looking for body work - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

looking for body work

I flopped my 4Runner and need quite a bit of work done. Wondering if anybody here does paint/body and is looking for work? I should be settling with the insurance soon and want to get rolling on it.

All passenger side damage. Fender, door and rear quarter need replaced. If I go this route I'll probably get the parts and might put them on myself. The A-pillar has a little damage, windshield sets fine so it doesn't look warped. Topper needs a little work. Complete repaint. I also want the rear fenders trimmed/tubbed while it's being worked on. The rest of the body is actually in really good shape and won't need a lot.

I'd kinda like to help on the project, I just don't have the space/tools/knowledge to tackle it all myself. That would be up to the person doing the work if they'd want me in their way or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

wakkjob does body work, and has a shop.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Cool I'll wait to see if he responds.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Can you send pics? How soon do you want it; I fish in Alaska June and July and have a regular job aside from that. I still have contacts for getting paint materials for cheap too; quality DuPont, not Omni or Sherwin Williams junk. I replaced both quarter panels for kilroy, painted a hood for toyo700 (i think that's his screen name) painted the bed and front clip for ssmith0480 and am making Felix's bed fit the links and hoops.

Holy crap, I'm a paint and body slut!

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
Can you send pics? How soon do you want it; I fish in Alaska June and July and have a regular job aside from that. I still have contacts for getting paint materials for cheap too; quality DuPont, not Omni or Sherwin Williams junk. I replaced both quarter panels for kilroy, painted a hood for toyo700 (i think that's his screen name) painted the bed and front clip for ssmith0480 and am making Felix's bed fit the links and hoops.

Holy crap, I'm a paint and body slut!
just dont let him tell you that he has candy in his van.

Last edited by drpdmazda; 03-19-2014 at 09:38 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to get it done as soon as I get some $ from insurance. Honestly I don't know how long it takes. Are you available in the next few weeks?

Take a look at the 6th shot, I want to trim the fenders above where the rust is, I'm getting some rubbing there anyway... I know it needs to be tubbed and I like the idea of lining the edge with some rod to support it.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

The rest of the body is pretty straight. Not much bondo really needed. Worst spot is the new gas filler door on the other side, the welds didn't fill to the body so it has rusted around the flange. I should have fixed that a long time ago. My filler is on drivers side cuz of the 3rd gen tank.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
The dents in the quarter look like they're able to be pulled out; shouldn't need another quarter panel. There's enough space behind the panel to swing a hammer too; and I have a stud puller as well.

As far as being available, I have to wrap up Felix's bed before I can open up some room in the shop. Before I say yes or no I'd like to see it in person because pictures may be worth 1,000 words, but actually seeing it is priceless. Do you want to keep it the same color?

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

That's cool, no big rush. You'll have to see the rear, maybe you can work it out but looks like some of the corners are creased. I think I'll change the color a bit but I might skip on the jambs and stuff.

I do a lot of wood restoration and built in carpentry so I'm pretty handy with filler and a sander and hvlp... never done auto work but I'm available to give you a hand. Got a kickass Festool sander that makes short time of sanding too.

Let me know when you free up your shop. Any idea how far out you're thinking?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
As it sits right now, I should have an open bay at the end of March or the first week of April. I will be in Alaska from June 1 through July 22 or so, in case you can't wait that long. Judging from the pictures, I don't think I could fix that in 2 months with just Sundays and Wednesdays to work on it.

If I quit my job right now, I could hammer it out; but I need my job. Damn bills...

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Ok I appreciate you thinking about it, but I better go a different direction.

It's my daily right now but I'm looking at buying a work truck or a beater so I can take some time with the runner. If we lived closer to each other I'd still consider... damn.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

just leave it the way it is, and pocket the left over cash. if you intend to take this truck on trails, youre gonna bang it up anyway.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpdmazda View Post
just leave it the way it is, and pocket the left over cash. if you intend to take this truck on trails, youre gonna bang it up anyway.
X2

It doesn't look bad. Save the money for new parts. Lockers or armor or a winch or gears or....A present for the wife to keep her happy...

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I have thought about leaving it. If I got a nice looking work truck to drive everyday that could happen.

Right now I do drive it every day, I guess I'm just materialistic enough that I do care about the looks. I never really intended to wheel it that much (tho gears, locker and armor do sound good!).

In case someone didn't know, it's a 3rd gen Runner with a 1st gen body swap. I feel like its too unique to bang up, if it was a stock 1st gen I would no doubt, for sure. That 3rd gen drives so nice though and we use it more as an expo rig I guess. Road trips, camping, some trails... basically a stock 3rd gen with light upgrades... and a removable top! It does turn heads in places like Moab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainiha View Post
X2

It doesn't look bad. Save the money for new parts. Lockers or armor or a winch or gears or....A present for the wife to keep her happy...
You're so romantic, thanks for the reminder! I haven't earned any free passes in a while!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth1 View Post
I have thought about leaving it. If I got a nice looking work truck to drive everyday that could happen.

Right now I do drive it every day, I guess I'm just materialistic enough that I do care about the looks. I never really intended to wheel it that much (tho gears, locker and armor do sound good!).

In case someone didn't know, it's a 3rd gen Runner with a 1st gen body swap. I feel like its too unique to bang up, if it was a stock 1st gen I would no doubt, for sure. That 3rd gen drives so nice though and we use it more as an expo rig I guess. Road trips, camping, some trails... basically a stock 3rd gen with light upgrades... and a removable top! It does turn heads in places like Moab.

You're so romantic, thanks for the reminder! I haven't earned any free passes in a while!
well that kind of changes the game. i think you should just sell it to me instead ha ha. that is a pretty rare setup (in my opinion) and may be worth getting it back to pretty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode