4wd on the street - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

4wd on the street

So this is my first winter here so I'm still learning this ice driving bs. Well I was driving from denver to evergreen on Sat night and I was on 470 and got loose and spun out. I fishtailed back and forth for about 15secs and finally spun out but lucky for me the cars behind be were all stopped by then. Not sure what happened. I was in the same tire tracks as everyone else infront of me.
4runner,
5inch tg springs, 2 inch bl on old warn down bfg 33's.
I was in 2wd. would lowering my rig and getting new tires prevent this or is it just the nature of winter drivng here and I should be in 4wd on the streets on those days?
I have 4.88 gears and stock chain driven case. What's the max speed I can use 4wd on the street without fear of burning up my Tcase?
Sorry, never used 4wd on the street before in this truck b/c never needed too. Only in newer cars.
Thanks,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

unless you have studs in the tires, or chains on them, i dont think much will help you on the ice. i have spun out on ice in 4wd before, i think its just the nature of the beast. unfortunately you just have to slow down and take it easy.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

So what's the max speed you guys run your 4wd in here on the street. Iknow with the conditions most people are going about 45 to 50 anyways but i was just wondering.
Thanks,
Alan
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALoo View Post
So what's the max speed you guys run your 4wd in here on the street. Iknow with the conditions most people are going about 45 to 50 anyways but i was just wondering.
Thanks,
Alan
i try not to go over 40 mph in 4 hi, as i have always been told that there is the potential for damage to the 4wd system if going any faster. If i need to be in 4wd, i dont really want to be going much faster than that anyway ha ha. go out and play around in the snow and ice (in a safe spot) and get used to how your truck and yourself reacts when you slip and slide. learning what it will do, will help you be able to handle it a bit more if you start to slip. but ultimately, just going slow and taking your time is the best way to not slide on ice.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

4wd hi can be used up to and past 70 if needed. (Read the owners manual)
If you're on snowy/ icy roads use it. 4wd won't help much on the ice though.

99 Single Cab 2.7. Finally SAS'd and sitting on full width Toyota axles.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Depends on the Driver

94 Yoda, Awaiting superman Heart
81 Yoda, soon to have a 3rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon55 View Post
Full moon, and Friday the 13th, ya I'm sitting this one out.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
x2

It was probably the RWD that caused you to spin out. Time for some sand bags in the bed if you don't have enough weight in the rear.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM

I typically don't go much over 50 in 4hi, maybe up to 60. Not because of mechanical concern (as others said, read the manual - mine says you just have to drop below 62mph to shift into 4wd, and in 4th 4hi not to exceed 118 mph), but because if road conditions are bad enough you need 4wd active in the first place, you really shouldn't be going that fast anyway. It mostly depends on what the road conditions are and why I have it on. Snowpack and ice is going to be slower than just fresh/deep snow, spotty vs solid, heavy wet vs light slush, etc. Practice, experience, and not getting over-confident - or trying not to anyway.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

I know nothing of ice. but in 4HI I'm winding it out at 60MPH on the beach in 5th.

EDIT: I don't know what I'm talking about as usual. I'm in 4LO not HI when reving out the motor at 60mph

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still

Last edited by Wainiha; 02-05-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Take your rig out either in an abandoned parking lot or street that has ice and see what your vehicle does. Get a feel for the loss of traction and the sliding. See how your truck reacts to different maneuvering techniques. I've been driving my pickup with a spooled rear and 35" mt's in 2wd this winter without any real bad effects. Then again, once you hit complete ice, there's nothing you can really do but ride it out.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Get used to your short wheelbase. Your rear end is gonna kick out a lot faster than the rear end of a long-bed full size truck. You don't get nearly the same amount of time to react as you do with a much longer wheelbase.

I drive a 2WD F-250 and don't have much issues in the snow/ice (except for hills, but that's a given).

1992 Land Cruiser aka Willy - 4" Ironman Lift, Triple Locked, 7 Pin Mod, 5.29 gears, 35" MTRs.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Studded snow tires all round are the real shit in that area. I'd even take studded snow tires over 4WD anyday.

When I lived in that area I commuted between Denver and Cheyenne daily in 2WD with studded snow tires. You really need seasonal tires anyway so you may as well make them the good ones. You still have to drive like you had an IQ superior to that of a fern but many in the area don't so you have to your eye out for them and try to keep some distance from the idiots.

This is not one of those areas you want to try to save money because doing so could cost you big time. It's a set of tires or big repair bill or your truck, possible injury and maybe even your life, it's your choice.

Remember no insurance company has ever restored anyones life even if they do sell so called life insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpdmazda View Post
unless you have studs in the tires, or chains on them, i dont think much will help you on the ice. i have spun out on ice in 4wd before, i think its just the nature of the beast. unfortunately you just have to slow down and take it easy.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about studded snow tires alot after that night. I know there's some companies that make 33 inch mud tires that can be studded. How much does it cost to get tires studded and then can they be removed after Winters over so I just have regular mud tires? Buying new tires is not out of the questions as I needed new ones anyways.
Thanks,
Alan
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM

You can in theory remove the studs after using them but after running them without they can not go back in.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TOWL&tab=Specs

2003 Toyota Tacoma ex-cab
3 inch OME 882's
285/75/16 Duratracs
Trail Gear sliders
Trail Gear front bumper
Bud built full skids
Welded-rear/ARB-front
Bobbed 12"
Softtopper
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALoo View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about studded snow tires alot after that night. I know there's some companies that make 33 inch mud tires that can be studded. How much does it cost to get tires studded and then can they be removed after Winters over so I just have regular mud tires? Buying new tires is not out of the questions as I needed new ones anyways.
Thanks,
Alan
only downside i see to running studs, is the hassle of changing the tires for snow/no snow. or you can be like some of the others in the area that just run studded tires all year. ha ha
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

When I lived there I remember all the apartment closests having black tire marks from folks storing their off season tires.

I look at it this waym you pay a little more up front but your tires last twice as long because you're not putting as many miles on them so you're not really out any money over the long haul except for maybe saving some from vehicle damage and towing charges to get your dumb ass hauled out of a ditch.

The best and safest thing to do is have seasonal tires that suit the season, conditions and climate. If you wouldn't with no brakes then you shouldn't be screwing around with the wrong tires on your vehicle.

The only down side to studs is they play hell on the roads so running them out of season is just down right irresponsible and I think back then it was illegal as well. The tungsten carbide studs they had back then chewed ruts in the roads to the point they looked like old wagon train trails but they were sure great on ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpdmazda View Post
only downside i see to running studs, is the hassle of changing the tires for snow/no snow. or you can be like some of the others in the area that just run studded tires all year. ha ha

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

well honestly, I think i'll be moving back to GA by in Jan 2015 bc of work so I won't need too much for next winter. So if I buy 33 12.50 muds now that can be studded, have them studded to get me through the winter now and then remove the studs after winter and have just a normal set of tires I should be fine. How much does it cost to get tires studded?
Thanks,
Alan
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM

I have read the above posts and just want to throw my 2 cents in.

Why do you need all the tires, just slow down when the roads are slick. You may spin out 1 time in 20 times of traveling but as long as you are not going to fast for what you feel you can do then the spin out should not be that bad. When the roads ice up those studs are not going to do much in my experience and defiantly do not warrant the added cost of a another set of tires. Ice is slick and when the snow falls on top of it to pack the tire so the extra traction cannot work that well then you have just given a way for the ice to pack on your tires more.

My advise and what I have is a good set of all terrains, siped for added traction, and go slow. I also carry ice melt in the truck and DE-icer washer fluid. Use 4Hi when traveling at speed, but just keep it slow and also note that the front tires are going to be under power and steering will feel different.

This all seems to me that you are having a knee jerk reaction to a bad drive. With the weather the past few days has there still been an issue?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right about the knee jerk reaction. It just really freaked me out. And after when I got to my neighborhood I have to climb up hills to get to my house and in 2wd it was a no go. When I stopped b/c I was spinning, put foot on break and sat for 3 seconds and then started to feel my runner slide back on the ice. Lucky I went only a few feet then into a ditch and It stopped me before I hit any cars parked on the side. Put it in 4wd and it was fine. As far as getting a new set of tires, It wouldn't be me buying an extra set. I need new tires anyways. Mine are over 10 years old (truck sat for a long time) and are warn pretty good for the most part. So if i got new tires that had to option to be studded, it would just be me getting new tires that i needed but just with studs. But also i'm still debating if i even want them studded.

As for driving after it happened, well I flew back to GA the next morning and was dropped off at the airport so i haven't gotten to drive in the weather since. I guess I'll just see how it goes when I get back next friday...
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM

We should plan a stocker snow bashing run that way you could get a feel for driving in snow and ice!

Ice sucks and driving in it sucks worse, I love Colorado but hate it when the roads freeze. Good news for you is that you can post here if you get into an issues and someone will come get you out, I have seen it happen. I have even gone out on bad nights to pull mini vans out of the ditch just to help were I could.

I would suggest getting new good tires and have them siped. It will give you a lot more traction, even the new tires alone might be all you need to feel more stable. Nowadays you might need snow tires in Georgia far more then you need them here, they just got pretty icy there and do not have the snow equipment that we do no matter how much they think they spent on it.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredvision View Post
We should plan a stocker snow bashing run that way you could get a feel for driving in snow and ice!

Ice sucks and driving in it sucks worse, I love Colorado but hate it when the roads freeze. Good news for you is that you can post here if you get into an issues and someone will come get you out, I have seen it happen. I have even gone out on bad nights to pull mini vans out of the ditch just to help were I could.

I would suggest getting new good tires and have them siped. It will give you a lot more traction, even the new tires alone might be all you need to feel more stable. Nowadays you might need snow tires in Georgia far more then you need them here, they just got pretty icy there and do not have the snow equipment that we do no matter how much they think they spent on it.
I run stocker runs and snow bash runs all the time, probably weekly. anyone is welcome when i go, the hard part is getting people to actually get together and go, or get there on the right day ( ha ha)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode