Progressive Snapshot - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Progressive Snapshot

I want to get one of those Progressive Snapshot thingies, go crawling, send it in and see what they say.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
#1 cruiser

I may live under a rock. What are you talking about?

Felix is my Hero!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

The insurance company has this thingy that looks like it gets plugged into the OBD2 port of vehicles and I'm guessing that it records stuff about how the vehicle is driven.

I'm guessing that if you're all mellow, you might get a better insurance rate. If not, then you don't.

I would think that the more modern vehicles with traction control and sensors for yaw and things like that would be more enlightening than, say, my 97, but to see what their reaction would be might be mildly entertaining.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to minerdude1
Yeah I have been wanting to get one too. It is risk free, so it can only help your rate, it can't go up because of the snapshot. It does record driving styles, mainly acceleration, deceleration, and speed. There are some good articles on it out there. I am not sure how you upload the info, or get it to them. You may have to stop by an office so often for them to download it.

1989 ex cab Yota pickup
-3.4 swap, dual cases
-SAS
-35" BFG KM2 tires
-custom rear plate bumper
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

I just think it would be mildly amusing to see the look on an agents face if they were to see something like an average speed of 0.78 mph because it was only plugged in during a crawl session. I'm just being cheeky about the whole thing... ;-P

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
I just think it would be mildly amusing to see the look on an agents face if they were to see something like an average speed of 0.78 mph because it was only plugged in during a crawl session. I'm just being cheeky about the whole thing... ;-P
I wanna get one for the opposite reason..... My truck came with crap hears and with 5.29s my speedo is like 25-30 mph off at interstate speed......

"sir you averaged 110 mph"

I am General Corrosion

Corrosion: - 97 4runner 2.7 (fat and slow) lost but not forgotten
Shorter Bus: - 98 taco 2.7 300k miles (fat, old and slow) lost but not forgotten
Short Round: - 97 single cab (2' of sheet metal) Now doing pizza delivery
Too nice: - 99 4runner 3.4 5spd ski/expo wagon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolison View Post
I wanna get one for the opposite reason..... My truck came with crap hears and with 5.29s my speedo is like 25-30 mph off at interstate speed......

"sir you averaged 110 mph"
my thoughts exactly. I wonder if it would even register out on the trail since they arent designated roads or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Do you think that they have a GPS radio in them?

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 PM

My roomates have one. They're on the same policy, but only she got one - he refused. In fact, he'll unplug it if he has to drive her car for any reason.

edit: According to what I've read, they do not have GPS. They don't really need it for their intended purpose.
http://www.fiscalfizzle.com/2011/11/...scount-review/

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Huh, that was actually educational. Not at all what I had in mind when I posted; and that was really simply a random thought after seeing their commercial.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM

My buddy had one of those, he got it when he bought his new duramax this summer. The main things that it tracks are hard accelerations, hard breaking, what time of day it is driven etc. There are certain things you are not supposed to do when you have it to get the lower insurance rates.
He actually had his new truck into the dealer to get the bedliner, camper shell, etc installed. He checked the states of the tracker online and saw that who ever at the dealer was driving his truck over 100 MPH and had a bunch of hard stops and accelerations. He called the dealer on it and he ended up getting some accessories installed for free by the dealer.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCOTaco View Post
My buddy had one of those, he got it when he bought his new duramax this summer. The main things that it tracks are hard accelerations, hard breaking, what time of day it is driven etc. There are certain things you are not supposed to do when you have it to get the lower insurance rates.
He actually had his new truck into the dealer to get the bedliner, camper shell, etc installed. He checked the states of the tracker online and saw that who ever at the dealer was driving his truck over 100 MPH and had a bunch of hard stops and accelerations. He called the dealer on it and he ended up getting some accessories installed for free by the dealer.
That's funny, in a sad sorta way. Still funny that the dealer got busted for rallying a customer's vehicle. The icing on the cake would've been if the clown from the dealer got pulled over or got the vehicle impounded. It'd be interesting to hear the dealer explain that one.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Actually the person got fired, it sounds like they were having problems with the employee and after that incident they let him go. My buddy was pretty pissed though (and rightfully so) because they were rallying around in his brand new $60,000 truck! I think he had like 500 miles on the truck at the time. I wonder how often that happens at dealerships, I am sure this is not an isolated incident.
The other funnly thing is that when you are breaking hard and other stuff, the little snapshot device actually beeps at you. So the person driving would have heard that, well unless he was jamming out at the same time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode