Penrose 07/20 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Penrose 07/20

Doug & I met another 'yota from the Springs & hit Penrose for my shakedown run after my axle swap. You'll all be happy to know that the yota's schooled the geap Good day though. Started down Independence...

As per usual for me in Penrose, it only took about 50 yards for me to flop it

The new seats & harness worked!....and this is why I keep EVERYTHING strapped down very well. Glad my gas tank didn't leak after relocating behind the seats!

I was very grateful for the speedy recovery. That was starting to get uncomfortable hanging there. Got her back on all fours and continued on. I didn't have to pull the plugs this time, so that was good. I just puked out a little PS fluid, but that was it.

I'm having to learn to drive all over again

Then it was on to Patriot....with a lot more focus this time.

Of course I was the one that talked into trying the right line on Coffin Rock; that wasn't happening.

After about 3 attempts, I decided to take the left line but by tires were caked with mud and I wasn't getting any traction.....that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Doug got off his line a little at first on the exit, but made it up without any issues.

I FINALLY walked an obstacle by the end of the day on the exit...took long enough

Good day out. I got some real good testing in on the new build, the geap did really well, no carnage, nice small group of rigs, good company, and great weather. We lucked out on the weather. It started to drizzle at the end, but that was it. I finished up the day with a little high speed testing and she felt pretty good. Only got it up to about 50-55 MPH, but it felt pretty good. Now I need to find some good jumps to really test it

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

.....and to anyone about to get their panties in a bunch for posting pics of a run that wasn't "officially" posted here.....get over yourself. Stop being "that" guy and find something else to bitch about.

/end_rant

Shawn
The Token Jeep Guy
with a mobile repair shop
Hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt
Click here bitch!....you know you want to.
FINE! Click here then!
Jeep Clubs...It's a Jeep Thing, and I don't want to understand
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy View Post
wow! Now that I've seen it in a pic, that was a REALLY stupid line. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Quote:
.....and to anyone about to get their panties in a bunch for posting pics of a run that wasn't "officially" posted here.....get over yourself. Stop being "that" guy and find something else to bitch about.

/end_rant
We haven't had that come up in several years... until you just did

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

After I got up the exit, I noticed some steel pipe embedded in the rock. That's when I remembered that there used to be a fence up along the top.

Can anybody with more experience on this trail tell me if the official path goes more right of where I'm at in this pic? I think it does with another big ledge at the very end (4' or so).

de·gen·er·ate

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
After I got up the exit, I noticed some steel pipe embedded in the rock. That's when I remembered that there used to be a fence up along the top.

Can anybody with more experience on this trail tell me if the official path goes more right of where I'm at in this pic? I think it does with another big ledge at the very end (4' or so).
The guard rail used to cut off that path you're taking out of the exit. With the guard rail in place, I never could make it out but have made the exit every time since with it gone. You're spot on about where the rail used to run. I remember having to put a driver's side tire up on the rail and still not coming close to getting out.

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time. I've never ran it with any type of mud on the trail. Was the upper parking lot area wet? They usually gate it off anytime it rains to keep the access road from getting rutted out.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
The guard rail used to cut off that path you're taking out of the exit. With the guard rail in place, I never could make it out but have made the exit every time since with it gone.

That exit has changed a bunch over the years...

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
The guard rail used to cut off that path you're taking out of the exit. With the guard rail in place, I never could make it out but have made the exit every time since with it gone. You're spot on about where the rail used to run. I remember having to put a driver's side tire up on the rail and still not coming close to getting out.

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time. I've never ran it with any type of mud on the trail. Was the upper parking lot area wet? They usually gate it off anytime it rains to keep the access road from getting rutted out.
Thanks, I'll have to try the 'official' line next time. Looks like a serious wheel base challenge.

There wasn't any mud up at the parking area, only a very small puddle on the path to indy and a very small puddle at the bottom of coffin rock. Just enough to wet your tires before getting on the rock. They just opened the gate when we pulled up to start unloading.

de·gen·er·ate

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
#1 cruiser

Looks like a good time

Felix is my Hero!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Great pics. The Jeep with the new tons and big stickies is looking pretty badass, Shawn! -- even on its side.

Looks like Doug just underestimated the width of that front axle a little on that early line and dropped the passenger tire down just a wee bit later than planned. No big. You got your rigs through what looks like a good challenge and one of you even kept the rubber down. Nicely done!

Looks like a ton of fun to me. Mel and I are still trying to figure out a way to make it up to your neck of the woods for another summer/fall trip.

Cheers!

Degenerate

'03 D-cab Prerunner (4wd conversion)[/SIZE]
D-Cab https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481
'85 4Runner Geared, Locked & Exo'd on 37's
Toyzilla https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168734
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, looking at it, I didn't turn early enough. The kid before me went high driver and got just a hair tippy (no big deal). I wanted to try something different and thought both sides would come down the same time.

The only reason I kept rubber down was they guy pushing (and eventually hanging from the other side). It would have been a nasty flop (there was another ledge just in front of my front tires). I was getting ready to punch the skinny pedal to roll out of it, but would have been pretty ugly too.

That was the entrance (I wasn't even a whole truck length into the trail) so I wouldn't have even made it as far as Shawn did before going over . The second pic with the guy standing on my wheel kept me from ending up the same as Shawn. I swear, those a-pillars aren't going to last long enough for me to get an exo on it.

Both Jeep guy and me got schooled by a 15 yo in a REALLY clean 4-runner, tho he and his dad have run this many times, so they knew all the good lines.

For the record: I really don't like people standing/hanging on my rig when I'm moving. There's potential for some serious injury (the kind you're probably going to live with for the rest of your life) and I'd feel like absolute shit if someone get's hurt by my rig while I'm in the drivers seat. It would fuck with my head for along time.

de·gen·er·ate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode