Help! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Help!

I was changing out a spindle on my 4runner tonight and broke a hardline on my front breaks... I am leaving for Gunnison tomorrow at 1:30 and am going to try to source a new one in the morning but I have no idea how to blead breaks... is anyone available in windsor or surrounding area to help get me on the road by 1:30? Feel free to text me of you can... 303 589 two728 any help would be amazing!

Bobby

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

1999 limited on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner2020 View Post
I was changing out a spindle on my 4runner tonight and broke a hardline on my front breaks... I am leaving for Gunnison tomorrow at 1:30 and am going to try to source a new one in the morning but I have no idea how to blead breaks... is anyone available in windsor or surrounding area to help get me on the road by 1:30? Feel free to text me of you can... 303 589 two728 any help would be amazing!

Bobby

if you cant get help locally, look for a one man bleeder kit at the parts store when you are getting the line.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Didnt know it was possible to do it with one person, good to know! Is it possible that auto parts store, non dealer, would have the hardline?

1999 limited on 35's
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner2020 View Post
Didnt know it was possible to do it with one person, good to know! Is it possible that auto parts store, non dealer, would have the hardline?

i wouldnt think that the parts store would have anything other than a universal line that you would have to cut, flare etc yourself.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I figured, thanks!

1999 limited on 35's
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

You can prob get a premade flex line that will work.

Otherwise you will need the flaring tool as well. And that those take a little time to make.

The "power/pump" bleeders make bleeding pretty easy.

Good luck getting it back on the road!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Last time I went to autozone for a hard line (for my 86+ calipers) they had the proper length, but they weren't pre-bent.

I might have the taco hardlines sitting around someplace, and I wouldn't mind helpping bleed the brakes... but I won't be able to find them or get them to you by 130.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah the auto parts stores have straight sections of hard line. Get one of those and a brake line bender. The cheap one that looks like a hoop on a handle is fine. Then bend it yourself. It's pretty easy.

Even easier than a bleeder kit, and works every time: 3-5ft of 1/4" clear vinyl hose. It works basically the same way as the one man bleeder kit, but I started doing this after my kit broke, and now I like using just the hose a lot better.

Fill up the reservoir. Stretch the hose over the bleeder nipple and route it straight up. Wrap it around your upper control arm or something so it stays going upright. Pump the brakes like 30 times, then go and crack the bleeder open 1/8 turn. You should see several bubbles come out. If the fluid has positive pressure, as in the fluid does not suck back in the caliper if you leave the bleeder cracked open, then pump a few more times with the bleeder open until there is at least 12" of solid brake fluid with no bubbles near the caliper. If it does not have positive pressure, keep pumping with the bleeder closed. When you get that 12" of solid brake fluid, close the bleeder. Fill up the reservoir again.

If you bleed all of the brakes, you should start at the bleeder furthest away from the master cylinder (usually passenger rear). And don't forget about the bleeder on the proportioning valve.

I have never had somebody to help me bleed before, and this works perfect every time. I can do all of the brakes in 10 minutes. I have tried other methods, including the power bleeder and gotten a spongy pedal, but never when I do it this way.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

^That is an interesting method. I might try that. I never have a helper.

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Got it all figured out. Thanks again for the help everyone. And fyi there is a shop in loveland called tubes and hoses they bent me up a new hardline for $15 and took all of 10 min. I went to the local auto repair shop in windsor and asked a mechanic if for 20 buck on his break he'd come show me how to bleed them. I feel like I could have done it on my own with all the direction u guys gave me but I just didnt want a doubt in my mind knowing I had the trip to gunnison in a few hours. Thanks again for all the tips! I'll get to use them in a few weeks when I swap out 3rds.

Bobby

1999 limited on 35's
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I've always had excellent results with a Motive Products pressure bleeder.
There's little to go wrong because the bottle maintains pressure on the system as it feeds brake fluid to the MC as it's bled out. It doesn't cost much either.
I did add a pressure bleed off valve to dump the pressure in the bottle once you're done. That makes it a little easier to not make a mess when you're putting it all away.
It's an excellent way to change out your brake fluid which you should do every couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainiha View Post
^That is an interesting method. I might try that. I never have a helper.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Dick.

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

bout the only thing that goes wrong with the motive power bleeder, is getting the adapter to seal in the first place. That takes a decent amount of time and luck. I've dumped a bunch of fluid down the wheel well more than once when the seal breaks.

Once I finally get a good seal, it's awesome for getting a good bleed.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode