Lift kit ideas? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to KittenTacoma Send a message via Yahoo to KittenTacoma Send a message via Skype™ to KittenTacoma
Lift kit ideas?

I have a question for everyone. Im planning on getting a lift kit probablly next spring or this summer. What ones are reallly good for their worth and wont break easily? I was thinking a old man emu(is that right?) one for 1K.

I probablly wont do alot of MAJOR rock crawling and such. Maybe small ones but I unno. I want a 2-3 inch lift but I dont think I will go over that. I also am saving up for new bigger tires. Also what tires are better to get?

Ideas please?

(yes I am female, mechanically retarded, and have no idea about trucks or vehicles. hence why I am asking. Please no sexist comments..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
The big thing you need to ask yourself is what size tire do you plan/like to run?

The cheap/ Quick and dirty way to lift your rig is either a body lift or coilover spacers and add a leafs.

The semi-expensive / right way to do it is to replace your coil overs and rear leafs.

Just my opinion.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to KittenTacoma Send a message via Yahoo to KittenTacoma Send a message via Skype™ to KittenTacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanman View Post
The cheap/ Quick and dirty way to lift your rig is either a body kit or coilover spacers and add a leafs.

The expensive / right way to do it is to replace your coil overs and rear leafs.

But the big thing you need to ask yourself is what size tire do you plan to run?
I would rather spend the extra money knowing I got a good lift that won't break.
and I have no idea what the difference is between tires.. .-. I dont even know what tires I have on my truck.. and I need new ones now..

how do you tell what the tire is (i can figure out the brand) but like.. how do you tell the size of the tires?
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
The size of your tires will be marked someplace on the sidewall of your tires.

It will say something in the line of 265/75R16 (Metric) or 31x10.50R15 (Standard).

There are lots of tire size calculators on line that can help convert what size the metric tires are to standard. Just so you get a better idea of how big your tires are.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
#1 cruiser

Old man emu is a good brand. Hardly ever hear bad bout those products. Total chaos I hear is also good. Stay away from fabtech. In my opinion. Tires you prob won't want bigger than a 33. Tires in that size will b cheaper and will get you thru almost where ever you want. As ur not going for rock crawler those will do well. I would also aim at an all terrain over a mud terrain. Look at Goodyear's or bfg. Again all my opinions.

Felix is my Hero!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
Old man emu is a good brand. Hardly ever hear bad bout those products. Total chaos I hear is also good. Stay away from fabtech. In my opinion. Tires you prob won't want bigger than a 33. Tires in that size will b cheaper and will get you thru almost where ever you want. As ur not going for rock crawler those will do well. I would also aim at an all terrain over a mud terrain. Look at Goodyear's or bfg. Again all my opinions.
I'd second the OME (Old Man Emu) lifts. They are also reasonably priced. As well as going with 33" All-Terrain tires.

Before I went crazy with my 88 Pickup, I was going to lift my Taco.

I went with ToyTec adjustable Coilovers, and was going to get some Alcan rear leafs.

I was also going to go with 33x10.50r15 tires or 285/75R16.

I wanted the narrower tire because they give better traction in the rocks.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Old man emu is a good brand. Hardly ever hear bad bout those products. Total chaos I hear is also good. Stay away from fabtech. In my opinion. Tires you prob won't want bigger than a 33. Tires in that size will be cheaper and will get you through almost where ever you want. As ur not going for rock crawler those will do well. I would also aim at an all terrain over a mud terrain. Look at Goodyear's or bfg. Again all my opinions.
What about Firestone? We got tires from them before and they seemed decent. Then again I have no idea about tires.. haha. What about all season weather tires? I had them on my Subaru and loved them since I didnt have to switch out my tires once winter hit. Do they sell those for Tacos in bigger sizes?

I heard Fabtech was good then bad.. Guess it depends on the tires.. My friend said he got the jeep version of OME and loved it. So thats my top pick at the moment until I can find something else that would be better. I figured out the price and all and so far it will cost me $2K for the lift kit, tires and alignment and such. then again.. I need an alignment and tire rotation now really bad.. poor taco.. I abuse it so..
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd second the OME (Old Man Emu) lifts. They are also reasonably priced. As well as going with 33" All-Terrain tires.

Before I went crazy with my 88 Pickup, I was going to lift my Taco.

I went with ToyTec adjustable Coilovers, and was going to get some Alcan rear leafs.

I was also going to go with 33x10.50r15 tires or 285/75R16.

I wanted the narrower tire because they give better traction in the rocks.
Do they? I thought that thicker tires would have more traction. hmm...

i gotta ask. (retarded moment) What in the hell are coil covers and what do they do? DCpsychobilly said I could have his and I have no idea what they do.. or are.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
The wider tires have better floatation in mud and sand. That is the advantage of the wider tires.

No worries, I was once truck part illiterate too. In fact there are still some parts that I have to look up in the service manual to find out what they are.

Coilovers are part of your front suspension. They are composed of a spring and a shock and mounting points.

If you look behind your front tire in the wheelwell you will see the spring, and the shock is surrounded by the spring.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The wider tires have better floatation in mud and sand. That is the advantage of the wider tires.

No worries, I was once truck part illiterate too. In fact there are still some parts that I have to look up in the service manual to find out what they are.

Coilovers are part of your front suspension. They are composed of a spring and a shock and mounting points.

If you look behind your front tire in the wheelwell you will see the spring, and the shock is surrounded by the spring.
oooh ok. ;P dumb moment. haha. I know very little and hate asking since it makes me look dumb, but hey. Gotta learn somehow. haha.

Me? why.. I am just a simple girl that loves going fast, getting good and dirty in mud and killing guy's egos at Xbox. It's ok.. You can be jealous of how awesome I am. ;P
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Agreed. Hopefully you get the patient people to answer your questions and not the impatient one who will go off on ya. Then tell you to use the search function.

Which is a good tool, once you learn how to use it.

EDIT:

Oh, and if you are looking for a place that sells OME kits you can try ToyTec Lifts right here in Northglenn, CO.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Old man emu is the best bang for your buck on quality parts.

I would look into sliders first though so that the body of the rig is protected. Wheel it and then decide if you really want to lift it.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

So, if you're visually oriented like me when it comes to vehicles, this might help illustrate:

Leaf springs on the rear axel:
Quote:
Vs. Coil-overs on the front:
Quote:
Here you can see both in action:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post

Not trying to be a dick, but I'm going to reiterate this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of info there, but it's a good starting point.

As for tires, x2 on figuring out what you have right now, and then deciding if you want to change the size. Once you have a size in mind, http://www.tirerack.com/ might be a good place to start, you can punch in the size and see a ton of options (not everything possible, but a good selection).

88 4Runner, 3.Slow 5spd, 4.88's and lockers, 265 75 KM2's

Quote:
I just did the math. It is, in fact, cheaper to go out drinking every weekend than it would be for me to pay for a legitimate therapist. What are you doing next Friday night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
It's not Marlin's fault I thought I was a race car driver and fucked my shit up.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
I would look into sliders first though so that the body of the rig is protected. Wheel it and then decide if you really want to lift it.
Good point Ike,

Armor is a good thing, don't forget about skid plates too.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88RunnerMike View Post
So, if you're visually oriented like me when it comes to vehicles, this might help illustrate:

Leaf springs on the rear axel:

Vs. Coil-overs on the front:

Here you can see both in action:

Not trying to be a dick, but I'm going to reiterate this:

Yeah, there's a lot of info there, but it's a good starting point.

As for tires, x2 on figuring out what you have right now, and then deciding if you want to change the size. Once you have a size in mind, http://www.tirerack.com/ might be a good place to start, you can punch in the size and see a ton of options (not everything possible, but a good selection).

I already have that thread bookmarked. Im using it as a guide, but knowing my dumbass i'll mess something up. haha. Hence why i'm asking and such.

Me? why.. I am just a simple girl that loves going fast, getting good and dirty in mud and killing guy's egos at Xbox. It's ok.. You can be jealous of how awesome I am. ;P
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Good point Ike,

Armor is a good thing, don't forget about skid plates too.
Ya, im looking into those as well. Gotta google what they are and look like. haha.

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
#1 cruiser

What is stock on those tacos. 260 70? Or is it 265 75? Sliders are a great choice for a first step. But if ur not really wheeling and more for show then the lift is ok to do first. Firestone is fine as far as tires. An all season tire is just going to be a road tire not an offroad tire. Not to say they can't go off road, just that you would want a more aggressive tread for offroad.

Felix is my Hero!
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Tires
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...rf10++sbl.html

Skid
http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?pa...art&Itemid=170

Lift
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

These are your bang for the buck options.

http://www.toyteclifts.com is local.
You can buy BudBuilt skids at http://www.hcp4x4.com/, which is also local.
-Shipping savings!!-

Once you need custom stuff check out http://www.addictedoffroad.com/.

To do most all of the trails up to level 4-5 this all you will need.

255/85 16 KM2s, CBI rear tube bumper, Eaton LSD, 2.5" lift
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcpsychobilly
Imo get sliders to protect your truck first, "skids" keep the stock ones till you beat those up (I got lucky and got some hd skids for cheap), lift till your sure of what you want, keep in mind bigger tires will give you better clearance. I offered you a stock set of coilovers incase you wanted to put a lift (spacers, ome springs etc etc) you can get those modified with w/e lift you add at a shop or get some help (your truck will be driveable meanwhile) then with basic tools switch out the modded coilovers for your stock ones (imo it might/can save you time money and no down time of your truck) again its my opinion lol. Lmk I'm no genius but can explain stuff lol

Something to keep In mind, sliders/skids/bumpers = weight, a 2-3 In lift wont remain at 2-3 in after mods.

And If any of my info is wrong correct me please

Last edited by dcpsychobilly; 04-02-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: More info
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 PM

x3 on armor. I have the Budbuilt full skid for my DC Taco and it's solid! No matter how much lift or tires, armor preserves your ride and keeps the breakage to a minimum! heavy skids and sliders are the way to go. I was wheeling with Ike a while back and avoided a LOT of area due to the potential of damaging my rocker panels. My Taco is a daily driver and I want to keep it looking nice.

Also, you can wheel all you want with stock tires/armor and lockers. The tires get you there, the armor slips you past the nasty stuff, and the lockers will make sure that if only one tire is on the ground, you still get to move.

That said, a lift and larger tires just make the trail that much easier. Armor and lockers both protect you and get you there. The lift puts your wheels down on the ground and give you the opportunity to get traction around obstacles.

I have a 6" fabtech lift with 35" BFG's and maybe 12" of clearance at the rear diff. My Tacoma does not articulate like Yanman's because his is great lift, while the fabtech uses bocks on the rear axle which does nothing to increase articulation.

My Unimog has 46" XML's and 22" of clearance at the rear diff. I have front and rear lockers and have no armor yet. My fuel tank might get dinged, but it's 30" off the ground. You gotta protect that tank if yours is low, and a lift helps with that.

Bryan
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM

I forgot was I x2 on armor if not x4. Armor will protect your truck, if you get stuck because of clearance issues someone can always pull you out. But if you bust something that could be prevented by skids your getting towed home.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
#1 cruiser

Wrenching party!

Felix is my Hero!
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Wrenching party!
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wrenching party!
haha Once I get everything, imma need help installing it all.

I feed everyone and they help? haha

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenTacoma View Post
I feed everyone and they help? haha
Longmont? Forget the feeding and spring for the fuel!

Plenty of GREAT folks up that way to help you out
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Beer is greater than food for payment

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM
#1 cruiser

Im sure it wont take much for some of us to come help. Id show up.

Felix is my Hero!
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjobhunter View Post
Longmont? Forget the feeding and spring for the fuel!

Plenty of GREAT folks up that way to help you out
well.. if i have the money then ya. haha.

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fridge will be stocked with it. just name your type. haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode