Hello All! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Hello All!

Hello!

My name is Michael, and I have recently joined. I just wanted to send this letter out to introduce myself to the club. I am currently living in Littleton, Colorado with my wife Kim, and my son Layden. I have owned a few Toyota trucks, the most recent is the 2011 Tacoma that I purchased in the fall this year. I enjoy being outdoors and taking the family up to the mountains.

I also am looking at some add-ons. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them. I'm new to all this, so anything would help. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I look forward to meeting with all of you very soon.

This is the same post I put up on the TTORA Forum...

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Welcome, glad you found your way over here.

What types of modifications are you interested in?

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Welcome, glad you found your way over here.

What types of modifications are you interested in?
Thanks!

I'm thinking about that ARB bumper with the bulldog winch. I also want some sliders and a toytec lift. But like I said, I'm new to all of this. So I don't know where to go or who to talk to.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome. Sounds like you've done some homework and are the right track.

The toytec lifts are good choice if you're not looking for extreme or finely tuned performance. I'm not a huge fan of the ARB bumpers, but it's a cosmetic choice mostly. I don't know anything about the "bull dog" winch. Of course there's the Warn brand, which really can't be knocked. I also like the Super Winch brand (which is cheaper, but has pretty good performance).

As for sliders.. excellent idea. You really can't beat Trail Gear for the price. They tend to dent on really hard hits, but so do most round sliders and it's really no big deal. I personally stick with square tube sliders, but again.. really a choice of ascetics... Some tend to overthink sliders, but remember it comes down to a bar of steel to hit rather than your rocker panels. They really aren't more complicated than that other than how that bar is mounted to your frame and I've yet to see anything that says one option is better than another (bolt on vs. weld on).

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM

hi there. hope to meet on a trail run

I love my Boomer!

"Too bad that workout program does nothing for your face!"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Hello!

And thanks for the input. What would you recommend do frist? I'm thinking the left.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Welcome!

And far as the mods to your truck here are some suggestions per our former Chapter president:

Armor (sliders, skids, bumpers, in that order)
Gears/lockers
Tires when yours wear out
Lift (by the time you get here you should know if you'll need a SAS or LT IFS, etc)

However, if one is already familiar to the details of wheeling then you may not need to follow the above list, but it helped me get an idea of where to start.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
ike
Veteran Member

If you plan to wheel it sliders.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

What sliders would you recommend getting? I have been looking at few, and a lot of them look so cheap, and not worth it. Should I get the nice ones or just the cheap shit? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to do this right!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/..._taco_main.htm

These are a great bolt on option, overbuilt, can take abuse. They are bolt on. Slee sliders are only for the standard wheel base though. If you have the 4door long bed they are not enough protection. Also, they will not work on a standard cab.

They are local in Golden.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/..._taco_main.htm

These are a great bolt on option, overbuilt, can take abuse. They are bolt on. Slee sliders are only for the standard wheel base though. If you have the 4door long bed they are not enough protection. Also, they will not work on a standard cab.

They are local in Golden.
x2 on that.

I have Slee's on my '03 Taco and they have held up.

However, they are probably the most expensive pre-fabricated sliders out there. My opinion is you get what you pay for.

You might be able to find someone on this site who might be willing to make you a custom set and weld it on your truck, if you want to go that route.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Any slider on the market will work, some are just fancier than others. Your main concerns will be number of supporting legs. attachment style. material type and thinckness.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome Mike. I am thinking this is the Mike that works with Julie for the infamous George.

Since there are not a ton of guys on the Colorado board that run a 05+ truck I suggest you ask on the national forum (you may already have) about sliders. I have the Slee's on my DC and they by far have been the best purchase I made for the truck. IMO having run this truck off road I would do the build up in this order:

Sliders
skid Plates (get a full T Case Skid )
Lift if you plan to run 33" tires
Gears if you plan to run tires larger than 33"
Did you get a TRD with the rear locker? I would suggest Lockers while you are gearing.
Then bumpers, winches, lights and the other do dads.

I would highly suggest a high clearance rear bumper which is my next move for my truck. For the front you might check out a new design from CBI. It looks bad ass in IMO.

On lifts go with an adjustable coil over if you can afford it just because it gives you the ability to adjust the front as you load it down. In the rear go with a new set of leafs not an AAL. The AAL's just don't hold up and I am looking to get a new set of leaves right now.

Look forward to seeing you on the trail!

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
If you wanna do a body lift, do that before you add the sliders and bumpers, especially if those are to be welded on. Otherwise they won't match the body level...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Welcome Mike. I am thinking this is the Mike that works with Julie for the infamous George.
Indeed I am.

Thanks for the post. Yeah I have the TRD off road.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

I hate to bump in here all the way from Indiana but I'm looking at the Slee off-road website and I don't see any slider for anything prior to 05 (Tacoma). I have an 04 and am very interested, am I looking in the wrong area?

I totally need a good set of sliders and from what I've read in this post I really want to check these out.

Sorry for the interuption...

*edit* Wow, I totally said "totally"
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuod View Post
I hate to bump in here all the way from Indiana but I'm looking at the Slee off-road website and I don't see any slider for anything prior to 05 (Tacoma). I have an 04 and am very interested, am I looking in the wrong area?

I totally need a good set of sliders and from what I've read in this post I really want to check these out.

Sorry for the interuption...

*edit* Wow, I totally said "totally"
Interesting they use to have them. They were a combo of 3" square and round tubing. They had that first when I got my truck and then they developed the sliders for the newer trucks. But now there is no link. You might have to call them to see if they have them still.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Like said above, they atleast used to make them, colorado125 has a set on his truck.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode