2014-08-10 Plane Crash - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
2014-08-10 Plane Crash

It was great finally getting out there to wheel.

Unfortunately I discovered a few issues that will probably keep me from going to this year's Jambo, but better I find out now than out on Holy Cross and ruin mine and everyone's trip.

Anyway, here are some pics and vids Photobucket allowed me to upload:

Sorry in advance about my unsteady hands. I was trying to pay attention to what was going on and at the same time make sure I didn't trip and fall. I don't multitask well.

http://vid481.photobucket.com/albums...ps881bbd8f.mp4

http://vid481.photobucket.com/albums...ps97e9cfd1.mp4

http://vid481.photobucket.com/albums...ps7c042ef3.mp4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM
#1 cruiser

That looks like a great trip!

Felix is my Hero!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM

Glad you guys had a good time. Sorry I missed it, barely left the house, being sick is dumb.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yancey, what did you find out? Did it happen on the trail today?

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Well, this is an issue that I first noticed on Thursday. Once my tranny is good and warmed up the gears grind when I shift into 2nd gear. The rest of the gears are fine, and this only happens when I'm in 2wd. I am hoping that its the short throw shift kit I got from Marlin Crawler. So, I'll be converting the shifter back to stock to see if that fixes it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does.

My Tranny is still under warranty, so that's not the issue. It's the possibility I have to pull it and take it over to the tranny shop. What a PITA!

The other issue I thought was fixed but its still there. My crawl box pops out of gear when it is disengaged (set to 1:1) and I have my 4.7 Case engaged and I'm going down a steep incline. I have to hold it to keep it from popping out.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Looks like I missed a good run. Hopefully you get your issues figured out

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM

My wife and I had a great time. Here's some pics. Trial was definitely not a 4 or 5 anymore. It's pretty torn up and has some difficult obstacles.

Some trail rash

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

looks like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanman View Post
Well, this is an issue that I first noticed on Thursday. Once my tranny is good and warmed up the gears grind when I shift into 2nd gear. The rest of the gears are fine, and this only happens when I'm in 2wd. I am hoping that its the short throw shift kit I got from Marlin Crawler. So, I'll be converting the shifter back to stock to see if that fixes it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does.

My Tranny is still under warranty, so that's not the issue. It's the possibility I have to pull it and take it over to the tranny shop. What a PITA!

The other issue I thought was fixed but its still there. My crawl box pops out of gear when it is disengaged (set to 1:1) and I have my 4.7 Case engaged and I'm going down a steep incline. I have to hold it to keep it from popping out.
The part about grinding into 2nd after warming up the tranny sounds like a syncro issue. If they are new (from the rebuild) it may just take some time for it to get "broken in". I had similar issues after I rebuilt my r151, it's gotten better the more I drive (well the more i shift in and out of each gear). Some of my gears are better than others, for instance, 1st and 2nd are happy, but 4th is still a little upset.. but only because I don't drive in traffic that much, so i'm not in/out of 4th very often. I spend most of my time in 1st/2nd/3rd on the trail.

that's my theory at least

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
The part about grinding into 2nd after warming up the tranny sounds like a syncro issue.
That's what my Dad's theory is too. He but thinks that the short throw shifter kit might be allowing me to shift too quickly. I have noticed that when I slow down my shifts it doesn't grind as bad or at all.

Do you know how long it took you to "break in" those gears?

Obviously mileage is not the issue its the number of times I'm shifting.

With the risk of going off topic here, anyone else have any theories on the tranny and/or the crawl box?

I probably should start a new thread on this topic....

EDIT:
Just talked with the Tranny shop and they told me that grinding gears is not part of the normal break in process and I should bring it in. SIGH

Think I found a name for my rig: Murphy, as in Murphy's Law. But at the same time I don't want to add more fuel to the fire.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

sorry, I don't have any estimate. I only drive it on the street occasionally, trailer'd alot of the time (when the ford is actually running).

And yeah, I can see how a short throw shifter might make the problem a bit worse.

I'd still bet that it's a syncro break in issue. I hear that after pulling the tranny for the 5th time, you get much faster at it.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM

FWIW, I have 2 vehicles I've switched to Redline MTL, about $15 a quart, because of shifting issues, and after a few drives they have stopped grinding all together. On older transmissions though.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Redline is great stuff. I use MT85 in my nissan and it took the clunky/ grinding shifts away completely. There is a Redline dealer in Fort Collins, but i'm not sure about south. I'll second that recommendation.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to poorboyota26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
sorry, I don't have any estimate. I only drive it on the street occasionally, trailer'd alot of the time (when the ford is actually running).

And yeah, I can see how a short throw shifter might make the problem a bit worse.

I'd still bet that it's a syncro break in issue. I hear that after pulling the tranny for the 5th time, you get much faster at it.
or a motor

86 runner
Rebuilt 22re, r151, ep9.0, 31's, addicted front bumper
04 Tacoma DC with custom body work
Dreams of owning a fzj80, fj60, fj45 troopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Yea, 2 days later and I still feel like a sack of assholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Leary ExPo
Years from now, when we are dead and gone... the roaches will be driving little Toyotas with 3.4s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode