Hi-Lift - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi-Lift

I just got a Hi-Lift, I know should have been first buy but now I have it, and being that I do not have a lot of experience with one of these I have a question. When I used an old farm jack I would push the pin down and it would still stay locked until I started jacking it down. With this new Hi-Lift when I switch the lever to down then pull down on the handle the thing just falls down. Is this what is supposed to happen if there is no load on it?

Could I buy someone a beer to show me how to use this thing? I am a strong believer in knowing how it works before I need to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
ike
Veteran Member

When there is no load and the pin is in the down position they simply fall down.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
If there is a load, stand clear of the handle in case you slip off of it; it can really hurt when it springs up. Turst me.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

This is something I posted in another thread on the national board. I'm not sure if you'll find it useful, but thought I'd post it here anyways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
When using one on the trail:
always have one person holding on to the jack (preferably with 2 hands, one on the i-beam and the other on the handle) while you do whatever you need to do. Never leave the jack holding weight standing all by itself. They can and will fall over if you're pushing on the truck. Think about putting a tire on the wheel studs, you're applying pressure and that's enough to push the truck over. Ask me how I learned this lesson. With somebody holding on to the jack they can feel when things start moving and can usually steady the jack and vehicle while you get the hell out of the way.

When placing the jack to start lifting something, make sure the base is stable and watch the angle of the jack. As you start to lift up, it will tilt in, you want to be sure that it goes straight up/down when you get to the height you need, so start with it slightly leaning back. Make sure it's square (side to side) to whatever your lifting too, if the jack is at an angle, it will either slide or become very unstable the higher it goes. If you're using it on round tube (tube sliders, bumpers, etc), get a tube adapter.

If you need to be under the truck to fix something (broken CV, drive shaft, diff), put a spare tire or something under the lowest point (axle, front cross member, etc) so that if the truck comes down, it will hit that instead of your chest. You might still get hurt, but the chances of being crushed to death drop. It's wise to throw a jack stand in the truck.

When lowering the jack, always always keep one hand on the handle and another on the i-beam, preferably grasping it from the top and stand to the side of the handle. If that handle slips out of your hand, it will start flying up/down. Lots of people have been knocked out, lost teeth, etc.

Pay attention to what the fuck you're doing, use common sense and you'll be fine. The hi-lift is a tool like any other, it can be useful or it can kill you.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode