Need help pressing ball joint from spindle - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Need help pressing ball joint from spindle

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experience or the equipment to press ball joints from spindles. The reason im asking is im hopefully getting some Camburg UCA's for a steal off TW and the only part of the install im not equipped to handle is pressing out the old ball joints and pressing in the new Uniball slugs for the new UCA's. I would just take the spindle off and take it to a shop but my taco is my only ride so any advice or help would be much appreciated!

2003 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L 5-spd, Deckplate mod, grey wire mod, SAW 2.5's & Camburg UCA's up front, AP 3" leafs w/ 5125's out back, sitting on 285's,TG rear bumper, AOR Front Bumper and TG sliders (SOLD)
1997 Lexus LX 450 armored, Lifted, 3xlocked and of course snorkeled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Rent a ball joint press tool from oreilly/napa. Free of charge. Looks like a giant c-clamp with some adapters

2001 Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Trail Riders
Natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first making the Brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
Rent a ball joint press tool from oreilly/napa. Free of charge. Looks like a giant c-clamp with some adapters
This is what I did to replace the uniballs on my TC UCAs. Be prepared to press sied-to-side until they seat. It helps to have a bench vice as a third hand.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

jesus so i rented the ball joint press and i bought a pickle fork and WTF i can not get the UCA to seperate from the balljoint. did you guys do anything special? i am currently soaking them with pb blaster to see if that help but holy hell those things are stuck on there!

2003 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L 5-spd, Deckplate mod, grey wire mod, SAW 2.5's & Camburg UCA's up front, AP 3" leafs w/ 5125's out back, sitting on 285's,TG rear bumper, AOR Front Bumper and TG sliders (SOLD)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

I just smack the side of the UCA right where the ball joint is. It takes a good few hits. You're looking to slightly deform the UCA for a moment so the BJ drops out.

I was a little nervous the first time I'd done it, but it works and leaves no permanent damage (except for a couple of scars where the hammer makes contact).

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

TACOMA / TUNDRA BALL JOINT REMOVAL- SLUG ADAPTER INSTALL TOOLS

http://www.chaosfab.com/96-04-Tacoma...cessories.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Air hammer down onto the balljoint usually pops it out for me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcpsychobilly
Did you get it?
Did you find what was that noise you had?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

i finally finished up at 7 today, that was the biggest pain in the ass ive ever had to deal with! probably would be easier if i had the correct tools but oh well jimmie rigging presses worked out in the end. I just wish i woulda known how much a torch would have helped. used my backpacking stove to heat up the a-arm that was seized on the ball joint and boom came right out! oh and that noise was my carrier bearing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode