Summit County Rowdy Snow Bashing 1/8/11 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Summit County Rowdy Snow Bashing 1/8/11

Just to start off, this trip was by far one of the funnest things I've ever done

DIRTCO lives in Frisco (just outside of Breckenridge) and has been inviting me to go snow wheeling for years. I've never been able to make it up (rig is usually torn apart during the winter) but finally had the chance to see what this snow wheeling thing is all about. I'm hooked

DIRTCO knows of a great place to snow wheel. It doesn't see much traffic and doesn't have many off-camber or super steep climbs. Perfect for snow wheeling. His 4Runner is on fresh 35" MTR's and my sits on 39.5" Iroks (bald fronts and 75% rears). He's also got a turbo

My winch was only used 3 times, twice on myself and once on Jeremiah. The shovel was only brought out once. Crazy considering we wheeled for 5 hours. The snow wasn't fresh. It had a 1-2" hard crust and the rest was 1 to 3 feet of sugar snow. Not the most ideal snow to wheel it but whatever.

DIRTCO lead the way at the start of the day while I tried to figure out how to wheel the white stuff. Once he was having a hard time breaking trail, I tried my hand at breaking trail. Just the couple extra inches of tire and bald front tires (didn't dig down as bad) allowed me to break several miles of trail that we didn't think we were going to even have a shot at.

The 22RE ran at redline for several hours Didn't bother it at all.

First stuck of the day. This was about 5 minutes onto the trail This took a winch pull and some shovel to get out.

DIRTCO breaking trail

Letting the rigs cool off.

This is what we were breaking though most of the day. Since it was sugar snow, it took everything we had to break. If it would have been fresh or wet spring snow, we could have driven through snow twice as deep.

This was where we stopped and turned around. I could have bashed it but would have taken us hours to get 100 more feet up the trail. It was a solid 2-3 feet deep with some of the drifts even taller.

Trying to turn around.

2nd big stuck for me of the day. Glad I have a winch.

Where we stopped for lunch. After coming down, we drove up 2 more times and bombed down our tracks. It was a blast.

Here's some footage of Jeremiah bashing some snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdbalfTMihU

We both got quite a bit of footage, he's going to send it to me and I'll get it edited up and will post up the video.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Looks like a blast!

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to Kappes03
That turbo sounds lovely!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Sic pics!!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
#1 cruiser

Now that looks like a blast!

Felix is my Hero!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Very cool!

What size tire is DirtCo Running?

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Awesome!! A winch is a must when doin deep snow like that.

I take it the new radiator held up?

>>Dan

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Very cool!

What size tire is DirtCo Running?
35" MTR Kevlars. He had them aired down to 3 psi (no beadlocks) and they were almost flat. They did very well in the crappy snow conditions on Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
Awesome!! A winch is a must when doin deep snow like that.

I take it the new radiator held up?

>>Dan
Yup, radiator held up It got quite the workout. We would let the rigs cool down every 10 minutes or so.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
I'm glad you finally got around to trying it. I think I wheel twice as much in the winter than I do in the summer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
35" MTR Kevlars. He had them aired down to 3 psi (no beadlocks) and they were almost flat. They did very well in the crappy snow conditions on Sat.
Very cool! I'm going to running those soon, as my parts truck had a brand new set. Its exciting to see that they work well!

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM

What a fun day! I'm glad Volcom could make the trip from Pueblo. The weather was awesome until the end of the day when it started getting cold. The snow conditions could have been better, but once we figured out what worked we made some good progress. The turbo got one hell of a workout, it was spooled up for most of the day!

I only took a couple pictures, but I did get a bunch of video. I'm going to let Aaron do his thing and edit it all together, between the two of us there should be more than enough angry tached out 4cyl. footage!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Dirtco, your rig is looking great! I followed your build, thought this was going to a mild one?! Haha.. how's that auto tranny shifter treating you?

Lookin forward to the vids

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Hey Dirtco, your rig is looking great! I followed your build, thought this was going to a mild one?! Haha.. how's that auto tranny shifter treating you?

Lookin forward to the vids
Thanks! That was the plan but you know how that goes! Compared to the last truck, and most of my friends trucks, it's still kind of mild.

Most of the time I use the stock shifter, but in the snow the stand alone shifter was great. I could stay in a higher gear without it downshifting on me and I could also shift gears without loosing speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode