Moving to Denver... have a couple questions. - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Moving to Denver... have a couple questions.

If possible i would really appreciate any advice or suggestions from anybody who can lend a moment.

I am currently in South Eastern Pennsylvania.. before that I lived in Southern California and before that I was in Phoenix.

I am moving to denver early 2013, I am a certified Lexus technician (started with Toyota) and I already have a job "in" @ Kuni Lexus (currently in Littleton but will soon be located @ I-25 and Belleview). I am moving on my own, well me and my hound, and I am 24 so moving is pretty easy for me. I am picking Denver because I am a powder hound (snowboarding) and have always traveled to the rockies for a fix every year.

I am going to look for an apartment to lease at first, most likely just gonna try and find a studio/1br in a decent complex. I need to find something clost to work so that I can run home for lunch to eat and cater to the hound, any reccomendations for good area around I-25/Belleview?

One other thing I am concerned about is my vehicle choice... I have my 00' TRD V6 Taco and love it very much but when it comes to getting up into the mountains at altitude it has always left something to be desired. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Tundra (05-06) but I would miss the off-road capability of my Taco. Do you notice a serious lack of power from your Tacoma's up in the rockies? I have also been considering throwing a S/C on it to make up for the lack of power. Once i get moved and settled in, I will purchase another vehicle as a daily driver, so the truck need only be for wheeling and getting me to the mountains during the winter.

Any other input anybody can shed for me regarding living in Denver and the Suburbs down near where the Lexus dealer is? I am told Denver is a very dog friendly area, which is a big thing for me since my hound is always with me if i can manage it. I do a lot of hiking in the spring/summer/fall.

Feel free to throw any advice you have at me

2000 Tacoma TRD SR5 4WD
15" Steelies & 33" Cooper ST's
Bilstein CO's & 5100's
4XInnovations Bumpers & Sliders
XRC8 Comp, 20lb CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM

First off congrats on moving to Colorado. It really is a lovely place to be. Sounds as thought you will be working kind of close to the Denver Tech Center (I-25/225 interchange) which is where I work. I actually live in Golden and commute everyday which has proven to be kind of a pain at times. If you are by yourself, I understand the need to be close to the pup for lunch time visits (I have a heeler myself). As far as dog friendly is concerned...I would say yes and no. I grew up in Oregon where I could walk outside my house and never put my dog on a leash. Even if I did, we had multiple areas where you could go with your dog that was off leash friendly. I have yet to find that out in Colorado as most of the trails and such that you would want to take your dog with are crowded by hikers or bikers that don't take too kindly to dogs off leash. Most of the guys here though seem to have success with taking their dog wheeling and having them run alongside.

Yes you will struggle getting your truck up I70 with a stock engine and bigger lift/tires. I have an 02 ex cab V6 5speed with 33's and about 2" over stock and I70 is not a breeze but most of it can be maintained in 4th gear without straining the truck. Also the further you get into the mountains, the slower the speed limit is usually. I've also taken my truck to pikes peak (14,000) and made it to the top just fine. Slow, but fine. As far as power is concerned I would truly only go with the S/C for help in the mountains, or find a different vehicle for getting there is you want to go fast. I've found that I really don't lack much in getting to my destinations and once I'm there, I'm always glad to have my Tacoma.

To sum it up, keep your truck, mod it, have fun, get a commuter car or better yet a motorcycle, and call it good.

02 Ex Cab V6 5 Speed...some stuff sitting on 33's

00 Suzuki SV650N
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM

Depends on how fast you need to go. I pulled a 14 foot hard camper loaded, wife, 2 dogs, and 2 kids to moab from morrison. I have 97 runner 3.4 no super charger automatic on 265 75 r16 with no issues. Keep the taco and if need be re-gear...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I live in the mountains just west of Denver, and drive down to Denver and back and all over the mountains all the time (skiing biking hiking camping wheeling etc). I have an 01 non TRD with a 4" DB lift running 295/75/16 with no S/C, a topper, loaded down with crap, 4X bumper, roof rack, 3.4 5 spd. So lots of weight and drag, on 4.10 gears. There are a few hills where it sucks, by which I mean I have to go into third to maintain 60-65 running 3500-4k RPM. And sometimes going into the wind or up a steeper hill or loaded down more it's closer to 50-55mph. Basically that's Mt. Vernon canyon going from Morrison to Gennesee, a quick bit of Floyd Hill, and a few places on the approach to the Eisenhower. Everywhere else it does just fine.

Now that you have that info, yes, sometimes I would like to have a faster truck. Of course then I would probably just get speeding tickets because as it is I can do 70-80 most everywhere. No, I would not trade the capability of the Tacoma on Colorado's usually smaller trails in for something bigger, especially if said rig was nicer and I was less inclined to beat on it. I think S/C would be the way to go; I've thought about it myself.

'01 Taco, DD, 33's, dented armor, squeaks, rattles
'80 Pickup, 35's, locked, armored, geared, lifted, and does ok when the hubs are locked in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Fair enough, thank ya' guys for the advice.

Any advice anyone can offer in regards to a good place to look for an apartment in the Denver area. I like the idea of being able to get downtown easily but still within a short drive of the I-25/ Belleview area. I have heard Denver has a decent light-rail that heads into the city?

My priority is being close to work.. at least for the first 6 months to a year until i learn the area a little bit.

I will be in Denver at the end of August to look around.

Again, thanks for the advice!!

2000 Tacoma TRD SR5 4WD
Bilstein CO's & 5100's
XRC8 Comp, 20lb CO2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Depending on what you really want, there's a lot of great housing along the light rail lines. Right around downtown is really hit-or-miss... Some hoods are great, others are not so much... I used to live a block from UCD, and both loved&hated the location.

I would go farther south than that. Littleton/Englewood is a pretty nice area, with close access to the light rail. DTC is also pretty nice, and you're very close to a lot of places of work (do you work downtown or in the DTC or...?)

The drive to the DTC can suck, so if you work down there it might be a good idea to get a place down there.

The father west you go, the closer you are to the mountains... but the farther you are from light rail. There's a new line going in out west, but I don't think that's supposed to be done until 2015...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I will most likely be working @ Kuni Lexus which is moving to I-25/ Belleview in February.

2000 Tacoma TRD SR5 4WD
Bilstein CO's & 5100's
XRC8 Comp, 20lb CO2
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

33's and stock gears are the problem, the other problem is driving in the mountains is fine if you don't lose momentum. That is hard because there's so many people on the roads that even if you could haul ass, you are usually cut off from doing so.

Here are some apts just north of where you will be working. My buddy used to live here, and I thought it was pretty nice:

www.parliamentapts.com‎

99 Tacoma, bug-shield, and air freshener. Rusty tailgate mod, oxidized paint mod, cracked windshield mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode