Sat May 3rd Jeep TJ Rescue on Left Hand - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Cool Sat May 3rd Jeep TJ Rescue on Left Hand

Wow what a rainy slick mess of a night. We rescued the TJ as well as a Jimmy that we ran across.

Here is Ben's take on the rescue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
I guess someone in a TJ broke down up on top of LHC, i'm not sure of the exact name of the location because that was my first time up there. They were from Colorado4x4 i believe.

We were wrenching over at the HOW N when Troy and Molly got a call from one of their friends to go help out. I followed Troy out in my truck along with Leyton and Scott to offer a hand for what we thought was just pushing his truck or getting someone off the mountain. We (at least my truck) had no idea where they were, or what kind of situation it was stuck in.

When we got there it was a little drizzly and muddy, but not to bad. We proceeded up the hill and then it really started to rain. It wasn't bad going up until we ran into a stock Jimmy on blad tires who was about to back off the hill side. We all got out and hiked up to them to see what was up. His truck was making some god awful noises (blown tcase/tranny?). Pete got him winched back to where he was pointing straight up where i think Molly suggested he park off to the side in a safe spot and try and recover it the following day due to the weather.

As he was trying to make it up the last hill he got stuck again because i believe he lost all power to front and rear drivetrain. So again Pete winched him back to straight. At this point it was raining pretty good and that clay was slicker than ice. The kid in the Jimmy and his friends/girlfriend had looks of terror on their faces. At this point i had turned my truck around and worked my way down. I've done mud but never on a hillside like that. It was super sketchy coming down 2 of the switchbacks because you could not get any traction what-so-ever.

So i got down to the bottom and stuck around in case anyone needed a ride out of LHC. The Jimmy eventually did make it down, you could see the look of relief on his face to just be off the hill.

From here i don't know the rest of the story, but Pete took the lead with the TJ in the middle and Troy strapped to the rear (wow that sounds bad when you type it out.....lol). They got him down to where i was, which was at a nice safe flat spot.

I was completely not geared up to be out there. I was in a sweatshirt which was soaking wet by this point. I didn't have my glasses which i really need to drive at night so i opted to take off and drop Scott back off at the HOW N.

But that's pretty much the jist of it. Snowball effect rescue under not so ideal conditions. We didn't even get started till 5pm and the brunt of the rain was falling during the sketchy part of the resuce (coming down the hill). It wouldn't have been bad at all had it not been raining, that just added to the difficulty but those guys got him down safely.

The Jimmy crew was in deep trouble, without that crew i have a feeling he either would have rolled down the hill, or just abandoned his vehicle where we had found him because he wasn't moving at all.

I'm pretty sure Molly documented the whole thing, or maybe not because she was doing a lot of spotting.....and falling

All in all they all did great. Grabbed food, water, jackets, you name it. They came prepared. I on the other hand was not geared up to be out there in that weather. I took a nice long shower last night and was still freezing
Here is the thread on Colorado4x4 of the TJ that is stuck. He is user 01TJSport http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=147556

While Troy and Pete (GPP33) were up top getting the TJ, I ended up talking the Jimmy down through the last 2 switch backs. Poor kid he was FREAKED out.

Troy and Pete at the bottom of the hill (above 5 points) starting the rescue

The Jimmy we ran across, which we nic-named "the fool"

We had a hell of a time getting the jimmy straight because of driver inexperience and how slick it was, not to mention his bald tires. His truck is gonna be totaled with the transmission damage it must have.

The other Jeep that came to help (user ni0h on Colo4x4)

ni0h getting the TJ strapped up.

Troy (TC's) heavy ass was the breaks for the TJ all the way down the slick-ass switch-backs.

It was super wet at this point on the way down...

ni0h parting out his jeep to help another?

Pete (GPP33) and I near the 5 points as we tried to get the TJ running. No dice. (PS I was covered head to toe in mud from spotting and slipping. I think my carharts are going to be permanently embedded with Colorado clay! At this point I had stripped down to my long johns...)

Because we couldn't get the TJ started we ended up doing the strap chain all the way to the bottom. Pete was in front, the TJ in the middle and Troy was in the back.

The switchbacks coming down left hand:

They are all linked together in these pics...

Once we got the bottom, Pete strapped the TJ to the Green-Briar so he could get cell service to call AAA. We were all soaking wet and I lived up to my nic-name (pig pen) Pete, Layton, Troy and I decided to drag our wet cold selves into the Pump House for some brews to celebrate a successful rescue!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
WOW! Another nearly impossible mission pulled off by the COTTORA team. Kudos to you all for enduring the conditions to help out. Your experience and clear thinking made the difference in success over disaster.

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Nice pics Molly. And kudos to you guys for getting those guys down the mountain. I'm obviously not a recovery vehicle but was happy to at least be there to give someone a ride if they needed it. I was planning on an afternoon in your garage then heading home so i must have looked like an idot out there with my prescription sun glasses at night and a soaking wet sweatshirt in the rain......lol

I was impressed with how quickly you and Troy mobilized and how prepared you guys were.

One thing "the fool" did correctly is he did say he had camping gear in his vehicle. But that guy wasn't going ANYWHERE had not been for the Jeep guys and you getting him down. That Colorado clay was the slickest shit i've ever encountered, and it went from decent conditions to insane in a matter of 15 minutes. When we first encountered that Jimmy i was at least able to walk around the trail, 10 minutes later i could barely even keep my own 2 feet on the ground!

Again nice job to everyone who got them down safely.

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Well I gotta hand it to you Ben(Sucka) and Scott (TacoBlanca) for jumping in there to help. I know it was kinda crazy and whirl-wind, but you never know how many hands you'll need on a rescue. It was good to have you there.

Now you have an idea of what to have packed in your rig in case a rescue comes up again

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to be there and help out. It could have been a disaster for "the fool". Good job though, in guiding him down those switchbacks. Pete and Troy did a great job strapped up to that jeep front and back to get him down safely.

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

I kinda feel bad about bailing.. I was only going to stay till about 1. I had a shit ton of things to do around the house. Still haven't quite gotten Jr.'s cab bolted down to get it out of the garage this weekend like I hoped. Looks like a few evenings in the garage after work are in order.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Did you catch the guy in the Jimmy's name? From the pics it looks like a friend of mine from Bicycle Village named Eric.

Anyway, great work guys. Glad you could help out some fellow wheelers and rep TTORA

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

The guy who was driving was named Darrell, but I don't think it was his rig.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

looks like i missed some serious fun out there in LHC. but i got my CPR recertified

05 Taco
Icon/Camburg Mid-Travel Front. All-Pro Hybrid w/ Smitty 9.5k. TG/NF Sliders. Tom Woods D/S. BFG 35's. Front Glass. Icon AAL's. WE Monotube 500's. NF Fab Rear Bumper. All-Pro skids. NF Fab Diff Armour. 4.56.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Dan - don't forget to check your ubolts and make sure they're TIGHT after driving some since installing them.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Dan - don't forget to check your ubolts and make sure they're TIGHT after driving some since installing them.
thank you. I will do that. 110 lbs right? it might be a little more difficult on the old school torque wrench i have here, but i will make sure to check it

05 Taco
Icon/Camburg Mid-Travel Front. All-Pro Hybrid w/ Smitty 9.5k. TG/NF Sliders. Tom Woods D/S. BFG 35's. Front Glass. Icon AAL's. WE Monotube 500's. NF Fab Rear Bumper. All-Pro skids. NF Fab Diff Armour. 4.56.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, 110 ish. You can even check with a regular wrench/socket - they will either be tight or not at all.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode