WFTW Trail Pre-Run - 6/20 & 6/21/09 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chalkie
WFTW Trail Pre-Run - 6/20 & 6/21/09

I did not take a lot of pictures this trip. But I will post a few and others will hopefully share theirs.

Eric taking a stab at the first obstacle on Grizzly:

As always, the views from Baldwin Lake were awesome:

Then there is good news and bad news for Tincup Pass. The good news is that the bulldozered super highway that was Tincup last year has "healed" itself over the winter and spring and is like a trail again. The bad news is that it is not open to the summit yet.

Personally, I had a great time this weekend. I have decided that CoTTORA and ATVs do not mix. Anytime CoTTORA is around, and I am on an ATV, it rains, and I get soaked. Happened last summer too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Was a great weekend. Damn eric, that ledge was even dry when you were on it.

I ended up running Iron Chest on saturday. the boulder feild was easier than expected, and that trail has some awesome views. one of my favorites for sure. Then when we were on the top of iron chest it began to rain. we met up with FJ and company and a few of us did the first ledge on grizzly followed by the first half of baldwin.

Today we watched the big boys run the entrance and exit of carnage with a quick run of OCG in between.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

good times. those with cameras get your pics up!

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Was a great weekend. Damn eric, that ledge was even dry when you were on it.
Yep. Heavy-ass FJ with low cross-over. I'm considering a weight-loss program. I thought about stacking rocks, but... The Jeep that came up behind us (ironically one of out WFTW! 4" lift, 33s locked F/R) was nice enough to stack some rocks so he could get up, but even after they got kicked out by a couple of you climbing up I was impressed how most of you relatively walked it (sorry you were denied Doug, but by the time you got up there it was pissing wet and muddy.) Perhaps I should have tried it in the rain

I'll bog down the thread with some pics in a few

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Nice background for three truggies. The first two are Jim and Nancy who will be joining us for WFTW. The orange rig was visiting them from Mississippi. The tan Rambler you'll see is George and his wife Terry.

The ENTRANCE Right off the bat it was challenging and we worked the winch and Hi-lift a few times up the trail.

Working their way up. It rained the day before, so lots of slippery sand to make everything more interesting.

Everyone got in plenty of flexing and grinding

V-notch was a challenge for everyone and everyone had to winch out of it. With the wet and mud, it just wasn't possible to maintain traction on either side.

But Shawn had the most fun...

... because he flopped good! After a couple of winch attempts forward, Shawn drove himself back onto four wheels by cleverly reversing. Fawking awesome to watch him work his rig.

Jim and Nancy walked over this tippy-inducing boulder

Mississippi and Terry (awesome driver BTW) took a strap to avoid scraping the passenger-side wall, but still got some

The Rambler now has a beauty mark creasing the hood

I shit you not, this is NOT a stuck. Shawn drove into, over and out of this.

The EXIT. Everyone winched out safely.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...

Last edited by fjcruzer; 06-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

The Jeepers went on to run Minesweeper later that day and plan to bring a total of 4 buggies to WFTW on July 18th.

The only trail we did not scout was Mount Antero (opting to buggy action instead), but judging by the snow still present on Tincup, I'd place odds on snow still blocking Antero up high.

I'm curious to get feedback from the other drivers about plans for WFTW and which and how many trails would be appropriate, but let's not clog this thread with that. More pics and vid!!

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
ike
Veteran Member

great pics man. I was really suprised how easily i went up the ledge on gizzly. Last year it took me about 30 minutes of work and stacking, though i did not try the line i made this year then.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Great pics!

Nice to meet everyone, Terry & I had a great time on carnage. I think that dent in the hood will buff right out
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome!!!!

So iron chest is open?

I want to see some of the picts from minesweeper.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't even know they ran mine sweeper... seemed like they were gone before we even got back to the trail head.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
So sorry Troy and I missed you all but it was a good weekend off from wheeling. LOL

I'm excited for WFTW. Super col shawn got up there. What did he think of BV Carnage?

So get excited for the WFTW Wrench-a-thon next weekend. Remember I need your full name and SS# By wednesday if you even think you might come (For the base entrance!)

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Shawn was happy with the trail, but he has some opinions regarding the matter i'll let him voice on his own if he chooses to do so.

I might get around to editing pics tonight... we'll see.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
ike
Veteran Member

gett em posted damnit!

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

im working on it dammit!

This 'wheel stand' on whales tail you guys spoke of was minimal... i was expecting a little more

-- Uploading now.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

get on ur shit nate. get those pics up
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Im uploading now, I didnt take many pics... ike/doug took more pics of me on 2 obstacles than i did out of the whole trip lol I wasn't really feeling up for it this weekend.

EDIT: Heres pics, i had everything typed up and organized once, then this fucking computer glitched and i lost it... so i'm not going to elaborately put them together again.

Please ask before using my pics, I hate watermarked photos so I dont do it to mine. However, I've seen a few lately that have been taken, and no credit has been given which irritates me.

Heres the highlights/my favorites:

(All the higher up you were doug)

-- No, I didn't make whales tail. I think it's pretty obvious in the pictures why I didn't as well. Mud-slick tires + mud caked rock = zero traction. It might as well of just been ice.

Heres a link to the rest:
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/yota/6-20-09/

- Sorry Shawn, I didn't get many of you on BV. The ones I had of you doing obstacles/fun shit, there was always someone smack center of the photo that was in the way.

Mickey*B, I got a few good ones of your rig though.

Last edited by 00regcab; 06-23-2009 at 05:28 PM.
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the pic's Nate!

Here's we took (and took too many):

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/q...0BV%206-21-09/

What trail is the first pic from? We want to go there, very good pic.

Thanks again too all.
George & Terry
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Nate killer pics as always, and if for some reason i forget to give you credit, bitch slap me! Your pics are very credit worthy!!!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Now THAT's a trail! Great pics! Love those boulder fields. Those muddy tires on that big rock looked pretty hopeless, Nate - but I understand you have to try. You guys are killing me with all this wheelin'. I'm still holding off on wheeling anything tougher than forest roads until I get at least one spare CV. But I finally got the new armor on her and repaired the mini truck (needed a U-joint, is all). Today was the first time I had it in 4wd since Moab. Hope to be good to go hit it hard again by next weekend.

Again... Great pics, Fantastic trail!

Degenerate

'03 D-cab Prerunner (4wd conversion)[/SIZE]
D-Cab https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481
'85 4Runner Geared, Locked & Exo'd on 37's
Toyzilla https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168734
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM

yea that d80 or d90 whatever it is that you have is siiiick. plus, you've definitely got an eye for it (assuming you took the majority of the pics i've seen you post...) always love seein wheelin pics!
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Despite the weather pissing down on me on Saturday thus giving me and my Geap a nice mud bath, me failing miserably at the entrance on Carnage right off the bat, and getting left behind to fend for myself while I'm stuck & bound up on the exit....I really did have a great time .....really! And you know why? Plain & simple trail courtesy & good company I'm not going to turn this into a typical Geap forum-like drama thread, so I won't go into it any further here...and it's not the TTORA members that need a trail etiquette 101 lesson anyway

I want to give a HUGE thanks....or as these young whipper snappers are calling it nowadays "Shout out"....to all those that helped get my junk unstuck on Carnage yesterday When people ask me "Why are YOU in a Toyota club", it's people like you that is the reason...that includes George & Terry. Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass...I'm just glad I could turn that crap around on that road up by Baldwin after Iron Chest I bet I could pass a CDL test after that

If no one minds, I'm going to lift some pics people posted & put them on my website. I'll give credit to the photographers on my album page. Let me know if you don't want me to post anything on my site. Great pics guys!

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy View Post
Despite the weather pissing down on me on Saturday thus giving me and my Geap a nice mud bath, me failing miserably at the entrance on Carnage right off the bat, and getting left behind to fend for myself while I'm stuck & bound up on the exit....I really did have a great time .....really!
Hell yeah you did! Shawn we love having you in CoTTORA now. I mean you wh0red it out with who... SoCal CoTTORA and AzTTORA? Cool Peeps. The fact that you call us home is kinda cool too

Quote:
And you know why? Plain & simple trail courtesy & good company I'm not going to turn this into a typical Geap forum-like drama thread, so I won't go into it any further here...and it's not the TTORA members that need a trail etiquette 101 lesson anyway
Yeah That's what we hear. We never leave someone behind! We don't care what you drive!

Quote:
I want to give a HUGE thanks....or as these young whipper snappers are calling it nowadays "Shout out"....to all those that helped get my junk unstuck on Carnage yesterday When people ask me "Why are YOU in a Toyota club", it's people like you that is the reason...that includes George & Terry. Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass...I'm just glad I could turn that crap around on that road up by Baldwin afterwords I bet I could pass a CDL test after that
I love my CoTTORA Peeps. All of you. Including you geep guy!

Wish I couylda been there ofr the trail I kep telling you I knew you woulda loved. Looks like I better be there for CACTUS or Die Trying!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
yea that d80 or d90 whatever it is that you have is siiiick. plus, you've definitely got an eye for it (assuming you took the majority of the pics i've seen you post...) always love seein wheelin pics!
D80, and thanks. Every picture i post thats not of ME driving MY truck, is taken by me. All the pictures i posted up of me in that rock pile, and on whales tail (from OCG) were taken by Ike (majority of them), and Doug (for the last few on Whales Tail)

Quote:
Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass..

If no one minds, I'm going to lift some pics people posted & put them on my website. I'll give credit to the photographers on my album page.
No problem at all Shawn, I know how it goes trying to get a truck/trailer back into a decent camp site. I used to run ahead on a dirt bike when I was younger and look for decent sites we could get my dads pig of a truck into. We've had much larger trailers, on much tighter trails, in much smaller/secluded camp sites than where we were this weekend It's all part of the fun . Was happy to help on the exit at Carnage too, wasn't a big deal at all.

Go for it on the pics; Doesn't bother me since it'll be done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey*B View Post
Thanks for the pic's Nate!

Here's we took (and took too many):

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/q...0BV%206-21-09/

What trail is the first pic from? We want to go there, very good pic.

Thanks again too all.
George & Terry
Good pictures there!

If your talking about the pictures i posted, the first 6 posted pictures are all from Iron Chest. It was a very cool, scenic trail. The 'boulder' field in the beginning was about the only interesting part on the trail, however it was still a blast to run. It was awesome to be up above the clouds once we got to the top.
post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 AM

Nice photos everyone, and that's some wheeling. Carnage is... wow. So much more than I ever plan to do. Those Iron Chest pics though... I'm mountain-sick now. Looks like there are quite a few people around here with a good eye for framing shots.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Nice pics everyone. Looks like the scenery up there is pretty spectacular! Nate, glad to see you are finally putting some wear on those KM2's.

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Pix of Carnage don't do it justice.. especially the exit. That's the first time I've ever seen that in person. Part of it is the fact the yellow orange and gray jeeps are fuckin HUGE and they make those rocks look small. Hell, Shawn's jeep is pretty damn big (compared to our trucks) and he looks like a stocker next to them.

I got some pix, but my other laptop is acting up so haven't had a chance to upload yet.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
ike
Veteran Member

It was crazy rolling up and having the JeepGuy go from by far the biggest truck to being the smallest. Then on the walk back after watching them go through the entrance we ran into a truck on 47's that made all of the trucks look small.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

47's, man that's ridiculously huge. Basically a 4-foot tire. I mean, how easy do you want to make it? On 47's you'd have to be crawling over parked monster trucks to make it very challenging. C-mon, if I need 4 feet of tire to wheel it, maybe its not meant to be wheeled. Compared to our trucks, I think of Jeepguy's rig as incredibly well-built. 40's to me seem to be approaching ridiculous. I think 37's are pretty close to the sweet spot between capable and still challenging, but there's no accounting for taste. (and now that I've said that, I'll probably be wheeling 49's some day so you guys can make me eat my words).

I was hanging out at a local 4wd shop yesterday and the owner (a sas guy)was looking at my truck and said he prefers the challenge of wheeling on nothing bigger than 35's, and that he loved wheeling IFS trucks on 33's because it was so much easier to find challenging runs/lines. Anyone with some cash can build a monster truck and point and shoot drive it. But getting an IFS truck on 33's through a lot of the trails you can find just about anywhere is lots fun, just about the right challenge - though it has its limitations. I just wish the CV's held up better. I love wheeling 33's, partly because its also my DD'er and I don't want to be one of those guys parked at the Mall on 40's.

I see how much fun the guys on solid axles and 37-40-inch tires have on the same trails I run with them out here, and it does look fun. Don't get me wrong. But there is something to the "keep it challenging" argument. There's a guy out here in AZ, T-Bob (owner of Built II Beat Fabrication), who wheels an IFS Taco on 33's and he makes some lines that leave the SAS guys with their jaws on the ground. Its driving skills like that that I find impressive and inspiring.

Degenerate

'03 D-cab Prerunner (4wd conversion)[/SIZE]
D-Cab https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481
'85 4Runner Geared, Locked & Exo'd on 37's
Toyzilla https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168734
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Then on the walk back after watching them go through the entrance we ran into a truck on 47's that made all of the trucks look small.
And he broke... a lot... most of the buggies we were with were on 42s.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
ike
Veteran Member

With huge tires you have the challenge of not breaking. I hear the guy on 47's broke big time.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode