51 Chevy Restoration - Page 4 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Now that we got it running and addressed a few leaks (vacuum, oil and water) we can now get to adjusting the valves and really make it purr.

Below you'll see a couple cool vids. This one you'll see pap in there with feeler gauges. We adjusted accordingly. Did this while it was running...not exactly easy to loosen and tighten adjusting nuts while it's moving up and down but we did it.

Here is a vid of adjusted valves running good.

Man-o-man is it rewarding when you get to this stage. A few beers were had that night.

2004 V6 Taco XCab TRD SR5 5-Speed
Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Nothing special here...just wanted to share a few more photos.

My dad re-torquing head bolts down after engine was warm. Gotta make sure everything is buttoned down. This should not be over-looked for those of you who are new to engine rebuilds like me. You'd be surprised how things can loosen up on first warm up of a fresh engine.

Here's pap just giving er a final once over before we hung it up for the night.

Anybody still out there? No one has chimed in for awhile. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

...And Stock02...where have you been?

Dakar w/ D43XL add-a-leaf & Billies 5125 - 2.0" Sway A Way RaceRunners - LR UCA's - Skid Row Front Skid & Homemade Belly Pans - Homemade Sliders - Homemade Bed Rack - All-Pro Rear Bumper - Wheelers Steelies - 33's - Inchworm Crawl Box
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Couple more little things to share.

On the side of the valve cover of these old trucks they displayed the name of the engine..for example Thriftmaster and Blueflame. Now there are two different types of Thriftmasters. The 235 and the 216. Ours happens to be the 216 and each had their own logo. Now you can purchase a decal through certain venders but we didn't like how they looked. So this is what we did.

Below is pic of original valve cover.

...and this is the decal you can buy...

Needless to say it's just not quite right. So here is what we did.

Having the computer programs at my disposal I recreated the logo in illustrator and made a stencil from vinyl and stuck them on the valve cover and taped everything off.

Spray painted over it all and carefully removed decal. Below is the finished result.
Much better than the decal...we believe.

It's the little finishing touches that really makes me smile. Oh...and now that she runs under her own power...I took her for a spin up the neighborhood today for the first time. No hood, fenders, or bed. Just cab and engine...That felt good.

post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YotaFun Send a message via Yahoo to YotaFun
Looking awesome!
Great color blue too!

Avdian (Avy, Av, , Eddie are some nick names)
97' SR5 4Runner, 3.4l, Auto, Sonoran Steel System 1.51, 4.30 E-locked - Current Trail Rig
97' Limited Edition 3.4l, Auto - Possible New Trail Rig
99' GTI 2.0 N/A, Auto, Black, - Beater DD - GONE!!
05' Camry 2.4, Auto, Red, - New DD Beater

Toyota Certified..... Yeah Right...
My truck is Avy Certified!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
I'd be willing to bring a lawn chair and assume a "management" position for a little while
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Well we've been hard at it lately. Been spending time on a little assembly. Sounds easy right? Think again. Lots and lots of loosening, tightening, adjusting and re-adjusting bolts to make things fit. This old truck has been a bit of a bear to get right. But at any rate...here is how she sits now. Enjoy.

Finally got the fenders mounted. (pay no attention to the little green wire currently holding up the hoses to the firewall...that's just temporary.)

Then we worked on the grill and bumper. That dang grill was a tight fit.

Believe or not...that grill took 3 hours to install. Took a break and went at it the next day with the headlights and hood.

BOOM!!!

BOOM SHACKA LACKA!!!

It's actually starting to look like a truck now. Almost can't believe it.

We still have a few gap issues to deal with but that'll have to wait until we have a good whole day to carefully and methodically tweak it. I'll be sure to keep bringing ya'll some more reading material when I can.

Thanks for following along.

post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Looking great man! Love that years body lines

1997 Toyota Tacoma linked SAS,
39s, ARBs, Bobbed, Exo, Full Widths.
1968 Ford F100 big block
03 Cummins 6 speed
09 Acura MDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode