new to me sliders - prep help - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

new to me sliders - prep help

So I recently acquired some used sliders and while they're not in bad shape at all I'd still like to clean them up and repaint. Without going into the whole history and the debate of powder vs paint, let's just say I got quotes and it'd be about $200-250 for powder and I'm way more leaning toward paint.

But there's prep of stripping. I thought I'd blast them. Had quotes on that while I was there and both places were $100ish for the pair. Having more time than money right now and being a cheap bastard when I can, I thought I might do it myself since a gun isn't all that expensive. But after looking a the compressor I have available, it may not be up to it.

So a couple of questions: Is $100 pretty reasonable for blasting a pair of sliders (bolt-on bracket and top plate, so there's a bit more steel there than bare bones tubes)? Do any of you guys up north here do your own blasting or have facilities (be it full blown booth or just a 'set-up') I might use for beer or something? Or do you have a place you would recommend if I were to take them somewhere? Or should I just use a wire wheel/brush or something else rather than blasting?

Any recommendations on primer or paint brand/type? In my reading so far all I've got is a basic "zinc self-etching" for the primer, possibly POR-15, and that Rustoleum isn't that great. Keep in mind I don't wheel much or hard compared to most of the active members. I anticipate more paint damage from general road use (rock chipping) than actually putting it against a rock. I mean more frequent - I know that when I do really use it all bets are off.

I'm not a total idiot, but I haven't ever really done something this scale before, at least since I was a little kid helping my dad rebuild a jeep. A computer case is the biggest thing I remember painting since high-school. Just looking for any tips/advice help for a noob with no local access to tools and workspace. Failing anything else another option I've got is wait until I go back to visit the parents for Xmas and use the facilities Dad has access to there.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM

I would just wire wheel/ flap disc the rust or paint off and rattle can it with some rustoleum. I wouldn't spend too much money on sliders that are gonna be abused. But that's just me. In the end, it's your decision.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
^ x2

My sliders are welded on and I just recently took a flap disc to them to clean them up after 10yrs of trail abuse. Took almost 4hrs to do because they are mounted to the truck. But after I cleaned them up and repainted, they look nice again. Until the next rock crawling trip...lol
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 AM
ike
Veteran Member

As stated above, the wire wheel is your friend. Just be sure to wear eye protection.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

While most powder coating places do sand blasting I wouldn't waste the time or money on powder coating sliders if you plan to use them. Powder coating won't stand up to the rocks and abuse any better than rattle can paint.

If they aren't already I'd make up some simple brackets and bolt them on as opposed to welding them on. There are several reasons why including ease of service, access to the space behind the rocker panels, stong as if not stronger than welding and you aren't weaking your frame with heat affected areas that you can't get away from if you weld them on.

I used existing holes in the frame for though bolts that hold my U brackets firmly in place. The U brakets capture the entire frame rail, not just the outer wall as welding them on does. If you think about it, welding something to your truck that you fully intend to beat the hell out of on the rocks makes no sense. Adding some hoops to protect the cab behind the door isn't a bad idea either. If you have a double cab you can make them so they fold down and out of the way for access.

As far as escaping the occasional repainting required, no matter what kind of paint or coating you use about the only way to escape that is to do what I did and make your sliders out of stainless steel. However so far I'm the only person I've seen crazy enough to do that though. It's expensive but stainless is very stout tough stuff and there is never any rust to fret about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidchylde View Post
So I recently acquired some used sliders and while they're not in bad shape at all I'd still like to clean them up and repaint. Without going into the whole history and the debate of powder vs paint, let's just say I got quotes and it'd be about $200-250 for powder and I'm way more leaning toward paint.

But there's prep of stripping. I thought I'd blast them. Had quotes on that while I was there and both places were $100ish for the pair. Having more time than money right now and being a cheap bastard when I can, I thought I might do it myself since a gun isn't all that expensive. But after looking a the compressor I have available, it may not be up to it.

So a couple of questions: Is $100 pretty reasonable for blasting a pair of sliders (bolt-on bracket and top plate, so there's a bit more steel there than bare bones tubes)? Do any of you guys up north here do your own blasting or have facilities (be it full blown booth or just a 'set-up') I might use for beer or something? Or do you have a place you would recommend if I were to take them somewhere? Or should I just use a wire wheel/brush or something else rather than blasting?

Any recommendations on primer or paint brand/type? In my reading so far all I've got is a basic "zinc self-etching" for the primer, possibly POR-15, and that Rustoleum isn't that great. Keep in mind I don't wheel much or hard compared to most of the active members. I anticipate more paint damage from general road use (rock chipping) than actually putting it against a rock. I mean more frequent - I know that when I do really use it all bets are off.

I'm not a total idiot, but I haven't ever really done something this scale before, at least since I was a little kid helping my dad rebuild a jeep. A computer case is the biggest thing I remember painting since high-school. Just looking for any tips/advice help for a noob with no local access to tools and workspace. Failing anything else another option I've got is wait until I go back to visit the parents for Xmas and use the facilities Dad has access to there.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

The only reason I even considered powder and got the quotes is because someone mentioned it was a lot cheaper than they were expecting and they'd gotten a full set of skids done for $75. If it were that much or even a little more for the pair, I'd probably do it. But I've done a lot of forum reading and understand/agree with the paint rather than powder standpoint.

I suppose I was also considering it because they will see more rock-chip than rock-slide time and I was thinking the powder would hold up better to that. As I said, I understand once you're on the trail with the intended use of sliders, all bets are off. I'm just not impressed with the way the existing paint has held up on them if it's only been two years and no offroad use. Occasional repainting is expected, but I don't want to have to touch them up a couple of times year when I haven't even hit anything with them to keep them on the same level as the rest of the truck body is. It hasn't matured into a full trail rig yet. :P

In my case they're more for protection than planned use and abuse, at least for the foreseeable future. I don't wheel trails where they even *could* get hit more than a few times a year, and I'm mostly interested in those cases where it's just that one rock or ledge that could easily cause a problem on an otherwise easy trail. So far I've either been lucky (Ike was there for that first one on Kelly Flats) or just really careful. Or both.

Just to clarify, they are bolt-ons. All-Pro Apex to be specific. My roommate has an angle grinder, so I'll probably at least try the wirewheel/flapdisc approach first (and yes, always eyes and ears as needed). I just know that most of the quality of a paint job is in the prep, and while I may have to touch it up (even frequently with actual use) I'd like to do the best base job I can to start with.

Still pretty much stock.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

For your intended use, spring for the powder coating.

didn't you have problems with the paint on some TG sliders?

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 PM

Hey, just did this in vegas last week. Bought used black powder coated sliders, but I have a blue truck. Took to reasonable PC shop and cost is $125 to recoat, they look good. Spray canned another set and just cant get good finish. Haven't scratched mine yet to know...

Just like blue trucks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Well if you're not gonna actually use them then go for the powder coating.
However if you do, you should not have to do anything in the way of prep as every powder coater that I've ever delt with will typically sand blast the part first.

Sand blasting will prep it way better that you ever will with a brush or flap wheel and what paint is on them now will be gone in seconds when blasted along with any rust.
Any reputable powder coater should tell you that much.

If the powder coater you're talking too doesn't do that, then find another one who's doing it right. If he doesn't prep it right, then the coating will likely be done like crap too.
Pricing for powder coating is all over the board so it usually pays to shop around. A few minutes on the phone can save you a ton of time, effort and money. Recently I had two steel shelving units done. The two local guys wanted a heap of money to do it but I drove 30 miles and had both units done for what one of the local guys wanted just to prep just one unit and they were in really bad shape too. They came back looking better than new.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
didn't you have problems with the paint on some TG sliders?
Nope, not me. These are the first I've ever gotten. Been on the list since the start, but the short version is at least I had it paid off before the money went away. Opportunity came up, was too good to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway blue View Post
Took to reasonable PC shop and cost is $125 to recoat, they look good.
See, that's reasonable to me. Twice that, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster View Post
...you should not have to do anything in the way of prep...[snip] Pricing for powder coating is all over the board so it usually pays to shop around.
Yes, both places I talked to blast first. Even if you bring them a bare part. The difference is in the time they take doing so and charging you for it. I was told if they had to blast prior powder off that would take some time and be more. Both actually looked at one of the sliders and saw what rust and paint is on them, and estimated about an hour ish for the pair. At $70-90 an hour as the shop blasting rate. Thus far I've only talked to the two places recommended to me and they're pretty consistent, but yeah I could call a few more.

I know blasting will be faster and more thorough than brush/flap. As I said I've got more time than money these days, so if I can buy what I need to blast for less than being charged I'd do it. I was just hoping one of the other guys in the area might do it a little more regularly (or at all) and have the stuff I could maybe use. And if not, well Xmas isn't that far off and I'd have access to a shop and help then, so...

Still pretty much stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode