Yankee Hill: 1/17/09 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yankee Hill: 1/17/09

Had a great time today! Nice meeting everyone, and can't wait to do it again. We also got some video footage I'll try and get up here soon.

Couple of 180's done on this hill.....sketchy to even watch lol.

The perfect day for weather, awsome views too!

The only time i needed a tug the whole day.

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Dude record picture posting time. You're hired! And I didn't realize what a cluster you guys had to go through down by the jeep. Or how aired down Nate's tires were. LMAO!

Did you guys find some air in Idaho springs?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sure did! I went to the Shell and the guy wouldn't make change. So i went to the station behind it and he had free air anyways. Now that i think about it, i think that was the "second station" they were talking about with free air up on the trail. I even stopped on the way home and sprayed out my undercarrage and ran it through a car wash I don't waste anytime!

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Great Shots Ben!! Nice to meet you today. I will get mine up tomorrow as we haven't even had dinner yet.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
Sure did! I went to the Shell and the guy wouldn't make change. So i went to the station behind it and he had free air anyways. Now that i think about it, i think that was the "second station" they were talking about with free air up on the trail. I even stopped on the way home and sprayed out my undercarrage and ran it through a car wash I don't waste anytime!
Dude you have got to slow down and have a beer. That has to be some sort of record between making a mess of your truck and cleaning it.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Dude you have got to slow down and have a beer. That has to be some sort of record between making a mess of your truck and cleaning it.
You've never met Jeremy (Spindleshanks) have you?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Nice photo's.

You Colorado guys/gals sure get out alot.

2000 Toyota 4runner - Totaled

2002 Toyota 4runner - a work in progress.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Nice pics! What a cluster.... Who is the SAS Taco? ...and why is his bumper falling off?

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Had a fun time today guys, thanks Brian for setting this up!

Hope to get out again soon. We'll see what my next paycheck will allow for, hah.

I only got 8 or 9 pics before the battery in my camera freaked out and went from full, to dead. So i'll get those up here probably tomorrow or something.

Looking forward to some vids, i know there are a few good ones floating around.

Also, kyle. A cluster?

Hardly, compared to Rollins. Today was great, we made progress, we played in GOOD snow that didnt just suck you in up to your frame and leave you SOL.

All around, a great day of snow bashing.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Fun run everyone, we were able to travel a long distance over snow. Very little malfunctions. No major stucks for the day. I hope everyone had a good time.
failures:
1. Nate's e-locker motor was inop, could be a ground issue
2. Sean's chains didn't fit right and took too long to install
3. Justin had a major tire failure that was repaired with plugs in the sidewall
4. Troy about 30seconds later hit the same rock with worse sidewall damage
5. Nate's e-locker again (didn't have full engagement)

I ended up bringing up the rear to try to space out the winches. It was fun back there encase you didn't get the chance to join us . I had a hard time running behind Sean after the trenches he cut when he was stuck.

I still have no clue how we found those keys. Buried in the snow, we were digging around and just about given up. I was dragging my feet and somehow kicked them to the surface. Lucky find for the day I guess.

The snow was changing fast as the sun went down. Our trip back was slowed by the Ford and Land Cruiser getting stuck in front of us. They were digging up the trail so bad, it was getting very soft.

I know I'd like to have newer tires for the next trip I take for better traction and so I don't have to use the chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Who is the SAS Taco? ...and why is his bumper falling off?
That is a guy I work with, Lars. 97 4cyl, LC80 e-locked front axle SAS, Marlin duals. A sweet TJM front bumper that when you push against a rock it does that, you just best to leave it that way till you can get a real bumper. He is waiting on removing the body lift before he builds a new bumper, should be this spring now that he has a DD.
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
I really wanted to go on this trip. We'll have to set up another one soon
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Talking

MMM Beer! I wanted a Hefeweizen so bad after that run. Had to wait till after Costco and we got home..

Here are some pics! All of them live here: http://cottora.shutterfly.com/ (First Album)

"Stupid freaking rear locker" - Nate

"Stupid Freaking Economy" - All of us

"Stupid Freaking Attack Rock!" -TC and Justin

"Stupid Freaking Snow Bank!" -Nate

"Yeah that snow bank is pretty dumb.... A great place to lose your keys though " - Molly

"Stupid Freaking Winch job...." -Molly Troy and Ike

"Sweet ass winch setup though!" - Everyone

"Stupid freaking wet shoes...." -Nate

"Awesome time wheeling though!" - Layla

When folks post up more pics (or links to pics) I will start on an official "Not Fit For Public Consumption" -TM Video...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

I think im also going to work on hard-mounting my air-compressor under my hood this week. So it wont ever get forgotten again

It'll have to do with just the compressor, until i get around to buying a tank/fittings/etc. for full on-board.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
In Rememberance

It's all good I hope... It was awesome that Scott (JadeRunner) Hooked you up though!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

so how many of the vehicles used tire chains?

2006 Tacoma TRD Sport Dbl Cab Long Bed
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 G/Y DuraTrac, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio.

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Also, kyle. A cluster?

Hardly, compared to Rollins. Today was great, we made progress, we played in GOOD snow that didnt just suck you in up to your frame and leave you SOL.

X2. It was hella better than Rollins....

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
so how many of the vehicles used tire chains?
2, and with the type of snow it was, i think the chains hindered more than they helped.

I skipped chains and just ran @ 2.5psi R / 3.5psi F

as seen here:

Im still amazed the tires held together without issues.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Doh! Looks like an awesome run. Sorry I missed it...Ill be there for the next one.

Sucka: how did your elocker work out? so you had it all along?

05 Taco
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Also, kyle. A cluster?

All around, a great day of snow bashing.
That was more of a reference to the big group.....Didn't really mean "clusterfuck" like rollins.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
2, and with the type of snow it was, i think the chains hindered more than they helped.

I skipped chains and just ran @ 2.5psi R / 3.5psi F
...so chains weren't needed after all? How much tugging and winching was there going on?

...and to think, I just ordered some chains, coming next week.

3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 G/Y DuraTrac, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio.

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

hardly any major tugging/winching, alot of the pulling we did was just slow pulls without jerking the strap to get trucks to break free. Everything moved along pretty smooth for how big the group was.

It was an awesome day.
post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Glad it was a good day!

I thought it would be a winch-fest w/o the recommended chains; especially after seeing the run on New Years.

...guess I lost out on a good one...

were there any trucks up there today with limited-slip diffs?

post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Fatty_b was, he seemed to do very well in the snow. I wasnt up with the part of the group he was in the whole time, but i dont think he ever got strapped out of anything. Drove smart and the limited slip helped him a fair amount i believe.
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

A whole different wheeling experience today, compared to Rollins Pass. Weather was awesome, no wind and everyone got to play! Nate, didn't realize you were running pressures that low. Good thing you didn't break a bead or two.

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think im also going to work on hard-mounting my air-compressor under my hood this week. So it wont ever get forgotten again

It'll have to do with just the compressor, until i get around to buying a tank/fittings/etc. for full on-board.
Nate how much volume does your compessor produce? I was airing up for almost an hour with the Quick Air One I have mounted under the hood. I am thinking of getting something with more volume or going with a tank because it took forever last night. I even quit around 28 pounds and went down to the gas station on HW6 to finish. Just something to think about while you are mounting.

Awesome time except were I lost my keys. Thanks Brian I am glad you had the luck.

post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
MMM Beer! I wanted a Hefeweizen so bad after that run. Had to wait till after Costco and we got home..

Here are some pics! All of them live here: http://cottora.shutterfly.com/ (First Album)

This pic is classic as it show the gleam of how clean Ben's truck was before the run and based on his post it was cleaner before he got home.

post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds and looks like a good run. Great weather too. It looks like enough snow to make it fun without being stuck every ten feet.

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

So troy toasted a sidewall? Ugh. That is no fun.
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer View Post
Doh! Looks like an awesome run. Sorry I missed it...Ill be there for the next one.

Sucka: how did your elocker work out? so you had it all along?
It was an AWSOME run, wish you could have made it. Locker worked great! It helped out tremendously today, Sean and Matt both did very well without lockers, but ended up getting bogged down a few times and having to take another run where locked i didn't need to. It wasn't a "must have" for the day, but extremely nice to have.

And it wasn't a winch/tug fest at all. There were a few spots actually coming down the hill believe it or not that gave us problems, the snow was just so torn up by that point. The Jeep that was left up there from a few weeks back also gave some of us problems as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
This pic is classic as it show the gleam of how clean Ben's truck was before the run and based on his post it was cleaner before he got home.
LOL and my truck looked just the same by 6pm last night!

post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
ike
Veteran Member

The front group moved along very well with no major winching/strapping.

I need to get out there and pull my rear end apart now though

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode