Liberty Trail - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Liberty Trail

I don't even want to talk about Liberty. What a disaster!

1994 Toyota Pickup, 40's, duals, exo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Come awn now! Lets hear it...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm sure Kyle and Lauren will post some pics. It wasn't us but it took us close to 3 hours to move a Cherokee probably two car lengths up the extremely hard exit. It only had 3 wheels, two broke front axles, and no brakes. And he was alone.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
I'm sure Kyle and Lauren will post some pics. It wasn't us but it took us close to 3 hours to move a Cherokee probably two car lengths up the extremely hard exit. It only had 3 wheels, two broke front axles, and no brakes. And he was alone.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
In for pics

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
93 c3500 lowerthanstockdually
10 jaguar xf- about to be forsale
04 760li on 22's- soon to be forsale
02 Vette to show the world I'm compensating-forsale
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

I'll post up some pics and vids today when I get sone wifi.

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM

What time did he finally get out? He had been there since about 2:30 and I thought there were 2 other rigs with him.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

He was stuck way before 2:30. That's about the time Nate came around.

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

We started trying to get him up the exit around 1:00. Wasn't really watching the clock. Just know that we needed to leave to make it to a dinner at 3:30. There's no way we can leave someone in a bad way. He had one buddy helping but his rig was way back down the trail. We had him start back out of Liberty because we knew we needed more winches. I left close to 3:30 and they were still trying to get him out. At least we had him to the top.
Made it to the dinner a 4:00.
I didn't mind. It's always a learning experience.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
He was stuck way before 2:30. That's about the time Nate came around.
I wasn't sure exactly, we came up Freedom with 2 broken rigs about that time and he was on the exit, right at the top. There was another Cherokee and a Taco with him.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
We started trying to get him up the exit around 1:00. Wasn't really watching the clock. Just know that we needed to leave to make it to a dinner at 3:30. There's no way we can leave someone in a bad way. He had one buddy helping but his rig was way back down the trail. We had him start back out of Liberty because we knew we needed more winches. I left close to 3:30 and they were still trying to get him out. At least we had him to the top.
Made it to the dinner a 4:00.
I didn't mind. It's always a learning experience.
Thanks for helping him out, I hate leaving anybody broken on a trail, but I was a passenger with a group that had to go.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a few pics and vids. Most of them were just short clips of us making about three inches of progress each time.

Here's our setup, someone had broken the railing a few weekends ago so we used it as a slider to bring the axel up.

Used his tire that fell off instead of rock stacking

First attempt at moving with the rail

Little sketchy

Glad we had the hi lift

Helped a lot...

Hi lift jack attack

At this point the railing was being wedged into his shock, tire, and gas tank...which is why it wasn't moving.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Quote:
He wasnt' necessarily alone. However, the two of us decided we weren't going up patriot. And we tried to talk him out of it... he's stubborn. Didnt listen.

We had him out of the way (off the exit, and pulled up about 100ft) about 20 minutes after you guys took off.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner1 View Post
I wasn't sure exactly, we came up Freedom with 2 broken rigs about that time and he was on the exit, right at the top. There was another Cherokee and a Taco with him.
Yea, we were parked down at the intersection. I was debating going out patriot until i heard it was that exit. I stayed at the bottom at the intersection until i got word as to what was going on. Then we boogied up and out Liberty and back around to winch him out.

PS -- we did what we could to get the oil/brake fluid cleaned up.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Alone as in only vehicle on that section. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. So did the other Cherokee driver. Definatley pretty gutsy to go up that part.
Like I said. I didn't mind. Got to experiment with recovery techniques.
I'm glad he got out finally. We had some serious McGuiver crap going on.
The old guy helping was even going to get us his cherry picker to help get it out if we needed.
All in all... a good time.

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner1 View Post
Thanks for helping him out, I hate leaving anybody broken on a trail, but I was a passenger with a group that had to go.
No biggy! You guys had major issues also. Also some sweet rigs in your group. Some of your guys offered to help but we had him up to the top by then. Thanks. Hope to see you on the trail again.

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

WTF was that POS doing on Patriot in the first place?! That mall crawler has absolutely no business on that trail. I hope the cost of his carnage (and the tow home) sunk into his pea brained head that he should stay the fawk off trails that FAR exceed his AND his rig's capability. Everybody breaks and shit happens sometimes, but it all comes down to one simple motto: KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS.

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

wow.

great job helping out. he's lucky he had some stand up people there to get him out of the trail. can't teach common sense i guess....
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

holy shit! when you said 3-wheel, I thought one just didn't have any power (obviously with a broken axle)... but missing the wheel on the vehicle entirely

Good on all you for helping him. I've never turned my back on helping somebody out. But there's a line where you say "wow, you're just totally fucked. you're going to have to park your shit, go get parts and fix it to get out of here". From this side of the keyboard, i'd say that guy was just over that line.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Guess that's what happens when nate drags jeeps out onto the trail.

Remember though shit happens. Pretty sure that jeep has upgraded axles so it wasn't entirely a bad rig. From the sounds of it the group was bored by liberty but most felt patriot was over their head. He just decided to give it a go and see what happened. I know many on here have done that once or twice in our wheeling careers.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
...From the sounds of it the group was bored by liberty but most felt patriot was over their head. He just decided to give it a go and see what happened.
That's when the sensible part of the brain should kick in and say "I think this one's beyond me." That's exactly what I said when I got to Patriot and looked at the big obstacles near and at the exit. This was before my stretch and I KNEW that my rig was not equipped and my wheelbase was too short for that trail...and back then my rig was still more ready then this Cherocar. What tires was he running? 33's? And where's his cage? I can understand him running Liberty, and that sounds totally reasonable for that geap. But Patriot?...Really? There's comp rigs that struggle on that one.

Kudos to those who helped him. He owes you guys some serious frosty beverages for that recovery...and that wasn't a Keystone or Bud Light recovery. That was definitely an Odell's 5-Barrel Pale or Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout recovery. I think I still have you beat though with my Tommy Knocker Imperial Maple Nut Brown recovery on Carnage.

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

WOW! Damn Nate I should have gone with you! That would have been fun to watch

I still haven’t grown a big enough pair to attempt that route. I wanna say I give him props for trying, but from the looks of his truck, he had no chance of making it....

So how did he lose the wheel? BJ's?

Why no brakes? Couldn’t clamp off the broke line and get some pressure back in the other..... lol 2 or 3 wheels?

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Didn't see any reason to bother with it. He had a winch line on him the whole time anyway. Besides, it really didn't want to move anywhere on only 3 wheels. So it didn't seem necessary to go through all of that hassle.

The good news is that 95% of that recovery was done by the Jeep owner with his own winch and tools. Just with that he was able to get his axle back on flat ground. Nate and the other guy showed up to give him the last tug to get the ass end out. But honestly, he probably could have made it in time. We didn't have a rig there so our main role was just keeping the guy calm, offering suggestions, spotting, and an occasional spare hand. Otherwise, it was all him.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

The Jeep actually did just fine through everything up until the exit. He did pull a fair amount of cable though. About 35 feet before the exit he broke his first u joint and the second must have been somewhere trying to get a tire on the exit before hooking up the winch. At this point he began to back down at full lock to get a better angle. We saw that tire get pinched and it looked like it was turning too far. We were trying to yell at him to stop but he couldn't hear us and the damage was done. Both ball joints had broken although it wasn't immediately obvious yet. He managed to come up the exit about 5 feet before that tire folded over and I made him stop so that I could confirm that he snapped the ball joints. At this point, because the tire could not support weight it was a hindrance so we instructed him to unbolt his brake line and tie rod to get it out of the way. So the tire was not ripped off completely, it was removed.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

I am Lauren and I approve this message! ^^^^^

He truly did do a lot better than half the other people. One jeep broke before even getting on Patriot and another one flopped.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I am Lauren and I approve this message! ^^^^^

He truly did do a lot better than half the other people. One jeep broke before even getting on Patriot and another one flopped.
This. ^

Not to insult anyone that wasnt there, but i went down with this guy. He knows his shit. He knows his rig. And he sure as hell knows how to drive. He trailered down (and obviously, back) so it wasnt a big deal. If i took my truck down on a trailer, you bet your asses i would of been on Patriot with him.

As kyle said, he did really well through the majority of the trail. He pulled cable twice, and we threw a few rocks around. But overall, it really wasnt THAT bad. There was not another group behind him that he was holding up, so he figured he would at least attempt it.

As ike said, shit happens. Parts break, and thats part of wheeling. It could of been avoided, yes. However, it wasn't. Oh well.

Jerry, he definitely did not have a chance in driving that exit. I was still debating running up patriot with him until i learned it was that exit, then i decided to opt out.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I never knew Dana 30 were that fragile. Has anyone ever seen a Toyota knuckle tear off?

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Jerry, he definitely did not have a chance in driving that exit. I was still debating running up patriot with him until i learned it was that exit, then i decided to opt out.
At least he tried

That exit is insane! One of these days......maybe.

So he is running a D30/D35? Bolt patern looks like 5*4.5 from the picts, so i guess so.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I never knew Dana 30 were that fragile. Has anyone ever seen a Toyota knuckle tear off?
Yes, the last issue of 4WD Toyota Owner had a picture of an FJ80 on the Rubicon that sheared his knuckle studs, which caused the entire knuckle to crack and fail. Scary considering that axle is supposed to be a lot stronger than ours are.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Jerry, he was running a 30front 44 rear. This incident finally pushed him to get his other project done which is a commanche linked on 60's and 40's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode