How to handle an insurance dispute? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

How to handle an insurance dispute?

Fucking Progressive. I hate them.

I flopped my 4Runner onto it's side on 70 by Frisco last Sunday. No injuries thankfully, but I have a mess to deal with now.

I shifted out of 4wd when I got on the hwy, I thought the roads were ok but it was bad black ice. I lost control; rear end slipped and the truck drifted to the median, hit the snow bank and spun a 270 and flopped to the passenger side. Scary.

The whole passenger side is fucked. Fender/door/rear quarter/topper. It looks to me like the A-pillar is damaged, but there's nothing about that on the summary. None of the interior damage is mentioned. They didn't even ask about any mechanical issues, and a few have come up. The body work based on their few photos is about $3,000. That will certainly go up when a shop really looks at it and starts to see what else the repair entails. I would be more than happy to have my ride repaired but that won't cover it.

Here's the dilema... my 4Runner is a 3rd gen with a 1st gen body conversion. The truck is registered as an 86. That's how the state wanted to title it.

I got my claim details today and they're trying to screw me. Not an easy insurance claim but Progressive isn't giving me ANY value for the "aftermarket" parts. That means the 3.4/tranny/suspension/frame, nothing is given value on my claim. The 2 "comparable" vehicles they found to base a value on are stock/4cyl/1st gen 4Runners. They claim $3000 market value for mine. I paid $5,000 for it less than 20,000 miles ago, before the the lift/bumper/wheels/tires. Most everyone thinks that was a steal at the time considering a stock 3.4 anything with a low mileage motor couldn't be found for $5,000 a few years ago.

I never expected to total a car and have an insurance company give me more than the car is worth, but this is ridiculous. You pay a premium in good faith with the expectation that if you have a loss, that it will be covered. I don't know what to do. I'll try to find an independent adjuster who can document what the truck is and go from there.

Does anyone have advice or know a fair adjuster or how to get it appraised?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
My wife used to work for USAA, let me ask her tomorrow when we're sober. I can also ask a friend's wife who also works for USAA but is in investments; she used to handle insurance stuff.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
These are the pitfalls with modified vehicles. Many policies do not cover aftermarket equipment. Vehicles with body modifications like yours can be completely ignored/overlooked by the insurance company.

You really should have discussed these things with your agent before this accident happened. Not all insurance companies and/or policies are the same. Find out in advance what might not be covered.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth1 View Post

I flopped my 4Runner onto it's side on 70 by Frisco last Sunday. No injuries thankfully, but I have a mess to deal with now.

I shifted out of 4wd when I got on the hwy, I thought the roads were ok but it was bad black ice. I lost control; rear end slipped and the truck drifted to the median, hit the snow bank and spun a 270 and flopped to the passenger side. Scary.

The whole passenger side is fucked. Fender/door/rear quarter/topper. It looks to me like the A-pillar is damaged, but there's nothing about that on the summary. None of the interior damage is mentioned. They didn't even ask about any mechanical issues, and a few have come up. The body work based on their few photos is about $3,000. That will certainly go up when a shop really looks at it and starts to see what else the repair entails. I would be more than happy to have my ride repaired but that won't cover it.

Here's the dilema... my 4Runner is a 3rd gen with a 1st gen body conversion. The truck is registered as an 86. That's how the state wanted to title it.

I got my claim details today and they're trying to screw me. Not an easy insurance claim but Progressive isn't giving me ANY value for the "aftermarket" parts. That means the 3.4/tranny/suspension/frame, nothing is given value on my claim. The 2 "comparable" vehicles they found to base a value on are stock/4cyl/1st gen 4Runners. They claim $3000 market value for mine. I paid $5,000 for it less than 20,000 miles ago, before the the lift/bumper/wheels/tires. Most everyone thinks that was a steal at the time considering a stock 3.4 anything with a low mileage motor couldn't be found for $5,000 a few years ago.

I never expected to total a car and have an insurance company give me more than the car is worth, but this is ridiculous. You pay a premium in good faith with the expectation that if you have a loss, that it will be covered. I don't know what to do. I'll try to find an independent adjuster who can document what the truck is and go from there.

I am a body man. This is how Progressive operates every time. They write an initial estimate purposely leaving out major Damage hoping you cash out. Get your truck to a shop and have it tore down for a complete estimate then, renegotiate your settlement with them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

One of these days people are going to realize what a rip-off and con game all of insurance really is and demand that it be made illegal just as any other con game would be. That goes for all insurance including life, health, home, car, etc.

It's what fucked up healthcare in this country so adding more is exactly like throwing gasoline on a fire in an attempt to extinguish the blaze.

Mathematically speaking, insurance can not possibly add anything but cost, crime and corruption. It is impossible for it to add anything but grief to the system. Numbers don't and can't lie, anything else is pure bullshit. They just can't possibly build those big fancy buildings, hire so many assholes and fly around in biz jets by contributing anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth1 View Post

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster View Post
One of these days people are going to realize what a rip-off and con game all of insurance really is and demand that it be made illegal just as any other con game would be. That goes for all insurance including life, health, home, car, etc.

It's what fucked up healthcare in this country so adding more is exactly like throwing gasoline on a fire in an attempt to extinguish the blaze.

Mathematically speaking, insurance can not possibly add anything but cost, crime and corruption. It is impossible for it to add anything but grief to the system. Numbers don't and can't lie, anything else is pure bullshit. They just can't possibly build those big fancy buildings, hire so many assholes and fly around in biz jets by contributing anything else.
Totally.

And the Police are allowed to not have insurance because they say they can afford the liability. For you and I though, it is compulsory. They just love us so much.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
These are the pitfalls with modified vehicles. Many policies do not cover aftermarket equipment. Vehicles with body modifications like yours can be completely ignored/overlooked by the insurance company.

You really should have discussed these things with your agent before this accident happened. Not all insurance companies and/or policies are the same. Find out in advance what might not be covered.
Believe me, I will next time. Once I find a new company, I'll cover the actual replacement value. I'd happily pay a little more on a premium if I was guaranteed coverage.

They told me to get documentation of the additions to the truck... uh, open the hood It is listed as a base model 86 4Runner with a 4cyl, slight oversight don't you think?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have Geico and they said they will not cover aftermarket. They WILL allow me to remove all my aftermarket stuff if totalled without any loss in payout to me.

They also cover 4 wheeling if I'm going to my property and not joy riding.

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM

From what I've seen and knowing a few people who are worker bees at one of those big ambulance chasing litigation law firms, most any insurance company will fight you as far as they can to avoid paying you an honest price for your damage. A lot of delaying tactics and lowball offers. A lawyer wouldn't help much in your case though, not really cost effective unless you have someone who'll do it for cheap.

As ShowStop said, you should have gone over your upgrades with your agent beforehand but a lot of us are making mods & upgrades over time so it's unlikely the agent would ever have the most current description of your custom vehicle. You may be able to rebuttal Progressive's offer by showing receipts and recent photos of your truck to show how it's not a just stock '86 or whatever.

Progressive will want to total your truck and if you think it's worth fixing on your own you'll have to pay them the salvage value. Sucks all around, I hate to say.

97 Tacoma regular cab, 3.4
12 Toyota 4Runner SR5
92 C1500 Stepside restore project
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

You mean they will actually let you have your own shit? Well that's mighty white of em. Everyone should be so blessed. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainiha View Post
I have Geico and they said they will not cover aftermarket. They WILL allow me to remove all my aftermarket stuff if totalled without any loss in payout to me.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainiha View Post

I'm suspicious of that "joy riding" part. Sounds like a loophole where they could deny pretty much anything.

I'm such a pessimist I guess.

97 Tacoma regular cab, 3.4
12 Toyota 4Runner SR5
92 C1500 Stepside restore project
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Oh no! I was wondering why I haven't seen your truck in the past few days. I'm glad you're alright.

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Still dealing with this. It's gotten bad enough that the appraiser I hired told me to make a report with the state insurance commission. Typical games, no return contact until 2 messages or emails, rude and condescending on the phone, not willing to give any advice, trying to pressure me into taking their stupid $2,100 check.

I paid for an outside appraisal (Appraisal Specialties of CO, this guy is awesome) they had a third party appraisal done WITHOUT EVEN SEEING THE TRUCK! My appraiser is supposed to negotiate on my behalf with their appraiser, they gave me an arbitrary number without either appraiser ever talking to the other. My guy said that is not how it's done. Looks like I'll be getting screwed on this one. To be continued...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

why not get a lawyer?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingDrunk View Post
why not get a lawyer?
That would be the next step after going to the state insurance commission. I probably won't be going that far, I don't know that it's worth my time. I can't imagine my broke ass getting anything out of them through court. I'm just preparing to bend over at this point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode