Opinions and options - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Opinions and options

Looking to have a front shaft made b/c my rig will now be driven on the road in winter. My cross road is:

should I pay the $350 and just have a front made

OR

Go duals, to reduce the front angle.

Pros: i've always wanted duals
less angle on driveline
Thing will Crawl!
Cons: Cost of duals: need 2 gear driven cases, adaptor plate for the cases and plate to mate to my stock 3.0 set up.
Will have to get front and rear shafts made correct?

I'm no hard core wheeler so what would you guys suggest.

rig is an 88 4runner SAS 5in trail gear sas kit. 3.0 with stock chain driven case
with a square tube front shaft now with a single ujoint on each end.

Thanks,

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
It all depends on how much money you want to spend and what kinds of trails you would like to do.

Quick and dirty would be having the Front drive shaft done now.

Long and expensive is going dual T-cases, and yes, you would need to have both your drive shafts redone.

If you are not a hard core wheeler I'd opt for just getting the front driveshaft done.

Last edited by Yanman; 09-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM

If I was to start all over and was looking to keep the price of my rig down I would just put the 4.7 kit in my t case .

Plus you can always make a square front drive line . It's not hard and that's what a lot of us use .

((Nevada))
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I would agree. If you're not wheeling the big stuff, you don't really need dual cases. Having said that, dual cases are cool and a great mod if you're going to play in the rocks.

If/when you go to dual cases, re-tubing the drive shafts is the least of you're concerns... kind of an afterthought in a way. Purchasing the cases and adapters, getting them all built/attached and installed, working the cross member mounts, and fitting the sticks up in the center console is the part you have to think about most.

I wouldn't put off getting a good drive shaft made just because I might want duals down the road.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Option 3: Sell the Takama and buy a Geap

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
My opinion is go duals. The gear options are awesome. If your not going to see harder trails id still do something with driveline angles. A cut and roll is about the only way but you will like it much more. I love having 4wd that i can run on the highway if i have to. I rarely use 4wd but knowing i can cruise down the road in 4wd or with my hubs lock as easy as the fj or can throw my girl in it on a bad day of snow and know she can cruise whatever speed in 4wd.

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
93 c3500 lowerthanstockdually
10 jaguar xf- about to be forsale
04 760li on 22's- soon to be forsale
02 Vette to show the world I'm compensating-forsale
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM

personally i love the single 4.7 t-case. gives you the same low range as dual stock cases, but doesn't require all new driveshafts. if you go that route, you can get your front shaft made now, and then swap to a gear driven t-case down the road w/o changing any driveshafts
my
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

okay, driveshaft situation is now put on hold.
when i went to check my diff fluid level, it was empty so i filled it. Well I have a leak right under my Ubolt, the one closest to the pumpkin. Apparently its rare but the ubolt can cause stress fractures over time.
Can i just weld this up and reinforce it with a small plate before i put hte ubolt back on to fix this or is my housing toast? read post online where people say welding it will be a good repair.
Thanks,
Alan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota 44 View Post
just put the 4.7 kit in my t case
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoffroad View Post
personally i love the single 4.7 t-case.
Agreed, I love my 4.7 case... but he has a chain drive He won't have the option until he goes dual cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALoo View Post
okay, driveshaft situation is now put on hold.
when i went to check my diff fluid level, it was empty so i filled it. Well I have a leak right under my Ubolt, the one closest to the pumpkin. Apparently its rare but the ubolt can cause stress fractures over time.
Can i just weld this up and reinforce it with a small plate before i put hte ubolt back on to fix this or is my housing toast? read post online where people say welding it will be a good repair.
Thanks,
Alan
weld it up, try and plate over it, then wheel it.. but yes, the housing is on it's way to being toast.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

spoke to chris geiger, who is famous in the toyota rock crawler world. well he had the same issue. He told me to grind it down, weld it up and then take 4 strips of steal and bend and weld them to make a patch and the housing will be as good as new if not better. So that's the game plan right now.
Think i'll have to strip down the housing or can i just remove the ubolt and fix it as long as it's welded slowly?
Thanks,
Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode