER All Pro Sliders
]

DOESN'T BARBIE DRIVE A JEEP???.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FJCRUISERSandXTERRAS/
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
FWIW I had a lockrite in my rig before I got rid of it. Worked great on with my 38" creepies. I've personally heard a lot of NOISY lockrites in other applications than the Toyota platform (7.5" IFS/8" SA) diffs, but mine operated smoothly and had no noise. This was even with a carrier with spun carrier bearings.

Eric runs one in his front 60 (maybe rear 14B, can't remember which) and his works great too with no noise or problems. I've seen quite a few people that had Detroits that have problems where only one side engages at a time. Kajo's does this a lot!
I went thru 3 lockrights in 1.5 years, I set up 1 and a shop set up 2. All 3 were noisy. I went to a Detroit after #3 and it was great, very little noise and very smooth. Never broke either. Just my
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

I do have a lockright in a my 60 and it work's great. I have broken 5 or so U-joint's and at least 2 chromo 35spline shafts and its still working fine. I had it out right before Takeover last year cause my housing cracked and it had very little wear on it. Its been in since 2007 and has never given me any trouble. I'll run another in a heartbeat in a d60 BUT its twice the size of a 8inch toy unit. For reference the pin's are at least as thick as a Bic pen.

I went through Red's 3rd before he put it in. Set it up properly and made sure the side clearances of the locker were good. It was as close to perfect as it could get with a used gearset when it went in. Less than perfect is a good way to describe it before

94toy truck

Ton's links and slinky's

>>>>> www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<<<

02 dodge Ram 4.7 partly stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode