New Member in Fort Collins! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

New Member in Fort Collins!

Well I will be picking this 4Runner up next week. It is a little rough but I got her down to $3400 for it. She didn't state in the add that it had an E-locker which was a huge surprise to me.

Cons: There seems to be some hesitation taking off from a stop when the engine is cold. After I drove it a couple blocks it went away. The engine temperature gauge sits at the normal spot when stopped but once you go it drops down to cold and starts bouncing around(send unit maybe?). The wheels are pitted pretty bad, but the from looked pretty good.

Well I will be picking this 4Runner up next week. It is a little rough but I got her down to $3400 for it. She didn't state in the add that it had an E-locker which was a huge surprise to me.

Cons: There seems to be some hesitation taking off from a stop when the engine is cold. After I drove it a couple blocks it went away. The engine temperature gauge sits at the normal spot when stop but once you go it drops down to cold and starts bouncing around(send unit maybe?). The wheels are pitted pretty bad, but the from looked pretty good.

1996 Toyota 4Runner - Limited Sport Utility 4D
212,000 miles
Regular maintenance - at JK's feel free to contact with questions.
New front brakes - November 2013
New battery - November 2014
Complete Timing Belt Assembly/kit, Starter Assembly, Thermostat, Timing belt tension adjuster - February 2015

1996 T4R Limited: Stock l E-Locked
2001 Camry: Stock l DD
1987 T4R: Stock l 31x10.50 Interco Trxus *sold*
1988 Toyota P/U 4X4 Extended Cab: BJ lift l 2" Leaves. *sold*
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee(ZJ): Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex l 32" BFG M/T's l Trail Ready Rear Bumper l No Sway-bars *sold*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM
#1 cruiser

Well the pics look good. What are the plans for it?

Felix is my Hero!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
Well the pics look good. What are the plans for it?
Not sure if I am going to start with armor and go up a tire size(265/75?) Goodyear Duratracks and wheel it like that for awhile. Or start with a Sonoran System 1.2 Lift and go from there.

Basically it is going to be a camping/weekend warrior rig. Just not sure where I am going to start with it. Looking forward to exploring Colorado since I just moved here.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee(ZJ): Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex l 32" BFG M/T's l Trail Ready Rear Bumper l No Sway-bars *sold*

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 PM
#1 cruiser

Armor goes along way getting places. A lift helps you get to places too but not protected. Go armor first.

Felix is my Hero!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Armor goes along way getting places. A lift helps you get to places too but not protected. Go armor first.
I am thinking that is plan. Once I move to bumpers I will probably get a lift to off-set the sag created by it. First up is a full tune up though. The tires on it are ok for now so I can wait a bit on new tires, but the rims are probably gonna be going soon.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:49 AM
#1 cruiser

What kinda rims are you going to? Going up a size as well or staying with 16s?

Felix is my Hero!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I really want to go with the TRD FJ Cruiser wheels. They are still 16" rims, and they should still work with the Tundra brakes once I get to upgrading to that. Since they are a little costly I am thinking of trying to plasti-dip these rims for the time being.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:25 PM
#1 cruiser

I hear a lot of people trying plasti dip. I don't know a whole lot about it. Ill be interested in seeing how they turn out. Those TRD rims are nice.

Felix is my Hero!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I hear a lot of people trying plasti dip. I don't know a whole lot about it. Ill be interested in seeing how they turn out. Those TRD rims are nice.
I am going to try it out on my emblems first and see how it turns out. Wheels will be a little bit tricky so we will see. A lot of people swear by it, I personally haven't used it yet.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is how they look on a 3rd Gen

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 AM
#1 cruiser

Well it looks good. Post up how it goes. What bumpers are you thinking?

Felix is my Hero!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well it looks good. Post up how it goes. What bumpers are you thinking?
CBI rear for sure. Haven't really settled on a front one. None of the Front Bumpers really jump at me yet. I'm sure I'll be researching some more soon. I'll start a build thread as soon as I pick it up this week.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Since you're in that area, check out RCI Metalworks. They make stuff for newer rigs like yours.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/aboutus.sc

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner87 View Post
Not sure if I am going to start with armor and go up a tire size(265/75?) Goodyear Duratracks and wheel it like that for awhile. Or start with a Sonoran System 1.2 Lift and go from there.

Basically it is going to be a camping/weekend warrior rig. Just not sure where I am going to start with it. Looking forward to exploring Colorado since I just moved here.
I know a lot of people complain about the sidewall strength of the Duratracks. Seems like everybody is always ripping them open.

Quote:
x2! Sliders are particularly important so you won't smash your rockers in. Also great for preventing door dings in parking lots

Quote:
Where I come from, we call it plasti-derp

I've derped my fender flares and also my spare wheel for fun. So if I ever get a flat I'm going to have one black wheel haha. It's good to use since it's temporary and you can easily peel it off.

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
Since you're in that area, check out RCI Metalworks. They make stuff for newer rigs like yours.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/aboutus.sc
Looks like they don't make anything for the 3rd Gen but I will check them out. Maybe they will be able to work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I know a lot of people complain about the sidewall strength of the Duratracks. Seems like everybody is always ripping them open.

x2! Sliders are particularly important so you won't smash your rockers in. Also great for preventing door dings in parking lots

Where I come from, we call it plasti-derp

I've derped my fender flares and also my spare wheel for fun. So if I ever get a flat I'm going to have one black wheel haha. It's good to use since it's temporary and you can easily peel it off.
I have heard the same thing about the Duratracks, but I have also heard that if you get the Load Range E ones they tend to be tougher. It would either be Duratracks or BFG M/T's. The Duratracks might be better for me since they are siped and work better in the snow. For $40 I can get a Plasti-dip tire "kit" to cover up the pitted wheels while I save for the rims I want. Cheap and convenient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode