Sayin hey... - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Sayin hey...

Hello, I just signed up for the forum.

My wife and I moved to Denver from Chicago last fall, we are in process of closing on a house in Thornton CO, and I just picked up a 95 4Runner SR5 as a "grocery getter" to hold us over for a while, and eventually become a weekender/hobby truck. I figure i'll do some bolt-ons for the next year or so, then take her off the road for a more significant overhaul.

I am not that familiar with 4x4's or going wheeling just yet, but I am looking forward to learning, and getting our truck up to par so we can take it out camping, and maybe join up for some group events.

I'll be using the search button liberally, and appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL
2008 little girl- requires frequent maintenance

It's like you keep talkin about gorgonzola cheese when it is clearly bree time baby ~ Harland Williams as "the hitcher"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

welcome!

You got a ton of resources here to help you along in both working on the truck and getting out and wheeling it. Watch for the plan a trail run section and check out 4x4trails.net for local trails with ratings so you know what fits your abilities.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Watch for the plan a trail run section and check out 4x4trails.net for local trails with ratings so you know what fits your abilities.

Thanks for the welcome-

Unfortunately, given the age of our truck the trails that are within our capabilities are likely going to be dirt roads for the moment... LoL

Our 94 has a classic case of rear suspension sag so I am looking at doing 4 corners of shocks, and springs, then probably wheels and tires as long as the power plant holds out (3.0/Auto with 218k on the clock). I'll have to be looking into the motor situation next spring if it holds- Wife is driving the 4Runner as a grocery getter until I can get her something better, or I can rotate her into the TL, and get myself an economical beater for the commute.

I'd be hesitant to really wheel the 4Runner if we are depending on it- but i would be interested in some meet ups, and tech sessions, so hopefully you all will see me around.

P

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

It's like you keep talkin about gorgonzola cheese when it is clearly bree time baby ~ Harland Williams as "the hitcher"

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah- here is the 4Runner

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Nice to have you on board. Getting that sag eliminated is an easy fix, but with lots of options! We do all kinds of runs/gatherings, so look forward to meeting you.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
And for the record you can caome to a H.O.W - House Of Wrenching. Redrunnertc and I have one near you. So we can help you. If you need welding (Sliders) Troy can do that too.

You'll find that CoTTORA is very different than the National board (TTORA) We don't flame and get bitchy like they do on the national board. So if you need anything, post up on CoTTORA and we'll help ya out

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, those are some tiny tires!

As for the age of the truck, don't worry about it. There are MANY of us 'wheeling rigs older than yours!

Here's probably the most cost effective way to fix your sag and replace shocks:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CADA-BBHG.aspx

Also, for more technical info on your 4Runner, check out www.yotatech.com

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

welcome!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome man. Cool group for sure. I have been pretty busy lately so haven't been so involved. Just purchased a house myself and found a new job, which has taken a lot of my time.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Hope you don't take offense, but i LOATHE Shitcago...

But i like you

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
Welcome!

But i like you
I feel the same way about SoCal... and people from there . But you're alright.

de·gen·er·ate

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel the same way about SoCal... and people from there . But you're alright.
na its those norcal bastards that are a waste of space.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
Welcome!

But i like you
thats AWESOME.

We weren't to fond of it either, but it was a career move. Fortunately they eventually moved us out here to Colorado (which is where we always wanted to be) so that paid off alright!

LoL

P

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Wow, those are some tiny tires!

As for the age of the truck, don't worry about it. There are MANY of us 'wheeling rigs older than yours!

Here's probably the most cost effective way to fix your sag and replace shocks:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CADA-BBHG.aspx

Also, for more technical info on your 4Runner, check out www.yotatech.com
You ain't kiddin about the wheels. Wait till you see it- it looks like one of those old roller skates...

Glad to be aboard- THANK YOU EVERYONE for the welcomes, I'll be sure to contribute as best I can, and thanks in advance for the guidance I know I'll be in need of it.

Phil

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

When they wear out, you can fit 33x10.50 with no lift ... makes all the Tacoma guys jealous.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
Watch it BUB!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
you know, there's not alot of difference between norcal and colorado people. As long as your ignore the Bay Area that is.

de·gen·er·ate

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
you know, there's not alot of difference between norcal and colorado people. As long as your ignore the Bay Area that is.
the big difference between colorado people and norcal people is that colorado people didnt move here in search of wide open colorado mountains! we started out here
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
the big difference between colorado people and norcal people is that colorado people didnt move here in search of wide open colorado mountains! we started out here
Well can you blame them?

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
To bad the Bay Area type people dominate Nor-Cal

And it's the same with So-Cal, if you can ignore LA it's a great place to live.

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
true norcal folks move to colorado not in search of wide open colorado mountains, but to get away from all the other crap in california. Calil has pleanty of mountains.

It's true what Sucka says.. Cali isn't so bad, it's got a huge concentration of crap that 1) makes all of cali look bad and 2) destroys the state economics that screws everybody living up in the hills and out on the farms (that you don't often hear about).

de·gen·er·ate

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Welcome to CoTTORA

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome! That 4Runner looks nice. Don't worry too much about the age and mileage on her - it just means more of an excuse to modify and upgrade.

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome! That 4Runner looks nice. Don't worry too much about the age and mileage on her - it just means more of an excuse to modify and upgrade.

I like the way you think!

I am not worried about the age as much as I might have come across initially. When I went shopping I WANTED an older truck so I wouldn't feel weary about shifting her into 4WD and enjoying what the vehicle was made to do. Also I didn't pay much, so my upgrade budget is padded a bit better.

Really I just want to be sure she is mechanically sound- once I am satisfied that it really is in as good a condition as I believe she is- the mods will begin.

RedRunnerTC's link to the suspension upgrade is going to be really useful- I think once this house closing business is out of the way that will be my first direction, and then probably some steel 16x10's and some treads.

My Brother in Law returns from Iraq in May, and we are trying to get him to settle out here in Colorado. Clayton had a RAM set up for wheeling in Missouri before he left, but will probably be shopping for a new truck when he gets home. He can add some technical expertise for me, and also hopefully we will be participating in some "House of Wrenching" sessions.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and becoming part of the group here. I don't have any 4x4 experience yet, but I came out of an excellent Integra community, and this one seems to be shaping up as a great new home. I really enjoy the social aspects of joining online/hobby communities.

Making new friends is a big part of the fun.

Phil

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post
I like the way you think!

I am not worried about the age as much as I might have come across initially. When I went shopping I WANTED an older truck so I wouldn't feel weary about shifting her into 4WD and enjoying what the vehicle was made to do. Also I didn't pay much, so my upgrade budget is padded a bit better.

Really I just want to be sure she is mechanically sound- once I am satisfied that it really is in as good a condition as I believe she is- the mods will begin.

RedRunnerTC's link to the suspension upgrade is going to be really useful- I think once this house closing business is out of the way that will be my first direction, and then probably some steel 16x10's and some treads.

My Brother in Law returns from Iraq in May, and we are trying to get him to settle out here in Colorado. Clayton had a RAM set up for wheeling in Missouri before he left, but will probably be shopping for a new truck when he gets home. He can add some technical expertise for me, and also hopefully we will be participating in some "House of Wrenching" sessions.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and becoming part of the group here. I don't have any 4x4 experience yet, but I came out of an excellent Integra community, and this one seems to be shaping up as a great new home. I really enjoy the social aspects of joining online/hobby communities.

Making new friends is a big part of the fun.

Phil
Check this out:

https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122172

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Welcome to CoTTORA!

What part of Thornton are you moving into?
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanman View Post
Welcome to CoTTORA!

What part of Thornton are you moving into?
Skylake Ranch- Holly/113th

If we can ever get closed on the damn house...

P

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
Very cool.

Unfortunately Shannon (my wife) will be at the family vacation home in Michigan with the 4Runner in the month of July (must be nice to be a stay at home mom- unlimited vacation time...),

I am willing to volunteer time/effort if you need course workers, or Chili / BBQ chefs.

P

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post
and then probably some steel 16x10's and some treads.
Let me recommend a different size rim...

Tires for 16" rims are MUCH more expensive than 15" and there is not really any significant performance increase with the larger rim. For example, a 33" tire has 9" of sidewall (on each side of the rim), so a 16" will have 8" - not going to improve the "handling" much with only a 11" difference!

Going 10" wide on the rims will exaggerate any fitment issues and possibly cause bead retention problems and greatly increase your chances of incurring rim damage on the trail.

Seriously, your best bet to fit the tallest possible tire on the rig (and thereby get maximum clearance under the axles) is to keep the tire skinny (like 10.50" wide) and mount it at the stock backspacing/offset.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Let me recommend a different size rim...

Tires for 16" rims are MUCH more expensive than 15" and there is not really any significant performance increase with the larger rim. For example, a 33" tire has 9" of sidewall (on each side of the rim), so a 16" will have 8" - not going to improve the "handling" much with only a 11" difference!

Going 10" wide on the rims will exaggerate any fitment issues and possibly cause bead retention problems and greatly increase your chances of incurring rim damage on the trail.

Seriously, your best bet to fit the tallest possible tire on the rig (and thereby get maximum clearance under the axles) is to keep the tire skinny (like 10.50" wide) and mount it at the stock backspacing/offset.
And THAT my friends is why i am here!

Phil

Phil

94 4Runner SR5
04 Acura TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode