Moody Hill 9/25/11 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Moody Hill 9/25/11

Chris and I ran Moody Hill and we think Crystal Mtn. today. Great last minute run to get some more time in the new rig before moab.
Here are my random pics:

87' 4Runner SAS 4" TG Springs, 37's and a few other things...
2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
toytech 3/2 lift w/ OME rear shocks
black fj wheels, 285/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac, 1.25" spidertrax spacers
2012 Lariat F150 Ecoboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

You must be lovin' that 4Runner. It's looking good. I'm sure you'll do well in Moab.

1994 Toyota Pickup, 40's, duals, exo
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Wish I could have made it. Looks like you guys ran crystal as well.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
You must be lovin' that 4Runner. It's looking good. I'm sure you'll do well in Moab.
Runner did good, I was having a few issues with it running periodically but nothing huge. Its a little different compared to wheeling the 06 runner..

2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I spy the playground at the bottom of crystal. Were the 'no trespassing' signs still up? or did somebody pull their heads out of asses and leave the trail open?

Wish I'd seen the run before 930 this morning, I would have ran down the road and ran it with you guys.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Yeah, I spy the playground at the bottom of crystal. Were the 'no trespassing' signs still up? or did somebody pull their heads out of asses and leave the trail open?

Wish I'd seen the run before 930 this morning, I would have ran down the road and ran it with you guys.
There are no trespassing signs all over but it's only for the forest according to some dirt bikers we ran into up there. It's designated refuge or something like that...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Having trouble with the videos Carolyn took but here are some pics:

What's an easier way of getting videos on here without having to upload to bucket....that takes foooooooreveeeeeer.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair1cn View Post
There are no trespassing signs all over but it's only for the forest according to some dirt bikers we ran into up there. It's designated refuge or something like that...
for future reference: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=174834

There have always been many signs along the way that basically say stay on the road, but there was a new one put up that basically closed the trail a few hundred yards in. Last time I ran into the Horsetooth wheelers, they said COHVCO was still fighting it out with the state. I have a pic someplace of the sign i'm talking about, but it's easily overlooked I'll try to find the pic of the sign and post it up later.

de·gen·er·ate

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Link for article doesn't have the article anymore.

Are you talking about a gate on Moody or down towards Crystal? There was a gate and private property sign after turning left at a large intersection, but the gate was open. We did not proceed and went the other way to (what we thought was) Crystal.

Can't be more help than that. Don't know all the ins and outs of that network up there. But I will tell you we ran about 25-30 miles of trail/spurs and only encountered the one private property sign. All gates we came to were open.

Crystal turned out to be a fun little trail with some great hill climbs!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Chris, this should be your avatar.

255/85 16 KM2s, CBI rear tube bumper, Eaton LSD, 2.5" lift
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Pics look good Chris!!
No Videos!!! No.... haha I want to see that one of me trying the steep climb with the front end coming up!!
You tube might be easier for loading..

2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
What's an easier way of getting videos on here without having to upload to bucket....that takes foooooooreveeeeeer.
Well... I love Dropbox myself.

It really depends on what you want... Just a place to put some files, or a fancy website that can display them for you? If you need the latter, you'll need some Photobucket-like site. I'm not sure which sites can upload and play the video, other than the normal YouTube, Photobucket, etc.

However, if your internet has poor upload bandwidth (most do...) then there's nothing you can do 'cept grab a beer and wait. I pay for ~20mbit down, but I only get 2-3mbit up. Retarded.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Here's another site that reposted the original Coloradoan article mentioned above:
http://www.responsibletrails.org/Col...ff-limits.html

If I remember the description and read the map/sat photos correctly when I originally posted the article, the closure would have been shortly after the last picture in the first post on this thread (if that's where I think it is).

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM
ike
Veteran Member

You would be correct. That is where the state trust land starts.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Haku
The Moody Hill/Crystal Mountain combo is my absolute favorite trail...definitely want to get out on it again this year.

There is a decent thread on Colorado4x4 about the closure and such, and while I'm not sure if there is a final outcome right now, the last official word I heard about it is that the Forest Service has decided not to enforce anything unless the lease holder for the land up there installs a gate.

According to a representative from COHVCO, there is currently a negotiation to lease an easement across the Land Trust land. They needed a large sponsor to help enforce it, and the Forest Service stepped up, and the funds are already available to pay for it. No one has said anything about the deal being officially sealed, but once negotiations started, the signs went down and the gate at the big intersection (where Moody comes in and the main road goes towards CO44) opened up.

At this point, it seems like its open until the CO Land Trust or the current lease holder takes further action to keep the general public from this trail. This is 3rd hand information though, so don't take my word completely for it. The same rules apply from before the closure stuff happened though, so stay on the trail and consider everything around it until about half way up the trail from the playground area to be surrounded by private land. There is a very tempting camping spot on the trail next to the big ledge in the playground area, but its definitely off limits.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Haku
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidchylde View Post
If I remember the description and read the map/sat photos correctly when I originally posted the article, the closure would have been shortly after the last picture in the first post on this thread (if that's where I think it is).
Actually, technically the CO State Land Trust land starts before the intersection that you turn up to go on Crystal Mountain. Here is a map of the parcel in question...

Here is the thread on CO4x4 about it.... http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ystal+mountain
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

All I know is that it's open and you should get your fix if the details on closure are correct. First time up there and I'm definitely going bac before the snow closes in this year.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I plan on it as well

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku View Post
The Moody Hill/Crystal Mountain combo is my absolute favorite trail...definitely want to get out on it again this year.

There is a decent thread on Colorado4x4 about the closure and such, and while I'm not sure if there is a final outcome right now, the last official word I heard about it is that the Forest Service has decided not to enforce anything unless the lease holder for the land up there installs a gate.

According to a representative from COHVCO, there is currently a negotiation to lease an easement across the Land Trust land. They needed a large sponsor to help enforce it, and the Forest Service stepped up, and the funds are already available to pay for it. No one has said anything about the deal being officially sealed, but once negotiations started, the signs went down and the gate at the big intersection (where Moody comes in and the main road goes towards CO44) opened up.

At this point, it seems like its open until the CO Land Trust or the current lease holder takes further action to keep the general public from this trail. This is 3rd hand information though, so don't take my word completely for it. The same rules apply from before the closure stuff happened though, so stay on the trail and consider everything around it until about half way up the trail from the playground area to be surrounded by private land. There is a very tempting camping spot on the trail next to the big ledge in the playground area, but its definitely off limits.
Quote:
All I know is that it's open and you should get your fix if the details on closure are correct. First time up there and I'm definitely going bac before the snow closes in this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I plan on it as well
Lets make it happen!! Post Moab trip?? We should have some time before snow closes it.

2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

good info. Thanks!

And I wasn't trying to call anybody out or anything, just wondering what what going on with that trail. Moody/Crystal is still one of my favorites.

de·gen·er·ate

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Actually, technically the CO State Land Trust land starts before the intersection that you turn up to go on Crystal Mountain. Here is a map of the parcel in question...
Ah, thanks for the image. I was misreading the use map - I was thinking that square at the end of the trail was the parcel, since it was described as being a square completely surrounded by FS land. Apparently that was incorrect, and the SLB square is adjoined by additional private parcels to the north and south, and those together are all surrounded by FS land.

A couple of things I find funny: I took the right fork on the way out and got a hundred plus yards down before I ever saw a sign that said private and a gate (that was open, but I still turned around and went back to 344). And it was probably put up after, but I recall no sign or gate on 344 prior to or even after that intersection, except an old rusted yellow and black sign on a pine tree on the hill up to the playground meadow.

And when I was up there I saw at least one other vehicle parked unattended and a guy who was camping on the far side of the creek from the playground who didn't say a word to me.

'07 Tacoma Sport AC V6 Auto 4x4, Black
Still pretty much stock.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Any luck with videos Chris?

2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Photobucket was taking forever and continued to crash during upload. I will give you the videos in Moab or load them on Tube before we go if I get some time to sit and do it.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Photobucket was taking forever and continued to crash during upload. I will give you the videos in Moab or load them on Tube before we go if I get some time to sit and do it.
Sounds good!!

2006 V6 4x4 SR5 4Runner
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Chris, I can help you with the video uploads one day, just remind me.

255/85 16 KM2s, CBI rear tube bumper, Eaton LSD, 2.5" lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode