CO Springs/Pueblo - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

CO Springs/Pueblo

Hey I had put a post up in the National Forum but figured I'd knock another out here. I'm between the Springs and Pueblo, near the Pikes Peak Raceway. I have a 2001 Tacoma, the mods are in my signature. I am getting it ready for Colorado wheeling at the moment. It was an East Coast truck that I had bought from another forum member and drove back to CO. I think the frame might be tweaked a little so I'm having it checked next Monday. I still need to do the front air locker, shocks, wheels and tires.

Shaun

2001 Tacoma TRD Limited, lots of stuff

2003 4Runner SR5 V8 (wife's rig), Old Man Emu 886 front/895 rear, Shrockworks front bumper and sliders, Warn M8000, CBI rear bumper

2010 Tacoma Double Cab TRD daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

welcome. We are getting a run together this weekend down your way (eagle rock outside COS). Hope to see you on the trail.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith0480 View Post
Hey I had put a post up in the National Forum but figured I'd knock another out here. I'm between the Springs and Pueblo, near the Pikes Peak Raceway. I have a 2001 Tacoma, the mods are in my signature. I am getting it ready for Colorado wheeling at the moment. It was an East Coast truck that I had bought from another forum member and drove back to CO. I think the frame might be tweaked a little so I'm having it checked next Monday. I still need to do the front air locker, shocks, wheels and tires.
Any pics of the truck after you took it to Scotty's shop? You around during Labor Day weekend? I'll be wheeling Penrose on Sept 5th, you're welcome to join us.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Welcome to CoTTORA

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
Any pics of the truck after you took it to Scotty's shop? You around during Labor Day weekend? I'll be wheeling Penrose on Sept 5th, you're welcome to join us.
Hey Aaron. No man I don't have any pics after I got it back but after I find the camera charger (or maybe if I find it) I'll put them up. I gotta get some tires pretty bad, those Swampers are on thier last leg. I'm going with the 37x12.50-17 Goodyear Kevlar MTR's. The steering is still pretty bad on it, but I'm going to wait until I get new tires to pass judgement on it.

Shaun

2003 4Runner SR5 V8 (wife's rig), Old Man Emu 886 front/895 rear, Shrockworks front bumper and sliders, Warn M8000, CBI rear bumper

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey Aaron. No man I don't have any pics after I got it back but after I find the camera charger (or maybe if I find it) I'll put them up. I gotta get some tires pretty bad, those Swampers are on thier last leg. I'm going with the 37x12.50-17 Goodyear Kevlar MTR's. The steering is still pretty bad on it, but I'm going to wait until I get new tires to pass judgement on it.
If you're ever in Pueblo, call me. I'd like to see my 4Runner next to your Tacoma. You'll like the MTR's!

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're ever in Pueblo, call me. I'd like to see my 4Runner next to your Tacoma. You'll like the MTR's!
Yeah for sure. I'm pretty sure that the frame is slightly twisted on it. By measurement both leaf springs in the rear are positioned exactly the same, but the shackles are at different angles. The driver's side is at about a 45 degree angle, and on the passenger side the shackle is almost straight up and down. This makes it lean to the driver's side in the rear. Both the rears are brand new Trail Gear 4" springs.

Shaun

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok just got back from Tanner 4wd in the Springs, the front driver side spring is sagging so there is a 3" difference side to side. The frame also might be tweaked a little but once the front springs are swapped out should just be fine tuning the rear shackle hangers to get it sitting level.

Shaun

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I haven't heard much good spoken about Tanner in a long time... that place has turned into a used-car lot as far as I can tell. There used to be a bunch of built buggies around at any time but not anymore. It was on my way to work so I'd pass it every day in case anyone was wondering how long it's been since I've been around there.

Find the frame dimensions (maybe from a Toyota dealer?) and make a few measurements from point to point; sounds like the passenger side may be pushed up a bit? Or the springs are just funky and not broken in yet; I dunno.

$0.02
>>Dan

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
Welcome!!

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 AM

Howdy and Welcome!

'93 Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
But again if you get snarky I will kick some ass.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
I haven't heard much good spoken about Tanner in a long time... that place has turned into a used-car lot as far as I can tell. There used to be a bunch of built buggies around at any time but not anymore. It was on my way to work so I'd pass it every day in case anyone was wondering how long it's been since I've been around there.

Find the frame dimensions (maybe from a Toyota dealer?) and make a few measurements from point to point; sounds like the passenger side may be pushed up a bit? Or the springs are just funky and not broken in yet; I dunno.

$0.02
>>Dan

I've had pretty good experiences with them in the past. Yeah, I already have the frame dimensions from a stock truck, and mine is like 3" off. The main problems it has are that the knuckles were rotated in the wrong direction and the leaf spring hangers are not straight. When the wheels are turned it actually flexes the suspension and puts everything in a bind, twisting it. Shitty fabwork throughout the whole SAS. The truck has excellent components, but the installation was so badly done that it's going to have to be re-worked. It's hard to believe that a shop had done the SAS. It's ok though. Problem is going to be solved in about a month. Bye bye leaf springs.

Shaun

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Aaron, I had to get a new cell phone and none of the numbers are on this one, if you could PM me your number again I'd appreciate it.

Shaun

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chalkie
Little late posting in on this, but take anything Tanner says with a HUGE grain of salt. I have lived here since '91 and Tanner has never had a real good reputation. Predator is mainly Jeeps but they can, and do, work on others. I have had some good dealings with them over the years.

My opinion, for what it is worth, if you need some frame straightening, talk to Black & White Auto. They are not the cheapest around, but they do excellent work.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm not going to post on this thread anymore, but I will say this: Everything that is being done to my truck is to fix problems that I previously knew existed, or had a good idea existed and needed confirmation. I used to do all my own work in the past, nothing as big as a SAS, but I fixed all my own stuff and ain't afraid to get in there and get dirty. I would also like to think I have a decent enough mechanical knowledge to see if I'm getting bull-shitted by a shop.

I have recently been medically retired from the Army for injuries I sustained overseas, and I am physically disabled so I can't do a lot of work on my vehicles anymore (although I recently did install a lift, sliders, bumper, and winch on my wife's '03 4Runner).

The place I am having work on my truck may have had some negative comments from other people, but I have nothing but positive things to say about them based on previous experiences with them. They have done great work for me at very reasonable prices, and I will continue to go there when I am unable to do it myself. If I have a bad experience with them in the future I will be sure and let everyone know about it, but until then they have earned my trust and my business.

Thanks for the welcomes to the board and hopefully I see some of you on the trail.

Shaun

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

When does the truck go under the knife?

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Quote:
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
When does the truck go under the knife?
Haha you made me post on this one again! Tomorrow evening I drop her off. When it's done I'll cruise down your way.

Shaun

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The place I am having work on my truck may have had some negative comments from other people, but I have nothing but positive things to say about them based on previous experiences with them. They have done great work for me at very reasonable prices, and I will continue to go there when I am unable to do it myself. If I have a bad experience with them in the future I will be sure and let everyone know about it, but until then they have earned my trust and my business.
Ok, I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong. Tanner kind of did a shitty job on the 4-link. It's taller than I wanted and the coils are different spring rates from side to side. They do basic shit alright like lockers and shock relocation, but maybe not so good for links and coilovers.

Should have went to Rockware.

Shaun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode