Welder - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Welder

I'm lookin to buy a welder and looking for some suggestions on brand and size. What does everone else have?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Hobart 210. Works awesome.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
Hobart 180hd or bigger. Love it.

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
93 c3500 lowerthanstockdually
10 jaguar xf- about to be forsale
04 760li on 22's- soon to be forsale
02 Vette to show the world I'm compensating-forsale
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

lincoln 175+ ditto, love it.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Miller 251, love it. I need to buy a spool gun so I can have some fun with aluminum. I can burn through a frame.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Miller 251, love it. I need to buy a spool gun so I can have some fun with aluminum. I can burn through a frame.
Don't bother. The spool guns for these are marginal at best. If you want to truely weld aluminum get a TIG.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck in a garage type welder is the Miller 211 Autoset. Its dual voltage (110/220V) and is a little work horse. We weld with our all day everyday and it just keeps on going. It will weld 1/2" in a single pass too.

If you want a big boy welder and likely the last one you will ever need to buy the Miller 252 is where its at. I love mine.

I will only buy blue at this point. I have had fits with Lincoln welders over the years and refuse to give them anymore of my money. Miller has always been great.

Last edited by ScottyC; 06-08-2012 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Miller 135, before the auto set was available. Works for me...

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM

I just bought a factory reconditioned Hobart Handler 187 for $550 at Toolking. My coworker has had one for a while now and never had an issue so I got one too. They're always changing stock so it's best to go in and see what they have.

2002 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
Bilstein 5100s front and rear, Eibach coils, Deaver 8 leaf packs
Pro-Comp 16x8" alloys w/ 255/85-16 KM2s
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replys. Looks like everyone has a different model Now all I have to do is more research and pick one

David
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

After doing a little research it looks as if most are running high voltage as well. Looks like its time for a wiring project too

David
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

I sell Hobart welders. If you're near Fort Collins, come on by Jax, and I can talk to you about a few options. Maybe PM me first though, because my coworkers don't seem to know much about them... I think that's the reason that I got hired.

Even if you don't buy from Jax, I think Hobart is a great balance of quality and economy. I've been super happy with mine.

Also, I have an "Intro to Welding" clinic coming up for customers if you're interested. I will be going through our product line, and making a few welding demonstrations. PM me for details

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks QD. I think the next thing for me is to decide on voltage and then Brand/model. Back in my younger years I did a fair amount of welding, so I think I'm already ahead of the curve.

David
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoerster View Post
Thanks QD. I think the next thing for me is to decide on voltage and then Brand/model. Back in my younger years I did a fair amount of welding, so I think I'm already ahead of the curve.
Go 220. If you buy a 110 machine and need to weld something thick one day you will kick yourself. I use a miller 251 and love it.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Wasn't it your welding that caused the hydro assist brackets to tear off your axle? That probably didn't come up in the job interview tho.

When is this clinic? I could use some pointers.
I'll show u a thing or two if u need. Let me know...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Kyle, does JAX selling any other brand other than Hobart? IIRC its the only thing I have ever seen there. Kind of hard to get a good idea of what is good and what isn't when you only have one option.

FWIW, Hobart is made by Miller. Its their economy line of welders. They just use cheaper internals than Miller does. Still I would rather run a Hobart than a Lincoln. Just my $.02 though.

I despise Lincoln guns. They are Magnum Tool guns and they're made in Mexico. Pure crap IMO.

Hobart uses Miller guns. Quality gun.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
Go 220. If you buy a 110 machine and need to weld something thick one day you will kick yourself. I use a miller 251 and love it.
FWIW I run my 135 Miller on a 40 amp circuit and can stitch 1/4" all day. Please do not try to do heavy welding on a 20 amp household circuit... you'll pop the breaker in a second. I've done it and it sucks a lot.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyC View Post
Kyle, does JAX selling any other brand other than Hobart? IIRC its the only thing I have ever seen there. Kind of hard to get a good idea of what is good and what isn't when you only have one option.

FWIW, Hobart is made by Miller. Its their economy line of welders. They just use cheaper internals than Miller does. Still I would rather run a Hobart than a Lincoln. Just my $.02 though.

I despise Lincoln guns. They are Magnum Tool guns and they're made in Mexico. Pure crap IMO.

Hobart uses Miller guns. Quality gun.
Nope, Hobart only. And you're right, they are made by Miller, just slightly cheaper. So I definitely wouldn't have great comparisons across brands.

It sounds as though the OP does have a pretty good idea of what he's looking for. But what I had in mind was that I have I could talk to him about MIG vs. flux core, 110 vs. 220, stick welding, gas welding/cutting, etc. And then he could get an idea of prices and material capacity for each type of welder, if he did happen to go with Hobart. Of course other brands offer similar products. But again, the OP is beyond that.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Lincoln and it sucks. Has broken twice and rarely gets used.
I've used Hobarts and they've done well.
Wakkjobb's Miller puts out some nice welds. I'm sure Wakkjobb's skill has a lot to do with it also.

1994 Toyota Pickup, 40's, duals, exo
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
No, it's the Miller... I suck at welding which is why I paint cars.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
I weld pretty much all day every day, we run 2 lincoln 355's, 6 lincoln 255xp's, and we have 3 different millers (not 100% sure on the model numbers on the millers, but theyre all 3 220v) at work. 2 of the millers have Tweco leads on them, and 1 has just the standard setup.

I'm not a fan of the millers at all, we do a lot of industrial grade shit (3/8, 1/2, 5/8 materials) and the millers will not 1 pass any of it without overloading the machine. Miller's feed in kind of a weird manner too IMO, and they're a little harder to control your bead with than a lincoln (just my opinion there). The lincoln 355's are a bitch to get used to, but once you get them dialed in they're great welders, and will do anything you need them to do. My favorite though, is the Lincoln 255 (which i believe was replaced by the 256 this year, same thing, just newer and more fancy) for how smooth it runs, and how hard you can work it with no issue. IMO the 255's are reasonably priced a well if you do some looking around.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What don't you like about them? I've never used anything else (except the harbor freight POS, with really shouldn't count). I'm not sure what features or aspects would be better/worse between the two.

I mean, is it something with the trigger? the angle of the nozzle? does the liner wear faster or bind more? or just a general feeling of lousy quality?

de·gen·er·ate

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
I weld pretty much all day every day, we run 2 lincoln 355's, 6 lincoln 255xp's, and we have 3 different millers (not 100% sure on the model numbers on the millers, but theyre all 3 220v) at work. 2 of the millers have Tweco leads on them, and 1 has just the standard setup.

I'm not a fan of the millers at all, we do a lot of industrial grade shit (3/8, 1/2, 5/8 materials) and the millers will not 1 pass any of it without overloading the machine. Miller's feed in kind of a weird manner too IMO, and they're a little harder to control your bead with than a lincoln (just my opinion there). The lincoln 355's are a bitch to get used to, but once you get them dialed in they're great welders, and will do anything you need them to do. My favorite though, is the Lincoln 255 (which i believe was replaced by the 256 this year, same thing, just newer and more fancy) for how smooth it runs, and how hard you can work it with no issue. IMO the 255's are reasonably priced a well if you do some looking around.
Industrial type welders are very different. And, IMO Lincolns do just fine once you get to the 255 and up welders. Mainly because they aren't outsourcing those unit to be made in mexico. The 255 is the first unit that comes with a legit gun. Its a good welder. My issue is with the smaller, entry level welders.

My experience with the Lincoln's having owned a 175HD (Home Depot version) and a Lincoln 180(non-home depot model) is that both fed line like pure crap. The guns, liner, tips, nozzles, etc were very poor quality right from the get-go. I was so fed up with the 175HD that when a customer asked me if I had a welder for sale I let it go with a custom cart and bottle for $500 on the spot. The 180, I only used for a few weeks. Still wasn't all that impressed with it though. And, it had the same useless gun. I really like having infinite power settings too as opposed 4-5 settings like most of the Lincoln's have. Miller has infinite power dials. Hobart doesn't.

In comparison, Miller's entry level machines are still made in the USA, and their warranty has been awesome. I have gone through one mother board on my 211 Autoset in 4 years. Hardly the welder's fault since I literally use it to weld just about every bumper we sell. It welds all day, everyday as well. So, we are using it for a lot more than its designed to do and just keeps on going. I drop it off at Airgas in Boulder and Miller handles the warranty claim in a few days. Its that simple.

Good luck getting Lincoln to handle a warranty fast on a Home Depot model. I have read horror stories on a lot of the fab boards I am on.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM

I don't know any one here but just a suggestion get a 220v unit of
Your choice you won't regret it. The 110v units a good for hobby stuff, you can get a way with wielding thick stuff by taking a torch or source of heat and pre heat you metal (get it hot) then start wielding but it's a pain in he butt.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

I know Kyle's got his hands full with the fire. Out of respect, I've moderated out the BS. I'll find another time to give him shit. For now, good luck and I sincerely hope for the best.

Sorry OP, good luck with your welder search

PS. For those with a grudge or interest, the posts have been removed, but they still exist, I can restore and/or copy to PM if you wish. I apologize for nothing said

de·gen·er·ate

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Ive got a Lincoln 215XT. Its been discontinued and replaced by the 216. However, if you can get your hands on a 215XT I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. They are great welders.

If you go red or blue, I dont think you will be disappointed. Ive welded with both a LOT.

One thing that I really like about Lincoln over Miller is that Lincoln usually comes with 15ft leads. And Miller usually comes with 10ft leads. That extra 5ft makes a big difference sometimes.

That being said, I am looking at getting a TIG soon, and it will probably be Miller.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoatoy View Post
Ive got a Lincoln 215XT. Its been discontinued and replaced by the 216. However, if you can get your hands on a 215XT I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. They are great welders.

If you go red or blue, I dont think you will be disappointed. Ive welded with both a LOT.

One thing that I really like about Lincoln over Miller is that Lincoln usually comes with 15ft leads. And Miller usually comes with 10ft leads. That extra 5ft makes a big difference sometimes.

That being said, I am looking at getting a TIG soon, and it will probably be Miller.
Both my Miller 212 and 252 came with 15ft leads
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Don't bother. The spool guns for these are marginal at best. If you want to truely weld aluminum get a TIG.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck in a garage type welder is the Miller 211 Autoset. Its dual voltage (110/220V) and is a little work horse. We weld with our all day everyday and it just keeps on going. It will weld 1/2" in a single pass too.

If you want a big boy welder and likely the last one you will ever need to buy the Miller 252 is where its at. I love mine.

I will only buy blue at this point. I have had fits with Lincoln welders over the years and refuse to give them anymore of my money. Miller has always been great.
U can weld aluminium with the spool gun but its dirty and u just don't get the best results. Tig all the way for Al...
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the advise and comments, but I've decided to try and make friends with people who have a welder. I feel that for the little amount that I will use it and the fact that I would have to put in a sub panel just to add another 220 circuit, I will find other ways to get the work done.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode