New from Boulder - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

New from Boulder

After hearing about ttora from a guy I met on coney/stvrain, who I think might be a ttora member, I decided to join. I wanted a Tacoma since I was like 12 but after graduating high school in 2008, my parents bought me a new corolla...

So July of 2009 I traded it for a stock 2006 TRD-O/R access cab Tacoma, and within the first 3-14 days had it out on yankee hill-kingstonpeak-caribou-Argentinepass. My goal is to get armor all the way around, some real tires, suspension upgrade, winch, front locker and keep it till the day I die.
As of today all I got on this thing is an AFE intake, new pinstripes from my T-33Planecrash trip and the OE locker/foglights.

Hope to see some of you soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	21078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacoma 3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21079   Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	21080  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Looks like a clean truck, welcome!

I'd absolutely start with sliders first! Your rockers are the most vulnerable/expensive portion of sheet metal on your truck.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Would you have any idea what sliders you guys trust? I found a thread somewhere where you guys seem to like AllPro, Shrockworks and one that starts with a "D"

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Demello. And yeah I like the all-pro sliders but that is all I like of theirs. Also look at Trail Gear if $$ is an issue.

Welcome BTW!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommended trail gear for anything personally. I've got ORS sliders (unfortunately, ORS is no longer in business) and love them.

When looking at sliders, .188 -.25 wall is IDEAL ; many will argue, but 1/4" is NEVER too thick when you look at it in retrospect. You're buying steel to protect your truck, the thicker it is, the better job it will do.

You may even be able to talk someone into helping you build your own set of sliders, it's fairly cheap to get steel to do so.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Nate has a point ^ ^ ^ But getting someone to build them? No way would troy and I do that. It's already enough work to weld them on for fols, let a lone build them! But when you do get them, Troy and I can help you weld them on!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for the advice! Yea thats right Demello!

I definitly agree with the bigger is better concept for sliders. One thing about All Pro that scares me is their little disclaimer for X-cabs;
"*X-cab models require modification to bed mount and/or rear flip plate"
Im not even sure where my bed mount would be and how i feel about modifying it.

My neighbor has a 90 pickup that he personally made and welded sliders for his truck and Ive been thinking about asking him for help/advice...
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
In Rememberance

Hey go for it. Research and get advice. Since Troy welds a lot of sliders we have learned a lot of things.
1) Many don't fit right at 1st. (Even though the manufacturer says they will)
2) You MUST plate the frame (and the slider kits never come with plating) - See the "where to find steel thread" under our Links you should use in General discussions
3) When plating the frame you need to prep the frame and the plates and sliders for welding (Bare metal, no rust or paint)

What else gang?

Oh and if $$ isn't an issue look at Armorology in Colo Springs and Slee Off Road (All in that link thread)

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Haha yea I totally agree with pre manufactured kits. I didnt even think about plating the frame afterwords. Thank you in advance! I like the armorology design. I think ive seen some of the trucks that have been in their shop. But there are alot of nice looking toyotas out there! Might give them a call tomorrow
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
In Rememberance

Well first off you plate in advance..... and weld to the plating (I think). Also contact user Dot (send him a pm) he got the 1st set of Armorology sliders and they didn't fit right. (He has the same taco as you) Jed at Armorology is going to install them for him now for the cost of the extra materials, but talk to Dot (Jason) before you go with Armorology!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Ah haha I got some research to do! Ill send Jason a quick email. Thanks for all your guys' help already, you guys rock!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM
In Rememberance

AWWWWWEEE! *Blush*

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
I wouldn't recommended trail gear for anything personally.
Have you had a poor experience with them? I haven't had any experience with their trail armor, but I have given them over a grand in business, between about 10 different transactions. There was only 1 time they shipped me the wrong part, but told me to keep it (sell it if I wanted), and they shipped out the correct part immediately, free of charge. They also have lifetime warranties on several parts. So I would tend to say that I recommend them.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM

welcome

northerncoloradoautoparts.com
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, I'd say a lot of us would be willing & interested in building a set of sliders. At least, I know I would, or will? as soon as my truck is back on the road. Hell, in general, you'll all see more of me, and not just because I'm wearing a kilt .

x2 everything Molly said about kits not fitting right the first time. Like anything fabricated, they're close, and the difference between close and perfect is usually several hours with a grinder. The setup Ben has, maybe from CBI? is great, but took some time to sort out...including getting the brackets cleaned up. I could barely keep an arc lit on the brackets before they were stripped...they looked clean, but the rough surface was full of mill scale.

You have a new Tacoma...frame is similar to my Tundra. Far easier, I think, to simply use a piece of 6" x ??" x 1/4" strap down the rail, bolted strategically with backing plates, holes to clear rivets, and then just weld the slider to the strap. Should've done it on my truck, but we used individual plates instead of a complete strap...by the time all was said & done, there was little difference...maybe 12" long piece, total...between the plates and a strap.

-Sean

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

welcome. you another student at CU? there are a few of us in boulder if you want to meet up and talk trucks hit me up.

Quote:
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
ike
Veteran Member

welcome

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Have you had a poor experience with them? I haven't had any experience with their trail armor, but I have given them over a grand in business, between about 10 different transactions. There was only 1 time they shipped me the wrong part, but told me to keep it (sell it if I wanted), and they shipped out the correct part immediately, free of charge. They also have lifetime warranties on several parts. So I would tend to say that I recommend them.
most people bash for quality/made in china etc.

i have their sliders on my 05. i like em for the $$$. though, i haven't hit em too hard. just scrapes and no shock-loading em yet.

05 Taco
Icon/Camburg Mid-Travel Front. All-Pro Hybrid w/ Smitty 9.5k. TG/NF Sliders. Tom Woods D/S. BFG 35's. Front Glass. Icon AAL's. WE Monotube 500's. NF Fab Rear Bumper. All-Pro skids. NF Fab Diff Armour. 4.56.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 PM

ToyCrawlers makes a slider simular to what ORS used to make. Check out www.toycrawlers.com. We can build custom sliders for you or install whichever ones you decide on if you need help in that area.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyCrawlers View Post
ToyCrawlers makes a slider simular to what ORS used to make. Check out www.toycrawlers.com. We can build custom sliders for you or install whichever ones you decide on if you need help in that area.

I would also recomend these guys (Jacob) as well. They are in Broomfield!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Do some research on how trailgear was formed.

The owner of trailgear has worked for Marlin, All-pro, and I believe (but could be wrong) Inchworm as well. The full story can be found on Pirate.

Simply because of their wal-mart like business tactics I've now learned about, I will now never purchase anything from trail gear. I also will not buy anything from wal-mart for the same reasons.

Merely my
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM

jed at armorology is amazing with a welder and steel... (i just paid him $1250 for a bumper)
he does really great quality work and backs all of his stuff up.

he is a little slow (took him 3 weeks to build my bumper) but i personally think the quality is worth it....

just my experience
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
jed at armorology is amazing with a welder and steel... (i just paid him $1250 for a bumper)
he does really great quality work and backs all of his stuff up.

he is a little slow (took him 3 weeks to build my bumper) but i personally think the quality is worth it....

just my experience
This flows with what I've always heard. How long was the wait to get it in his shop?

I've never met this guy, but his reputation is outstanding. Beautiful design, outstanding quality, and a no apologies "I'm going to take my time and do it right" attitude. Gotta love it when any kind of business actually focuses on quality for a damn change.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 PM
In Rememberance

The only tough part is that you have to leave your vehicle with him for the time he takes to do it, but if you have an extra car or buddies to tow you for a month, go for it!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

haha thanks all, awesome info! Ill definitly take a look into toycrawlers, armorology and others over break. Yea I am currently a CVEN major at CU... see how long that lasts lol
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This flows with what I've always heard. How long was the wait to get it in his shop?

I've never met this guy, but his reputation is outstanding. Beautiful design, outstanding quality, and a no apologies "I'm going to take my time and do it right" attitude. Gotta love it when any kind of business actually focuses on quality for a damn change.
actually, he initially quoted me 3 months wait time. then he called me the next day and said that someone cancelled their appointment and he could squeeze me in if i brought my car in the next day..... so i did

initially it was supposed to take 2 weeks, but ended up being 3... which is fine with me because im happy with his quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
The only tough part is that you have to leave your vehicle with him for the time he takes to do it, but if you have an extra car or buddies to tow you for a month, go for it!
yup, thank god i have the same school schedule as my room-mate, so i just rode shotty with him for a few weeks. and work is within bicycle distance so that solved that.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO6Taco View Post
haha thanks all, awesome info! Ill definitly take a look into toycrawlers, armorology and others over break. Yea I am currently a CVEN major at CU... see how long that lasts lol
dude, im aero. well, was this sem. failed out big. im probably going civil next semester. should be easy after doing aero! Ill see you out there!

Quote:
Quote:
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
dude, im aero. well, was this sem. failed out big. im probably going civil next semester. should be easy after doing aero! Ill see you out there!
Yea dude used to be aero failed below the 3.0 line so now I'm just chillen in civil lol cya out there hopefully sooner than later
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
Welcome to the group! See you at the holiday party on 2 Jan? You can check out our sliders (so to speak) then.

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO6Taco View Post
Yea dude used to be aero failed below the 3.0 line so now I'm just chillen in civil lol cya out there hopefully sooner than later
I got accepted in as aero so I never had to get above a 3.0. but after busting my ass all sem and not passing classes I said fuck it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode