Camping in south eastern Wyoming - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Camping in south eastern Wyoming

I have some forced vacation time coming up at the end of August and I haven't been camping at all this year. I'm not familiar with Wyoming at all (I've only seen I-80 along the bottom of the state), but I've heard there's some beautiful land to be seen.

I'm looking for remote/primitive camping within about a 50mi radius of Cheyenne. I've not interested in established/pay camping.

Anybody have any suggestions?

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM

I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping. The area around Laramie Peak just west of Wheatland is usually pretty nice but a buddy of mine was there this weekend and said a lot of it had burned.

Your best bet is the Snowy Range just west of Laramie. Not too much farther than Vedauwoo but worth it IMO. Plenty of maintined/non maintined FS roads and primitive camping. Headed there tomorrow myself!

'04 Taco 2.7L engine, tranny, tcase, cab, half a frame. Junk.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

That sounds like the ticket... Do you have some rough directions, gps coordinates, forestry service roads, etc?

I was also starting to look around in north/central Colorado in the Routt NF, north of Steamboat, but it's tough since I've never been up there and don't know which area has decent camping.

de·gen·er·ate

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM

WYO 130 out of Laramie takes you all the way through the Snowies.
Can't load it fast enough on my phone right now, but I believe the PDF of the roads around the Snowies is in the link. I usually hit FS Rd. 103. Kelly and Libby Flats are on the Trail Damage site.

The address for the local (Laramie) FS station is in the link as well. They have several good maps on hand.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbr/ma...FSWDEV3_008634

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I've been looking at that map. thanks for the tips!

de·gen·er·ate

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytaco26 View Post
I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping. The area around Laramie Peak just west of Wheatland is usually pretty nice but a buddy of mine was there this weekend and said a lot of it had burned.

Your best bet is the Snowy Range just west of Laramie. Not too much farther than Vedauwoo but worth it IMO. Plenty of maintined/non maintined FS roads and primitive camping. Headed there tomorrow myself!

I used to go there all the time when i was a kid. At the time they were paving the road.

I havent been back up to that area in years, but my brother and i were talking about heading up there before too long.

Is the place crawling with people though? The last time we were up there it was like a dude ranch and it drove us nuts. When we were kids there was no one for miles. Just trees with branches on one side.

The french creek area was the last place i was up there and it was still very nice and very few people.

Any other good remote fishing spots up there still?

Thanks

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Talk with Tony & Davin about spots north of Steamboat Springs - they live and mtn bike up there a lot (both are FB friends).

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

will do, thanks Eric

de·gen·er·ate

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I used to go there all the time when i was a kid. At the time they were paving the road.

I havent been back up to that area in years, but my brother and i were talking about heading up there before too long.

Is the place crawling with people though? The last time we were up there it was like a dude ranch and it drove us nuts. When we were kids there was no one for miles. Just trees with branches on one side.

The french creek area was the last place i was up there and it was still very nice and very few people.

Any other good remote fishing spots up there still?

Thanks
It's not too bad. All the tourist never seem to go any farther than a few steps from WYO 130. You'll get some ATV traffic on the weekends but it's not horrible by any means. I was up on the trails yesterday and never saw anyone except a few FS guys early on.
No idea on the fishing spots, I haven't fished since I was like 9yo.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytaco26 View Post
I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping.
all in the eye of the beholder. Vedauwoo has some of the best granite crack in the rocky mtn. region!

05 Taco
Icon/Camburg Mid-Travel Front. All-Pro Hybrid w/ Smitty 9.5k. TG/NF Sliders. Tom Woods D/S. BFG 35's. Front Glass. Icon AAL's. WE Monotube 500's. NF Fab Rear Bumper. All-Pro skids. NF Fab Diff Armour. 4.56.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode