Moab Sep. 11th - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Moab Sep. 11th

Just got home from the trip to Moab with the Chevy guys. It was my first time out and Hell's Revenge was awesome. I will definitely be going again. Ran into a small issue on the way home, but I'll let the pics do the talking.

And then the issue......

I nodded off, woke up going into the median, corrected and headed for a light pole on the other side of my lanes, corrected to miss the pole, truck started sliding sideways, right rear tire/bedside hit the pole, pole went over, truck went airborne. It landed right over my head and rolled several more times. Where the initial impact is, the roof is about an inch from where my head usually is in the driving position. The guy that was behind me when it happened said I rolled 7-10 times. I remember at least 3-4 of them.

I am VERY, VERY LUCKY. My highlift was on the rear floorboard. I had two 20' trucker's chains, 4 D-ring shackles, and a jack mate in the storage under the rear seat. ALL of this exited the truck. Tools, fire extinguisher, hitch ball and mount, etc were behind the back seat. The roof folding down in the back kept the rear seat backs from coming forward enough to let everything out. I found the clip for the hitch pin, which was connected before the wreck, on the dashboard. Shit ends up in crazy spots after a wreck like this. Learn from this and do not keep shit in your cab. Get a toolbox if you don't have one and keep everything heavy in it.

All I can say is wear your seatbelt. I am positive that if I did not have mine on, I would have been ejected. Also do not use cruise control when you are tired. Better yet, stop and rest. I was trying to make it to the next exit about 10 miles away, if that. I only had a 5.5 hour drive, and I made it half way. Someone or something was looking over me. It could have gone wrong so many different ways. I have my first child coming in about two months and I may have not been here for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Holy shit dude. Thats gnarly as hell. Glad you are here to see your girl though.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 PM

sorry about your truck and glad your okay... im still bummed i dident get my 4runner back together in time to make it... i WILL make it to blazerbash next year...

84 4runner.. arb front detroit rear.. 5.29s 35's bfg muds highsteer.. sliders...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 AM

Wow! Looks like the airbags didn't deploy?

'04 Taco 2.7L engine, tranny, tcase, cab, half a frame. Junk.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Damn that sux. Glad you are ok though.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

Travis - Man that sucks! I am very glad that you are alright. Someone was definitely looking out for you and your family. Man...

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytaco26 View Post
Wow! Looks like the airbags didn't deploy?
Probably no curtain airbags my 2007 doesn't have them and the brunt of the impact was not in the front to deploy the steering wheel bag I guess.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to see that happen. Glad you're ok. Thank goodness you had your seat belt on.
I rolled my Tacoma and the only injury I got was from my Black and Decker drill hitting me in the head.

1994 Toyota Pickup, 40's, duals, exo
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

holy shit man. glad youre ok. I dozed off at the wheel once, went across two lanes, jumped a curb and slid down a hill where I stopped in a bike path. it was at 1 in the morning in Estes so there was no oncoming traffic and I was lucky enough to not hit a thing. but it made me realize that when im tired, to fucking stop the truck and rest/wake up/get coffee. Ill never drive drowsy again, bet you wont either! again, glad youre ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
ekj
Veteran Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to be headed out to Moab on the 30th. This is a real eye opener!! Thank god your ok!!

95 Excab With a couple mods.
05 Dodge Cummins. The Yota taxi!
2005 Acura RXS type S sold
90 Toyota reg cab pickup 33"tires,procomp 4" ifs lift and 4:88 gears. sold
89 crx Ls vtec Swap Sold
2000 R1 Sold

My Videos.
Moab 5-16-12/5-20-12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgg_L...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theekj1?feature=mhee
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Holy shit man! congrats on still being alive.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Glad youre ok! Thats a serious roll brother. Could have been alot worse. Someone was looking out for you.

On a lighter note...I think it will buff out.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. No side curtain airbags. No front impact so the wheel/dash didn't deploy, and I'm glad they didn't. Losing the truck doesn't bother me, but the fact that I just put $3k in suspension on it does. Other than that, that's what insurance is for.

I don't think I'm going to get another one. It's hard not to after what it did for me, but I think I'm going the diesel route now. If Toyota would pull their heads out of their collective asses and offered us a Taco with a diesel, then that would be what I would replace it with. I guess I have to get a Dodge now though.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Sorry to see that happen. Glad you're ok. Thank goodness you had your seat belt on.
I rolled my Tacoma and the only injury I got was from my Black and Decker drill hitting me in the head.
I think the Devil owned that drill once Wasn't the first time it tried to knock you out! We learned to keep that thing below head level.

Sucks about the crash but glad you're ok! I say keep it, cut it, cage it!

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Damn Travis. Really glad you're OK... That is awful tho. I just left you a voicemail... gimmie a call when you're free. Take it easy.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Wow! Glad you are ok...now resize the pictures so your thread isn't a royal PITA to read.

Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:11 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Holy shit man! congrats on still being alive.
No kidding!! I am so glad you were ok. And seriously no injuries at all? Other than being massively shaken up! When I rolled my 4 runner... I had everything heavy strapped down. Really glad too. And I mean STRAPPED down... for that very reason. Though I lost a few cases of CD's out of the sun-roof...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Got some more pics uploaded. They're out of order because photobucket is stupid. The rest is scenery stuff.

I was very proud of the truck out there. Everyone I was running the hard stuff with was 37"+ tires and I took all the same lines. It's shitty cause now I have to learn a whole new truck.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

That's a crazy looking buggy.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:22 PM

holy crap....didn't expect that!!

glad you're alright man..that's some crazy carnage!

looks like the bumper and sliders held together nicely...
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you're ok. Sorry about your truck too, although it pales in comparison and you have insurance.

I too have fallen asleep at the wheel, although it didn't have nearly as dramatic of an effect. (made me move closer to work though). Guess I'm going to have to get serious about "rig for flip", which I usually only do rafting.

'01 Taco, DD, 33's, dented armor, squeaks, rattles
'80 Pickup, 35's, locked, armored, geared, lifted, and does ok when the hubs are locked in.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
While I've never fallen asleep at the wheel *yet* I know so many who have... In fact Troy too is lucky to be alive while falling asleep in his 89 Toyota truck, driving at night from Charlotte to Houston. They estimate that He flipped end over end 7 times.... He broke his neck, but didn't realize it, and got up in a daze and was walking around till someone found him....

*sigh* like you he is super careful now!

P.S. Nice pics of the trail run! You definitely held your own on yells revenge! Did any of you do Hells Gate, escalator, or tip over challenge?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Tried Hells Gate and got denied about half way up. Front locker would have got me there. Had to be winched the rest of the way. Skipped Escalator, hit the first hot tub, knocked out tip over challenge and potato salad hill.

My buddy in AZ picked up the replacement tonight. It will be home in a couple weeks. Not a Yota, but there's a Cummins under the hood.

I think there's a trail rig in my future....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode