shock mount ?'s - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mgoose82
shock mount ?'s

ok so i was thinking about this today and i think i've figured out a way to fix my shock prob without actually buying new shocks.

THE PROBLEM
i've built a 5" lift for the rear of my truck, and my shocks are now too short. the springs have to be compressed about 1" to even get the shocks on even when fully extended.

THE SOLUTION IN ?
if i were to make a drop down bracket for the top of the shocks to mount to, would that cause problems down the road. basically i just want to lower ONLY the frame mounts for the rear shocks. i would be able to keep the exact angle and everything for the shocks. and being the frame mounts, i wouldn't have to worry about any of it catching on anything while wheeling.

let me know what you guys think

once a soldier, always a soldier

2001 ext cab taco
custom front bumper w/ reciever, double tube rear bumper, nerf bars turned into sliders, double tube roll bar, american racing wheels (prototypes), 285/75r Pro comp X-Terrains, 3" body lift, custom 5" rear lift, custom skids

to do: front spacers for this summer, collect parts for SAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

The only issue there is compression. Make sure you can compress the spring to the bumpstop, and not bottom out the shock.

If you can cycle the suspension without hitting either end of the shock, then it will work.

Keep in mind that the more vertical, and in line with the axle the shock is, the better the damping.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously you are gonna sacrifice travel that you would have available to you with longer shocks.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

What did you do for a "custom lift"? This might help with the answers also.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Obviously you are gonna sacrifice travel that you would have available to you with longer shocks.
x2 longer shocks arent that much money either, you dont really need bilsteins, you could probably pick up some ranchos or something fairly cheap.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I would just buy some longer shocks. Moving the mounts is just a band aid that doesnt really fix your problem

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM

so let me get this right. you built a 5" lift for the rear ( which is sweet )
but with the springs compressed by neurtral weight of the truck (resting position) you have to compress the spring 1" to install the exisitng shock?
if this is the case as soon as you release the 1" tension bind on the springs your shocks will be 100% limited out at the resting position, leaving you 0%
down travel.... you would have a hell of a long extension to build, that like 80% of drop brackets (not that your a bad craftsman ) are prone to failure with out extra support. unless you have "free time" cause time is money and free steel "cuz that shit just aint cheap" wisely invest your cash in a nwe pair of shocks.
let me know what your compressed rate in inches is and the drop rate is if you dont mind. I have several shocks from the past that i will give you if I have a set that will fit your needs. just because i have been there too.

let me know.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
What did you do for a "custom lift"? This might help with the answers also.
i switched out my '01 leaf springs with ones from an '05 but in order to do it, i nad to move the hangers and when i was done i ended up with 5" of lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDestruction View Post
so let me get this right. you built a 5" lift for the rear ( which is sweet )
but with the springs compressed by neurtral weight of the truck (resting position) you have to compress the spring 1" to install the exisitng shock?
if this is the case as soon as you release the 1" tension bind on the springs your shocks will be 100% limited out at the resting position, leaving you 0%
down travel.... you would have a hell of a long extension to build, that like 80% of drop brackets (not that your a bad craftsman ) are prone to failure with out extra support. unless you have "free time" cause time is money and free steel "cuz that shit just aint cheap" wisely invest your cash in a nwe pair of shocks.
let me know what your compressed rate in inches is and the drop rate is if you dont mind. I have several shocks from the past that i will give you if I have a set that will fit your needs. just because i have been there too.

let me know.
I've got Pro Comp 9000 shocks in the rear that are made for a 1.5" lift on my taco. and basically the springs and the shocks for the rear are working against each other. i'm not really sure what the compress rate is nor the drop rate.

in the case of having free time and materials to do this you obviously don't have a clue about me, ha ha ha, lol. 7 yrs running we haven't had to buy any steel because the amount we have around the house. and as free time goes, i don't have a job, nor do i really do anything at all, i pretty much mod/repair/maintain my truck 7 days a week.

the reality is i just need to get a set of rear shocks for a 6" lift. i haven't yet because $$ is really tight so that is why i can buit an extension for free but not afford to buy shocks

2001 ext cab taco
custom front bumper w/ reciever, double tube rear bumper, nerf bars turned into sliders, double tube roll bar, american racing wheels (prototypes), 285/75r Pro comp X-Terrains, 3" body lift, custom 5" rear lift, custom skids

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe you can build a nice truss/cross brace/drop that could bolt in place across the frame. That way if things need adjusting or if you get the money and want to buy longer shocks then you can remove and rebuild as needed.

Remember, shocks are usually control droop/extension and bumpstops control compression. Shocks will survive extension but not stopping compression.

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoose82 View Post
i switched out my '01 leaf springs with ones from an '05 but in order to do it, i nad to move the hangers and when i was done i ended up with 5" of lift
There for a 07..... I should know they came off my taco

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 PM

well in that case................. and forgive me if this is ignorant

but you LUCKY BASTARD i'm jealous
wish i had that kind of free time.

best of luck, you have the best support in the world.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

yeah i even envy myself

i seriously do need to find atleast a part time job though. i'm to the point on my truck i't s gonna cost $ to do much else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Man View Post
There for a 07..... I should know they came off my taco
well i was close

2001 ext cab taco

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

i'm thinking i'm going to be making a dropped cross brace and then bring the shocks slightly inward and see where that gets me.

and regaurdless of the outcome, this is only going to be temporary and will eventually be replaced by some longer shocks. thanks for all the input and advice everyone

if anyone is free an is bored anytime next week, you're more than welcome do drop by and have a drink, or maybe even give a hand if you want.

2001 ext cab taco

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Unhappy

ok so i was looking at my truck and getting some measurments and everything so i can get this done, and i noticed a problem with my truck.

apparently at some point in the last seven years i've had the truck, my frame has gotten bent on the passenger side. so now the passenger side sits about 1.5 inches higher at the rear wheels than the driver side does. it hasn't affected anything as far as tire wear or driving it (i got real lucky, it bent perfectly straight upward), it's just odd i haven't noticed it yet and i'm always doing something to it. plus it looks funny how it's sitting right now

2001 ext cab taco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode