Eagle Rock/ Saran Wrap 4-10-11 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Eagle Rock/ Saran Wrap 4-10-11

It was a great day!! Got B-dawg on to his first real trails. There was a little carnage: Foxtrot89 unwillingly got rid of his right rear lift block, B-dawg got a bunch of dings and dents, I think the jeeps may of got a scratch or two, my right rear tire threw a rock at my rear quarter pannel and took the paint and left a nice dent and my all-pro bumper shifted up and broke my passenger side fender flare.

We first tried to do Saran Wrap, but the trail we took was very hard (most of b-dawg's damage came from), then all of a sudden it just ended, so we headed back down to Eagle Rock. Then we hit some trouble with Foxtrot's lift block (I'll let him tell that story). We meet up with some other "pretty" jeeps and a Bad ass Toyota PU. Another Jeep (not our group) broke his axel. We finally did get out of the trail and back home. All in all it was a great day, thanks to Foxtrot89! Did I mention it was about an 11 hour day?

Here is some of the photos I took:

Ya I'm not a very good picture taker.

Here is the lin to the rest:
http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/a...ock%204-10-11/

I know one of the guys was taking video.

2008 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Rugged Trail
SAWS 2.0 front
Toyforda springs in rear
255/85/16 Cooper ST's,
cheap Harbor Freight 6" lights with HIDs,
KC slim lights with HIDs
home made On Board Air
CBI Sliders
Built Right UCAs
ATO Front Skid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 PM

just wanted to let you guys know I made it home. I'll tell the story tomorrow lol, I'm so tired.

Sold 86 4runner - locked F&R with 37" old style MTR's, dual stock cases, SAS, blah blah blah
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot89 View Post
just wanted to let you guys know I made it home. I'll tell the story tomorrow lol, I'm so tired.
Glad you made it!!

2008 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Rugged Trail
SAWS 2.0 front
Toyforda springs in rear
255/85/16 Cooper ST's,
cheap Harbor Freight 6" lights with HIDs,
KC slim lights with HIDs
home made On Board Air
CBI Sliders
Built Right UCAs
ATO Front Skid

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah to my knowledge Saran Wrap just goes up and dead ends. It is just a spur.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

All in all, looks like you guys had a good day. Did you hit any snow on either trail?

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Yeah to my knowledge Saran Wrap just goes up and dead ends. It is just a spur.
Saran Wrap goes up, then comes down and joins Eagle rock trail. Sounds like you guys were on a different spur.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM

so.. the story... we were at the top of what we thought was saran wrap, turning around, when my friend says "stop, you lift block is coming out." so we stop. grab a hammer, and get that sucker back in there. so we go all the way down this trail, and get back to the bottom. I checked them and they seemed fine, still in the right place. about half way up eagle rock, it came out again (pasengers side). still was in there but hanging about 3/4 of the way off the back. so we pulled pu on a rock so we could hammer it in again. a little further, and it came out again. this time the axle slipped out and pushed the tire against the front of the fender. this is the longest part. we borke out the high lift, and jacked it up and got it back under, however the u-bolts were bent to crap and the threads were stripped to where we could not get them off. we put about 7 straps on the axle/ubolts (two holding the axle fowards/backwards on passenger side, one holding backwards on drivers side, one holding the springs together and one holding the pinion down, and two holding the block/spring on the axle) we drove this way all the way back to my storage unit on the east side of the springs, going about 15-20 the whole way. I'll have to take some pics tomorrow of the blocks/axle because it looks pretty scarry lol. the big problem was, the pins on the bottom of both blocks broke off so there was nothing but weight holding it on the spring perch.

Sold 86 4runner - locked F&R with 37" old style MTR's, dual stock cases, SAS, blah blah blah
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Saran Wrap goes up, then comes down and joins Eagle rock trail. Sounds like you guys were on a different spur.
Not really. Saran Wrap goes up and is usually run as an out and back off of Eagle rock. When we ran it with Wakkjob we took a different spur off of the main dirt road that dropped us off about half way through saran wrap, right before the difficult high road/low road section. The first time we ran it Doug, we did it in the classic out and back method.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Sounds like quite the adventure. Time to ditch those blocks for a new set of springs or and AAL set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot89 View Post
so.. the story... we were at the top of what we thought was saran wrap, turning around, when my friend says "stop, you lift block is coming out." so we stop. grab a hammer, and get that sucker back in there. so we go all the way down this trail, and get back to the bottom. I checked them and they seemed fine, still in the right place. about half way up eagle rock, it came out again (pasengers side). still was in there but hanging about 3/4 of the way off the back. so we pulled pu on a rock ( pic 7 and 8 above) so we could hammer it in again. a little further, and it came out again. this time the axle slipped out and pushed the tire against the front of the fender. this is the longest part. we borke out the high lift, and jacked it up and got it back under, however the u-bolts were bent to crap and the threads were stripped to where we could not get them off. we put about 7 straps on the axle/ubolts (two holding the axle fowards/backwards on passenger side, one holding backwards on drivers side, one holding the springs together and one holding the pinion down, and two holding the block/spring on the axle) we drove this way all the way back to my storage unit on the east side of the springs, going about 15-20 the whole way. I'll have to take some pics tomorrow of the blocks/axle because it looks pretty scarry lol. the big problem was, the pins on the bottom of both blocks broke off so there was nothing but weight holding it on the spring perch.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM

AAL? im thinking of just leaving the blocks out and lowering the front 2". time for some trimming

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Add a leaf, Several options are avalible, from a single leaf to a set of 3. They are added to the existing leaf pack and provide lift.

What lift is currently on the truck? Dropping it 2" may also be a good option.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM

well it is a combo right now. it sits way to high in my opinion. the rear pack has about 8 leaves in it so AAL would make it about the same as a f-350 lol. they are ford 53" springs. I can't remember the shackle calculations. is it a 1" longer shackle lifts it .5" or 2"?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
ike
Veteran Member

It depends on shakle angle, but in general every inch longer in shakle you go, you gain 1/2 inch in lift.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Trucks washed, gave it a look over, some dings and dents... I'll tell ya my fear was the under carage and it was fine. Met cool peeps, had a pretty good day. Next ride will be more....um...tame LOL.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

foxtrot

I don't think foxtrot's rig likes Eagle Rock!

1994 Toyota Pickup, 40's, duals, exo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode