Ive been thinking - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ive been thinking

I live in FL. and for the last two years I have been thinking about moving to colorado if I do move to CO. where is a good place to live and that is close to a city but at the same time I can get out to some trails within a few hours? I work for a BMW dealership and would be looking to get a job at another BMW dealership out there which is why I would want to live close to a city maybe denver? how close is the colorado springs from denver? I'm over the weather in FL. and driving out of state to ride some trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to poorboyota26
Boulder if you can deal with Trustafarians. I hated living there myself but I'm not much into the silver spoon crowd.

But Boulder would be a busy BMW dealership. 1 hour from some decent trails, 2 hours from some gnarly trails.

86 runner
Rebuilt 22re, r151, ep9.0, 31's, addicted front bumper
04 Tacoma DC with custom body work
Dreams of owning a fzj80, fj60, fj45 troopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Yea, 2 days later and I still feel like a sack of assholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Leary ExPo
Years from now, when we are dead and gone... the roaches will be driving little Toyotas with 3.4s.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

What's are these or do u even want to know lol (Trustafarians)

my rig us still ifs but it's setup pretty good for a ifs rig so a good selection would be nice to have! Thanks for the input!

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Depending on how close you wanted to be to Denver anywhere along the Front Range (I-25 coridor) might work for you. Fort Collins is only about an hour north of Denver, there's a BMW dealership up this way (actually it's in Loveland which is a little closer to Denver). There's a few trails about an hour away from here, more easy to moderate trails though. Colorado Springs is about an hour south of Denver.

The advice to anyone thinking of moving here though has been make sure you have a job lined up BEFORE you pull up stakes and move out here. Job market isn't horrible, but there's still alot of people out of work here too. There's been a couple of other threads in General Discussions to this effect in the last couple of months if you want some more research material.

88 4Runner, 3.Slow 5spd, 4.88's and lockers, 265 75 KM2's

Quote:
I just did the math. It is, in fact, cheaper to go out drinking every weekend than it would be for me to pay for a legitimate therapist. What are you doing next Friday night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
It's not Marlin's fault I thought I was a race car driver and fucked my shit up.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtygerman View Post
What's are these or do u even want to know lol (Trustafarians)
trust fund babies

I don't have much to add, except I would recommend Colorado to anyone looking to move. I want to move out of state for a change but CO is hard to beat. I've lived in Denver my whole life so I can't comment on the differences between cities. There's going to be wheeling near fort collins, boulder, denver or colorado springs.

Good luck

Oh yea, what's wrong with FL? That was one of the places I had considered moving
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

FL=hot humid,mud,no fun wheelin,nothing to do but beach activites and about 85% of the beaches will not let you drive on them anymore, bars, drinking Bon fires and the hunting sucks here! If you like fishing your set!
Scuba diving! That's about all I can think of at this point, I want more out side activites I love mountin biking, snowboarding, I've never lived anywhere else but FL. I'm 24 no kids I'm not married so I figured why not do it now!

Don't get me wrong I like FL a lot but I think it's time for change!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

That would be an ultra-crappy commute from Fort Collins/Loveland area down to COS if the GF is going to be stationed there. I'd shoot for something in the burbs of Denver, Golden or south from there. Thinking CastleRock or the likes.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Where did a GF in COS come up?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Huh? lol......
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

uh, yeah.. about that.. nevermind... I was thinking about another thread where somebody was planning on moving out with their GF who was being stationed in COS.

de·gen·er·ate

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
uh, yeah.. about that.. nevermind... I was thinking about another thread where somebody was planning on moving out with their GF who was being stationed in COS.
...<insert old/senile/bad eyesight joke here>...

88 4Runner, 3.Slow 5spd, 4.88's and lockers, 265 75 KM2's

Quote:
I just did the math. It is, in fact, cheaper to go out drinking every weekend than it would be for me to pay for a legitimate therapist. What are you doing next Friday night?
Quote:
It's not Marlin's fault I thought I was a race car driver and fucked my shit up.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Lol it's all good, me and a co-worker and his room mate like snowboarding and wheeling so they have me thinking about it a lot now. When I go out there this year to go snowboarding I'll talk to a few dealerships about jobs an look at places to stay unless somehow I sell my car and then Ill be shooting for the end of this year!

but who knows I'm just along for the ride in my crazy life! lol
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
What do you do in your current BMW dealership?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Service I'm almost a master tech! One more year and then master tech statis three more training credits and I'll be level1 I've been there four years come october 2nd. I've been into BMW,Vw,audi all my life until about a year ago my good friend mark also my co-worker took me out wheeling in his taco from there out I was hooked I bought a built taco from bob at builttobeat in AZ.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Oh cool! You need to talkt o Russ (VWFast60) on here. He might have some good recomendations.

I used to have a Z3. Fun car. Too bad I lent it to, too many CoTTORA guys.

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Is he a active member?

Which model z3 did u have? The Z3,Z4 are fun to drive like a big go kart!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM

IM waiting for my fiance to get stationed in cos were you thinking of me ???
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
In Rememberance

He is an active member. PM him. His name is Russ. Very cool guy. Tell him I told ya to contact him. He isn't on here all the time so a PM to him would be ideal. (vwfastg60)

I had a 2001 Z3 3.0i It was fun as hell. But alas those things are wicked expensive. I had an extended warranty that when my leather dash started to warp - I found out it would not vcover it. BMW quoted me a new dash and repairs at over 5K. Screw that

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Honestly, Thornton/Brighton/Longmont area would likely be of interest for you. Far enough away from everything to where it doesn't feel like you're surround by city. But not so far away that it takes forever to get anywhere.

From my door (here in Brighton) I can be in:
Downtown Denver - 20-25minutes
Boulder - 30 minutes
Ft. Collins - 50 minutes
Golden/foothills - 30 minutes
Idaho Springs - 45 minutes
Keystone (best resort for boarding IMO) - 1hr 20 minutes
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

BMW= BROKE MY WALLET! how do you like your runner? and what made you get into wheeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
He is an active member. PM him. His name is Russ. Very cool guy. Tell him I told ya to contact him. He isn't on here all the time so a PM to him would be ideal. (vwfastg60)

I had a 2001 Z3 3.0i It was fun as hell. But alas those things are wicked expensive. I had an extended warranty that when my leather dash started to warp - I found out it would not vcover it. BMW quoted me a new dash and repairs at over 5K. Screw that

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

This sounds perfect! how far is this from trail heads? I want to go wheeling everyweekend when I move out there until Ive worn the tires off and then the wheels will be next to wear off lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Honestly, Thornton/Brighton/Longmont area would likely be of interest for you. Far enough away from everything to where it doesn't feel like you're surround by city. But not so far away that it takes forever to get anywhere.

From my door (here in Brighton) I can be in:
Downtown Denver - 20-25minutes
Boulder - 30 minutes
Ft. Collins - 50 minutes
Golden/foothills - 30 minutes
Idaho Springs - 45 minutes
Keystone (best resort for boarding IMO) - 1hr 20 minutes
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
In Rememberance

Shoot wheeling is just as hard on the wallet as the BMW was. And I have been in wheeling longer than the BMW... that was just a fad.

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Here's something it will be hard for you to get used to ....

It's nothing for people to drive 2, 3, 5 hours to get somewhere. Back when I lived in the East, people would scream bloody murder if they had to drive 2 hrs!

There are a TON of trailheads within 1-2 hours making for easy day trips. Moab is about 5 making for a long-weekend trip.

... and you may THINK you want to 'wheel every weekend, but lemme tell ya - it's hard on the truck and the body, plus there's so much other stuff to do outdoors here!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Here's something it will be hard for you to get used to ....

It's nothing for people to drive 2, 3, 5 hours to get somewhere. Back when I lived in the East, people would scream bloody murder if they had to drive 2 hrs!

There are a TON of trailheads within 1-2 hours making for easy day trips. Moab is about 5 making for a long-weekend trip.

... and you may THINK you want to 'wheel every weekend, but lemme tell ya - it's hard on the truck and the body, plus there's so much other stuff to do outdoors here!

True
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtygerman View Post
FL=hot humid,mud,no fun wheelin,nothing to do but beach activites and about 85% of the beaches will not let you drive on them anymore, bars, drinking Bon fires and the hunting sucks here! If you like fishing your set!
Scuba diving! That's about all I can think of at this point, I want more out side activites I love mountin biking, snowboarding, I've never lived anywhere else but FL. I'm 24 no kids I'm not married so I figured why not do it now!

Don't get me wrong I like FL a lot but I think it's time for change!

Right on, sounds like you're in a similar boat as me. Speaking of boats, that's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to move to the coast. Sailing is becoming a bigger passion of mine and there's only so much of that you can do here in CO.

I don't like the humidity though. SD is my first out of state choice but CA, the state, just plan sucks ass. I'll probably just be lazy and stay here.

Good luck on your move!
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

As the Unofficial Colorado Unwelcomer, I feel I have a duty to expose some of the more egregious myths propagated by our tourism department, and a few that just seem to be floating around in (very) thin air.

#1 We do not get 300 days of sun a year. Or, if we do, we also get 300 days of rain. It's better than hurricanes. From what I remember of Florida, you'll be used to the weather...sun in the morning, rain in the afternoon/evening.

#2 The snow does not stay in the mountains, much to the chagrin of a lot of people from fair-weather states. It only really dumps a few times a year in the flatlands, but when it does, either you have 4WD and ground clearance or you're not moving. In general, when it flurries, everybody's on the road but nobody's moving. I chalk this up to stupidity and lack of skill, stemming from lack of adequate tires and total inability to adapt. It doesn't get too much better when the weather is good...nobody here can merge anyway, and when the stoplights at the end of the merge lanes were added, it brought the speed of rush hour traffic down another 20mph.

#3 Too many people bought in to Vail Resorts' marketing line "Colorado Pass: It's Why You Live Here!" Now, nobody can drive up I-70 to the ski areas on weekends at anything better than 25mph, and that's if you're lucky. It's not just skiers either...it's people who want to tell their coworkers they walked around Breckenridge last weekend...whether they hit the slopes or just went shopping, they're still on the road. There are "off seasons"...but because Summit County depends in large part on tourist money from Denver, there are events all summer long, which means there will be traffic all year round except late fall and mid spring. Good luck getting up or down in less than three hours during peak traffic, which is from 6AM to 11AM Saturday and Sunday mornings, and 3:30PM to 7PM Sat/Sun evenings. It's also heavier Friday nights between about 5PM and 8PM. On "big" weekends (three day, gov't/school holiday, etc), if you're planning on driving, don't. Get a plane ticket, or get up there early, and leave late. It will take four hours to drive from Golden to Idaho Springs on President's Day weekend (thankfully it wasn't me. I told my buddy he was crazy, but he didn't listen). A disturbing lack of driving skill coupled with severe storms in the last few years has led to more closures on I-70 between Floyd Hill and Vail Pass than I saw in the better part of a decade when I used to live here. I got so sick of the bullshit that I didn't buy a pass last season, and I'm not buying one this season. I don't like driving in that traffic, those people make me foam at the mouth. "Keep Right Except To Pass" would probably be better printed on a wifflel bat and wielded by a midget in the back seat of every SUV between Denver and Vail, because I swear nobody reads the signs.

#4 All of the bullshit in #3 is between YOU and MOAB from Thanksgiving weekend to some time in April.

#5 Personally, I would estimate the job market here to be tougher than a lot of other cities. In addition to three major colleges, there are technical schools and additional campuses which flood the job market three times a year. Colorado is also a "lifestyle state"...people don't move here to be financial giants or join the Film Actors Guild, they move here to find a job to pay the bills so they can be part of the I-70 parking lot on weekends. If you want to move here, get a confirmed job offer...signed on the dotted line, or don't move. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for expensive failure.

#6 Colorado will not cure all your ills. Yes, there are mountains. No, you can't easily get to them (see #3). Definitely look at other cities in the Intermountain West. You, like me and others here, sound like you need mountains. I chose this area for various reasons, but if I had options, the Denver area wouldn't be my first choice in the state, and Colorado wouldn't be my first choice of states. What Colorado does have is a thriving tourism industry that would have the rest of the country believe that Colorado is defined by a small part of the state called Summit County. Don't believe the hype.

#7 Traffic isn't good here. It's not LA bad, it's not DC bad, but it is bad. It might only be fifteen miles from where I live to where Offroad Solutions used to be (maybe less), but at the wrong time of day, that's an hour. It can take an hour to cross downtown at the wrong time, it can be an hour from Boulder to Denver. Your commute will be measured in minutes, not miles...obviously it's better to live where you work, but that's not always feasible.

#8 Sometimes Denver can really seem like an overgrown cow town trying to be SoCal. Avoid the Californication, Denver has a lot to offer, if you can see around all the Californians. Note--if you can't tell they're from California, then they're not from California anymore.

It is not all bad, you just have to work around the bullshit. You sound like you'd fit in well. If the above doesn't bother you, and you have a job offer, come on out.

It's not that Colorado should only be populated by the elusive "Colorado Native" (good luck finding one), it's that the state needs more people who want to be a part of Colorado, rather than make Colorado part of SoCal (or wherever they came from).

-Sean

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

haha nice post. #3 is why I don't snowboard anymore. I do indeed hate the traffic but it's also because of how packed the ski resorts are on the weekends. I'd just rather go wheeling.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

The trick to skiing is to not work on weekdays. There is little to no traffic Monday-Friday day. My usual trip to the hill (granted its loveland, which is cold, windy, has slow lifts, and you won't like it- don't go there. This applies to everybody) takes only 25 min on average. Being a night guy I can ski 100+ days a year, with only the most epic dumps getting me on the road on a weekend. Because he's right, the weekends suck ass. You can, however, get up at 5:30, and if you are past Idaho Springs by 8am, and leave the hill by 12:30ish, you'll be alright. Otherwise, its not much but a lot of

Yes, there are a lot of "non-natives" and "goddamn Californians/texans/whatever" here. Please do not be an asshole like most of them. It amazes me how they came here to "escape" wherever they came from, and then proceed to act in the exact same manner, as if they weren't part of the damn problem. this state has gone from less than 2 million people in '77 when I came here to well over 4.5 million now. If you want what it was like then, try montana. For the record, I lived there for a year; they said all the same things about Coloradans as we say about Californians, and they were all moving to Alaska.

The Front Range has the majority of the people, and also the issues mentioned by me and others. Unfortunately, also the jobs. I think the ideal solution would be to have some kind of telecommuting job, and live farther in the mountains. If I ever quit being lazy, this will be what I try to do. Besides the Roaring Fork Valley (Aspen), Vail, and Summit County, there are several very good places to live that have all the traditional benefits of Colorado without all the BS and high cost of living of those places. Chaffee County (Salida and Buena Vista) come to mind, but also areas like Gunnison, Durango, some of the areas around Steamboat (not in it!), etc.

Not trying to discourage you, as I quite like it here. I would move back to Montana or some of the other Western CO places though if I had a job to move to. Just giving a "forewarned is forearmed" and all that.

'01 Taco, DD, 33's, dented armor, squeaks, rattles
'80 Pickup, 35's, locked, armored, geared, lifted, and does ok when the hubs are locked in.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Oddly enough, the discussion about the time it takes to get up 70 to go skiing sounds EXACTLY like the ones they have in California getting up 80 or 50 to the ski resorts.

You've been californicated already, you're welcome.

whatcha' bitchin about?

de·gen·er·ate

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chalkie
I wish I could agree that Chaffee County has a lower cost of living, but since we own property there, I can say it just ain't so. Property values are through the roof there to get anything decent. Rental prices keep going up. Utilities (electric in particular) are outrageous, and you can figure 20-30 cents/gallon more for gasoline there than along the front range.

Colorado Springs and Pueblo probably offer the best cost of living along the front range and there are an incredible amount of people that live in the Springs and commute to Denver (I never would). While they are not the 'big' names in ski areas you can get to Monarch or Cooper in less time from the Springs than you can get to Summit County from Denver on the weekends.

There are only 5 BMW dealerships in the state and they are Colorado Springs and north. The real key, as others have said is have a job locked down before you move.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode