Mosquito Range Trip 08/09/08 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Mosquito Range Trip 08/09/08

What a great trip!

We had a group of 5 for the day. Post up if you went, because I honestly don't know which screen names.... Oh and post up your pics, if you have them, too.

We started up Mosquito Pass, looking at a heavy overcast up high. Made it to the top, just over 13,000 feet, in a little under an hour. From there, we turned around and went down a little ways into the valley to explore the remenants of the upper London Mine, and tram system. Turns out we have a few rock collectors in the group...

After a good amount of BSing, rock collecting, and speculating about the mining equipment, we crawled back out of the valley to the pass again. From there, we said goodbye to our 4th gen Tacoma friends, who went to Leadville.....not sure where they went from there. That left 2 1st gens, and a 3rd gen going to Wheeler Lake.

We stopped in Alma for a bite to eat. We didn't go to "Alma's Only Bar", but 2 doors down to the bar that honestly just has better food...

The clouds still looked threatening, but we continued on to Wheeler Lake. Although, I may have been a bit more perceptive to this, without doors.

The first obstacle went well. I took an "interesting" line that earned "props" from a Jeeper. The other 2 took the standard line without issues. At the next obstacle, I took another slightly different line again, which may or may not have been easier than the standard "v-notch" Kevin without lockers, and Ben without sliders ended up taking the bypass. No shame in that, though. I didn't blame 'em.

We continued through a few water crossings in the valley, and found a couple sneaky diff, and skid plate hangers in the water. From there we climbed "bowling ball hill", which is that much more exciting, when you find the biggest rock you can on the side of the hill and roll over it, without loosing your uphill momentum... Shortly afterwards, we were at the lake. Beautiful scenery, that made every bit of the drive worth it. After some photo ops, we headed back down, where we met the Rising Sun crew...very up-close and personal...as we passed eachother leaning in to the center of the trail with our roofs no more than a foot or so apart. Then we saw Mythica in his kickass full width black Taco at the v-notch, where he helped spot me down another "interesting" line, that had just become slick with the start of some rain. Got some much needed pucker factor, to finish out the day.

Overall, we got through everything with no problems, and no carnage. While I had planned a little trail from my "secret stash" (Don't worry, legal USFS route) back to the cabin, I was a little too cold from the rain. We took the easy way back to the cabin, so Kevin and Ben could air up....in the rain.... From there we parted ways....

Like I said: GREAT TRIP. Probably one of my favorite this year. Thanks for coming, guys!

Will have pics in a moment.

Last edited by Quick Draw; 08-11-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:05 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Sorry we missed you. My kid sister came into toen (last minute ) Katie.. NOT travelinjules... AMd plus Ron needs some love before we do anything with him. But sic pics guys!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Looks like a great trip. Start of that bumper looks promising.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah man! Sorry i was so late, like i said my uncle's truck broke on the way to my house so we spent most of the day fixing it.

I am glad i got to meet up with you three, its nice to put a face and name to the PC screen.

I really wish i had my camera when you were coming down that last obsticle. Your truck looked sweet! It was stretched everyway it could stretch and then some!

I could tell you had a little pucker factor in there, but you totally made it look easy! That last little drop made it look much harder than it was. Good driving man, i was hoping the other two were going to take that line as well.

Like i said, it was good to meet up with you all, we need to get out again a few more time this year.

Did you get your spring retainer back on?

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah, it was great to meet you, and see your badass rig! Oh and that was top notch spotting on some slippery rocks, so I appreciate it! How did your wheeler run go? I assume it wasn't much of a challenge in that beast of yours...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

It was great! i love that trail! I could run it a thousand times and enjoy every min of it

i have run that trail stock, lifted ifs, and now swapped and i will run it again!

Dude Youre welcome! I will spot for you any time, that is half the fun of wheeling. However, not ever meeting you before you sounded like you had made that decsend before. I just jumped down there to give you a set of eyes from below.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Hey Kyle,
It was nice meeting and wheeling with you on Saturday. I attached a few pics. Not too many wheeling since we were kind of just moving. (hopefully links work-since I am newbie). Great scenery. It was awesome seeing the solid axle toyota as well. That truck is amazing. Too bad we didnt see it until the end of the day. Thanks again for lunch as well. Hopefully we will get together again. My rear main seal decided to start puking when I got home. I will be replacing this Weds. The fun never stops. Take care,

Kevin

[

[IMG]http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l407/kmk4443557/Wheeler%20Lake/WheelerLakeMosqutoPass-Augu

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Great pics! Thanks for posting up!

That's a shame about the rear main... Let me know if you need a hand pulling the tranny, and I might be able to swing by, depending on my schedule... I pulled mine a couple months ago for a clutch, so its still kinda fresh in my mind.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

SQUISH
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Nice! Oh and GREAT pic of the dog on the top of the pass! haha...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mgoose82
sorry i didn't make it man, the closer it got to my wedding, the crazier everything got

once a soldier, always a soldier

2001 ext cab taco
custom front bumper w/ reciever, double tube rear bumper, nerf bars turned into sliders, double tube roll bar, american racing wheels (prototypes), 285/75r Pro comp X-Terrains, 3" body lift, custom 5" rear lift, custom skids

to do: front spacers for this summer, collect parts for SAS
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Hey Kyle,
Thanks for offering to help. I work in the service dept at Flatirons Acura. I am able to use the lifts at work and have some tools from wrenching in the past. I have Weds off and will go to work to pull the tranny. I do appreciate the offer. That is why this club is so great. I do think I will be ok though. I already owe you for lunch. Can't let you get to many IOU's. Let me know if you need help with anything in the future and I would be glad.

Kevin
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Kyle,
Thanks for leading the way. I very much enjoyed the Pass and the side road afterwards. Us new-gen Taco's had lunch in Leadville at Doc Holliday's (good burgers) and then returned over Weston Pass.
I have a few pictures from the day here: MosquitoPass08
BTW, I finally broke down and had Predator 4WD weld on my sliders! Next time I will be joining you on at Wheeler Lake.
--Marty

'05 A-Cab, TRD Off-Road w/ Tow, ARB Bull Bar, Demello sliders
Donahoe COs, Yoko Geolandar A/T-S 285/75R16s on Wheelers (16x8 Type B)
ExtremeAire Jr OBA, Garmin Colorado, Panasonic CQ-C7413U, TRC503 CB w/ 9' whip.

TTORA Fan.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
Awesome pictures of an awesome run!

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Symon623 Send a message via MSN to Symon623 Send a message via Yahoo to Symon623
Great pics... looks like a good time...... thanks

Sy
85 Syota, 6.0/700r4/203/300/60's/Detroits/37 PBRR's/§XX§
02 Cummins tow rig, a few goodies
High Country Renegades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode