Looking for Competent Dealer for Warranty Work - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Looking for Competent Dealer for Warranty Work

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a Toyota dealer that they feel is competent in the repair department. Here's the deal, I have an oil leak from the dreaded Cam Tower on my Tundra with the 5.7L. This should be covered under warranty. From what I've gathered, this is a pretty big teardown of the engine and has the potential to be a little too much for some techs. I'm asking locally about Bighorn in Glenwood, as they're the closest, the same with the dealer in Junction. I've PM'd TheFatKid, but don't if he's still around or even working at a dealer these days.

So...what'd ya'll say 'bout who?

Thanks,
Jade

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:57 PM

According to his profile, thefatkid hasn't been on here since January. However he does still work at a dealer and is active on another forum (I'll PM him there for you). Don't know that he does warranty work though, and I know the other tech doesn't. A quick search turned up recommendations for Stevinson West.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

I checked his profile too. I figured that the forum would automatically notify him by email that he had a PM. If you could do that, it'd be great. I'm more interested in picking his brain for a recommendation than asking him specifically to do the work not knowing exactly his forte. This sounds like a pretty involved task, and like anyone else, I'd want a tech that's done a few.

Thanks for the response, and for chasing Brian down for me.

Jade

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 PM

NP. Email notification depends, since you can turn it off. And sent him notification of your PM.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Many thanks!

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

I had a moment to wander in to the Glenwood Springs dealer today, but without the truck. I mentioned that I noticed an oil leak that appeared in the area of the valve cover, but that I had heard that it could also be something else. I was kinda fishing. The fella at the desk said it could be the cam tower and that, naturally, they would need to inspect it before coming to that conclusion. All appointments are about a week out, but it was mildly reassuring that they were aware of what it might be without my having to say it directly. The fella also mentioned that the repair is a full days work. Still not sure if I trust the joint without a recommendation from someone trustworthy. Further investigation required...

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

I was happy with the work the GSW Toyota dealer did on my FJ, but that was 8 years ago...

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

Hey there Eric! Long time.

I forgot that I posted this here.
My motorcycle had a couple TSBs, so to kind of kill two birds by driving to only one city, I took them both to Denver. Stevinson West was the dealer I dealt with. They put UV dye in the oil, steamed the engine and asked me to come back in a week. I make an appointment before leaving saying that it would probably be leaking before I got home.

It wasn't leaking by the time I got home, but it was after not being driven for the next two days. They took it in and repaired it under warranty taking a weeks time, I picked it up yesterday.

I was told that the warranty only covered three days vehicle rental, but the dealer covered three more days because it took longer than it was supposed to. Also, the rental only covered a car, I needed a truck to pull a trailer so I had to cover the difference...spendy.

Now we see if it stays fixed.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, I've been away for a while. Just now getting the rig trail-ready again with hopes of getting to the hills this summer.

I hope the warranty work holds. Brian thefatkid is at Groove Toyota in Englewood and has been taking care of the FJ for the past 7 years, but I just went out of warranty so...!

BTW, I'm trying to track down the current CoTTORA club president. I have some treasurer business that needs to be taken care of ASAP. Help?

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Eats Own Boogers

I hope the work holds as well. I reached out to TFK, but didn't hear back, no worries though.

I never really kept track of who was what in the hierarchy of the local chapter, but I see that you have a thread for that.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra RCSB 5.7L
AWD (not a typo)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode