Need Help Please!!! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Need Help Please!!!

Hey Guys,
So I moved here from Ga in July and brought my 88 4Runner with an 85 solid axle out here for my dd b/c I go back to GA ever other week for work so I needed to leave my other car there. Well when I was getting it winter ready I discovered small stress fractures in the housing and was told my Marlin Crawler I could just weld and patch them. I've been putting that off til now. Just discovered my Wheel bearings are gone!!! can't travel more than 25mph without the truck feeling like the wheels are going to come off.
High country said it would be a 10 our job to fix my housing and rebuild my axle with my knuckle and wheel bearing kit. does that make sense???
That over a grand for just this. Does anyone close to the denver area have experience with doing this that would be willing to help me out? I can trailer the rig to your place if needed.
Please help guys this is my dd.
Thanks,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
By wheel bearings, I'm guessing you mean the trunion bearings and not the hub bearings? 10 hours seems a bit long for that; if it's just replacing the bearings/caps. If it's rebuilding the entire axle including tearing apart the diff gears, that 10 hours sounds more reasonable.

I should have some space available in my little shop soon (maybe this weekend) if you want to trailer it to northern Colorado Springs, 80908. I don't charge regular shop fees at all; and I like helping when I can since I don't wheel (yet).

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3w41d
Give Rock Toy Industries a call. They should be able to help you and are quite a bit cheaper than HCP in labor

Rock Toy Industries
2081 E 74th Ave
Unit C
Denver, CO
720-365-9051

The Rock Lobster Lifted, Locked, Boosted, Armored, TacoBoxed, and awaiting destruction.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

I've got axle bearings and a bunch of other misc soli axle small crap.

Last time I did wheel bearings it took 2-3 hours in my driveway.

If you need trunion bearings too add another 2-3 hours, funniest part of them is getting the preload right.

I am General Corrosion

Corrosion: - 97 4runner 2.7 (fat and slow) lost but not forgotten
Shorter Bus: - 98 taco 2.7 300k miles (fat, old and slow) lost but not forgotten
Short Round: - 97 single cab (2' of sheet metal) Now doing pizza delivery
Too nice: - 99 4runner 3.4 5spd ski/expo wagon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
By wheel bearings, I'm guessing you mean the trunion bearings and not the hub bearings? 10 hours seems a bit long for that; if it's just replacing the bearings/caps. If it's rebuilding the entire axle including tearing apart the diff gears, that 10 hours sounds more reasonable.

I should have some space available in my little shop soon (maybe this weekend) if you want to trailer it to northern Colorado Springs, 80908. I don't charge regular shop fees at all; and I like helping when I can since I don't wheel (yet).
I have the trail gear Knuckle kit and also wheel bearing kit from them I got a long time ago when I first did my swap. It is just that and fixing the housing. nothing to do with the gears.
I have put my wheels up in the air and held and 12 and 6 o'clock and pushed and pulled and there is play. My friend said hub bearings (same as wheel bearing) If it is the Trunion(knuckle) bearings those are in the knuckle rebuild kit. Between the 2 rebuild kits I should be able to fix my issue if it is either of the bearings correct?
Thanks,
Alan
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3w41d View Post
Give Rock Toy Industries a call. They should be able to help you and are quite a bit cheaper than HCP in labor

Rock Toy Industries
2081 E 74th Ave
Unit C
Denver, CO
720-365-9051
Will give them a call tomorrow.
4WheelParts, I know.. I know.... gave me a quote to fix my housing and install both kits for $650 which is much less than High Country.
This sucks b/c I just got it firing on all 6cyl for the first time in a year yesterday!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
I'm in north denver (thornton area) and can find the time to weld/fix your housing for you for cheap/nothing. However, I don't have time to take on a wheel bearing/trunion bearing job right now (for the next few weekends).

If you find someone to fix the 'driveability' issue with the wheel bearings/trunion bearings, pass on the welding on the housing and bring it to me. I'll get it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode