Just moved to Colorado! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Just moved to Colorado!

Hey there everyone! The girlfriend and I just moved to Denver from virginia. I'm happy to be here and looking forward to meeting some folks out here. I've got a 2012 double cab Tacoma. Pics to come soon! I love to fish, camp, and hit the trails. I've yet to check out what the mountains have to offer but I would love the opportunity to head out with some locals!

-Luke

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Welcome!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome, where in VA did you move from?

I am General Corrosion

Corrosion: - 97 4runner 2.7 (fat and slow) lost but not forgotten
Shorter Bus: - 98 taco 2.7 300k miles (fat, old and slow) lost but not forgotten
Short Round: - 97 single cab (2' of sheet metal) Now doing pizza delivery
Too nice: - 99 4runner 3.4 5spd ski/expo wagon

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

welcome, theres a good bit of members in the denver area as well as the springs area. we try to get together monthly but that doesnt always happen. Stop in at any local 4wd shop and check out the trail guides they sell, you will be suprised with the amount of trails within a close area to you.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolison View Post
Welcome, where in VA did you move from?
I moved from virginia beach. It's been my home town and my place of residency for my whole life. Decided to go back to school though and I couldn't think of a more interesting place to spend a few years then Colorado!

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpdmazda View Post
welcome, theres a good bit of members in the denver area as well as the springs area. we try to get together monthly but that doesnt always happen. Stop in at any local 4wd shop and check out the trail guides they sell, you will be suprised with the amount of trails within a close area to you.
Thanks for the tip! My rig is not all together trail worthy, at least not anything beyond an average unpaved trail. I would love to try though! If there's a meet up you could count me in. I'm looking forward to making friends out here.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdtaco View Post
Thanks for the tip! My rig is not all together trail worthy, at least not anything beyond an average unpaved trail. I would love to try though! If there's a meet up you could count me in. I'm looking forward to making friends out here.
the nice thing about the trail guides, is they rate the trails between green (easy) blue (moderate) and red (fully built rig) it also has mile markers, and is a nice size to carry along. or check out traildamage.com they have lots of good info about trails.

in my arsenal, i have a stock 97 runner and have run several of the green trails in the book and had 0 issues.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
I have a stock 97 4Runner and have run several of the green trails in the book and had 0 issues.
Jinx... now you'll pop a CV boot on Old Stage.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
the nice thing about the trail guides, is they rate the trails between green (easy) blue (moderate) and red (fully built rig) it also has mile markers, and is a nice size to carry along. or check out traildamage.com they have lots of good info about trails.

in my arsenal, i have a stock 97 runner and have run several of the green trails in the book and had 0 issues.
Oh good! This post should prove to the girlfriend that I won't just be going out and breaking my new daily driver. In time I'd like to own a weekend warrior red trail style rig but until then I hope to link up with some folks to tag along!

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh good! This post should prove to the girlfriend that I won't just be going out and breaking my new daily driver. In time I'd like to own a weekend warrior red trail style rig but until then I hope to link up with some folks to tag along!
im off tuesdays and wednesdays, and try to run an easy trail every week on one of my days off. depending on your work schedule, im sure we could link up and hit a trail. there is one that we did recently that is haldf way between the springs and denver, it was raining when we did it, so we wouldnt mind doing it again when its nicer out.
how long have you been in colorado? alot of the trails go up to a decent elevation, which can be not so fun at times when you are new to the elevation here. I have been here a little over 3 months from pennsylvania, and still am not fully aclimated, or at least it feels that way on some trails ha ha. not to scare you, just to prepare you.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
Jinx... now you'll pop a CV boot on Old Stage.
just wait til you get back, im gonna hide your lager on you and we will see whos laughing then.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
im off tuesdays and wednesdays, and try to run an easy trail every week on one of my days off. depending on your work schedule, im sure we could link up and hit a trail. there is one that we did recently that is haldf way between the springs and denver, it was raining when we did it, so we wouldnt mind doing it again when its nicer out.
how long have you been in colorado? alot of the trails go up to a decent elevation, which can be not so fun at times when you are new to the elevation here. I have been here a little over 3 months from pennsylvania, and still am not fully aclimated, or at least it feels that way on some trails ha ha. not to scare you, just to prepare you.
Sounds good man! I could use a break from my usual day to day schedule. I'm usually pretty available, although lately it seems like I've spent a great deal of my time filling out job applications. I got in to town at the start of August and I've been trying to lock down a decent job before the spring semester. So how about the altitude? I know I got a little winded my first few runs/bike rides. Do you get headaches higher on the trail? I'm not familiar with more severe symptoms apart from breathless runs and feeling the whiskey a bit quicker.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sounds good man! I could use a break from my usual day to day schedule. I'm usually pretty available, although lately it seems like I've spent a great deal of my time filling out job applications. I got in to town at the start of August and I've been trying to lock down a decent job before the spring semester. So how about the altitude? I know I got a little winded my first few runs/bike rides. Do you get headaches higher on the trail? I'm not familiar with more severe symptoms apart from breathless runs and feeling the whiskey a bit quicker.
i definately feel the whiskey much quicker. we try to hike as much as possible as well, and depending on how hard we push ourselves, i can tend to get a slight headache. same thing on some trails, i get a slight headache until we get a little lower. not sure what you are looking to do, but i work for best buy and they are hiring for the holiday season.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i definately feel the whiskey much quicker. we try to hike as much as possible as well, and depending on how hard we push ourselves, i can tend to get a slight headache. same thing on some trails, i get a slight headache until we get a little lower. not sure what you are looking to do, but i work for best buy and they are hiring for the holiday season.
I'll take a headache over a day in front of my laptop ha! I'll just try and keep hydrated and go for it. I am overdue for some adventure. I thought Denver would be a lot more outdoorsy then what ive seen. I haven't checked out Colorado Springs yet either. The uc campus there didn't have the curriculum I was looking to transfer to.

As far as best buy goes I'd be all over it if they'd have me. I know a lot about computers and gaming. I'm a college grad and my work history has been customer service but more recently I worked for Toyota back home. The job I was in had a real glass ceiling so I figured its time to get into school all over again.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
#1 cruiser

Welcome to cottora. Lots of info and people willing to help. Lets see if we cant put a denver meet&greet on the books. This month or start of next. We had stock runs going last year. I think a few have been run this year.

Felix is my Hero!
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'll take a headache over a day in front of my laptop ha! I'll just try and keep hydrated and go for it. I am overdue for some adventure. I thought Denver would be a lot more outdoorsy then what ive seen. I haven't checked out Colorado Springs yet either. The uc campus there didn't have the curriculum I was looking to transfer to.

As far as best buy goes I'd be all over it if they'd have me. I know a lot about computers and gaming. I'm a college grad and my work history has been customer service but more recently I worked for Toyota back home. The job I was in had a real glass ceiling so I figured its time to get into school all over again.
hydration is key, it def helps. there seems to be alot more stuff to do outdoors in the springs than denver, but i could be wrong. we have the garden of the gods, pikes peak, and tons of hiking trails down here.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
hydration is key, it def helps. there seems to be alot more stuff to do outdoors in the springs than denver, but i could be wrong. we have the garden of the gods, pikes peak, and tons of hiking trails down here.
Garden of the gods and pikes peak are two places I'd kill to visit. Its one of those things like so close yet so far. I bet once I nail down a job here ill be able to do a lot more. Denver is cool and it has lots of nice views but its a drive if you want to fish or even feel outdoorsy really. I love the beer selection here though. Every corner in Denver has a different brewery it seems. I only wish I could get yuengling here! But I'm preaching to the choir, since you are from Pennsylvania you probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Garden of the gods and pikes peak are two places I'd kill to visit. Its one of those things like so close yet so far. I bet once I nail down a job here ill be able to do a lot more. Denver is cool and it has lots of nice views but its a drive if you want to fish or even feel outdoorsy really. I love the beer selection here though. Every corner in Denver has a different brewery it seems. I only wish I could get yuengling here! But I'm preaching to the choir, since you are from Pennsylvania you probably know exactly what I'm talking about.
yes yuengling is hard to get out here, but wakkjob will be bringing back the equivialant of an 18 wheeler load of lager when he gets back from pennsylvania soon.

garden of the gods, and pike peak is roughly a 1.5 hour drive from denver. the garden is free, and pikes peak is a little under $30 per car load. pikes peak takes about an hour up and an hour down, and however much time you want to spend at the top, or you can buy a yearly, unlimited pass for $100.
if you get a chance to go into best buy and do an application, let me know who you talked to and their position and i will make a phone call and help you out. no promises obviously but ive been known to be convincing with management at work.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes yuengling is hard to get out here, but wakkjob will be bringing back the equivialant of an 18 wheeler load of lager when he gets back from pennsylvania soon.

garden of the gods, and pike peak is roughly a 1.5 hour drive from denver. the garden is free, and pikes peak is a little under $30 per car load. pikes peak takes about an hour up and an hour down, and however much time you want to spend at the top, or you can buy a yearly, unlimited pass for $100.
if you get a chance to go into best buy and do an application, let me know who you talked to and their position and i will make a phone call and help you out. no promises obviously but ive been known to be convincing with management at work.
Heck I'll buy some of that yuengling when he gets in!
I bet pikes peak is snowed in for the year am I right? At least at that altitude I'm sure I'd be packing a coat and some thermals. I don't mind the cold at all. If anything I just worry about what commuting in severe snow might be like. Back home if it snows 2 inches the whole city shuts down haha.

Oh and I applied to best buy online last night to the Colorado blvd location. It's the only Denver store that was looking for people. There was some postings for aurora which would be fine but it wants you to completely restart the process to submit to another location so it may take me a moment to get them straight. Any help would of course be appreciated!

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Heck I'll buy some of that yuengling when he gets in!
I bet pikes peak is snowed in for the year am I right? At least at that altitude I'm sure I'd be packing a coat and some thermals. I don't mind the cold at all. If anything I just worry about what commuting in severe snow might be like. Back home if it snows 2 inches the whole city shuts down haha.

Oh and I applied to best buy online last night to the Colorado blvd location. It's the only Denver store that was looking for people. There was some postings for aurora which would be fine but it wants you to completely restart the process to submit to another location so it may take me a moment to get them straight. Any help would of course be appreciated!
i dont think pikes peak is closed, theres very little snow on it right now from what i see daily on my way to work. The drivers out here are almost as bad, if not worse than the drivers back east. They LOOOOOVE the fast lane out here, state law means nothing when they "feel" they are going fast enough.

I have yet to experience a winter here, so i can only imagine what joys it will bring since alot of people have a hard enough time in the summer.

you should hopefully hear from someone at best buy soon, once you do let me know who you talk to and i will make some calls and emails for you.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i dont think pikes peak is closed, theres very little snow on it right now from what i see daily on my way to work. The drivers out here are almost as bad, if not worse than the drivers back east. They LOOOOOVE the fast lane out here, state law means nothing when they "feel" they are going fast enough.

I have yet to experience a winter here, so i can only imagine what joys it will bring since alot of people have a hard enough time in the summer.

you should hopefully hear from someone at best buy soon, once you do let me know who you talk to and i will make some calls and emails for you.
Great, then hopefully ill be able to make it up there before it the end of the season!
I do love the highway here for the most part everyone drives like they've got someplace to be. I very rarely see law enforcement patrolling over here. I've got a clean driving record but I definitely push it on the highway though. I've crossed Nebraska three times now and it's pretty easy to set the cruise at 90 through most of it without a problem ha (only when safe of course)

But yeah, if best buy does call you'll be the first to know! Would you recommend a follow up call to their management team or even dropping by the location? I know every business is different.

-Luke

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Great, then hopefully ill be able to make it up there before it the end of the season!
I do love the highway here for the most part everyone drives like they've got someplace to be. I very rarely see law enforcement patrolling over here. I've got a clean driving record but I definitely push it on the highway though. I've crossed Nebraska three times now and it's pretty easy to set the cruise at 90 through most of it without a problem ha (only when safe of course)

But yeah, if best buy does call you'll be the first to know! Would you recommend a follow up call to their management team or even dropping by the location? I know every business is different.

-Luke
it would never hurt to stop in and talk to management. there will most likely be a manager standing near the front door when you walk in. They do like to see initiative so why not stop in. then you can also see what the store is like, as well as the employees
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I moved from virginia beach. It's been my home town and my place of residency for my whole life. Decided to go back to school though and I couldn't think of a more interesting place to spend a few years then Colorado!
Ahh, I had friends in Newport News....now everyone I know lives in Fredvegas or Charlottesville.

Hit me up if you wanna get a beer sometime, I'm up in the NW side of Denver and have a small work area.

I am General Corrosion

Shorter Bus: - 98 taco 2.7 300k miles (fat, old and slow) lost but not forgotten
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
it would never hurt to stop in and talk to management. there will most likely be a manager standing near the front door when you walk in. They do like to see initiative so why not stop in. then you can also see what the store is like, as well as the employees
So I stopped in today. You were right, the manager was standing right at the door. I didn't get to catch his name but he was a young guy. He said they are definitely looking for some new people so that's a good sign. Store looked nice, same layout as the one back home. He said they would call very soon and if not then to call the store and follow up again.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahh, I had friends in Newport News....now everyone I know lives in Fredvegas or Charlottesville.

Hit me up if you wanna get a beer sometime, I'm up in the NW side of Denver and have a small work area.
Awesome! That sounds great man! I love Charlottesville. What kind are beer do you like? I'm into dark brews. It's a good timeout year for stouts and porters.

So what line of work are you in up there?

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Awesome! That sounds great man! I love Charlottesville. What kind are beer do you like? I'm into dark brews. It's a good timeout year for stouts and porters.

So what line of work are you in up there?
I'll drink anything but the beast..... Top choice is ipa's

Had a Rocky Mountain oyster stout and a graham cracker porter last night. Now of up to foco for new Belgium tour.

I'm an environmental engineer, drive around a lot and look at dirt......

I am General Corrosion

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll drink anything but the beast..... Top choice is ipa's

Had a Rocky Mountain oyster stout and a graham cracker porter last night. Now of up to foco for new Belgium tour.

I'm an environmental engineer, drive around a lot and look at dirt......
That's cool man, does that Rocky Mountain oyster stout have in it what I think it does? Haha I've had a regular oyster stout back home but never a Rocky Mountain oyster stout.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's cool man, does that Rocky Mountain oyster stout have in it what I think it does? Haha I've had a regular oyster stout back home but never a Rocky Mountain oyster stout.
It has a slight balls after taste

I am General Corrosion

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It has a slight balls after taste
Hahaha I thought you might say something like that.

'99 Tacoma TRD
U.S.A.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Awesome! That sounds great man! I love Charlottesville. What kind are beer do you like? I'm into dark brews. It's a good timeout year for stouts and porters. So what line of work are you in up there?
Welcome to Colorado! You chose a fine state if you love beer.

If you're into stouts and porters, make sure you check out Great Divide Brewing Company, Wynkoop, and Breckenridge Brewery. All are in the same area (around Coors Field) and offer some great selections for porters, stouts, and scottish ales.

And if you're just looking for a ridiculous selection of beer, make sure to check out Falling Rock Tap House. It's also in the same area as the rest, with beers from all over the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode