Lockers or/vs Gears??? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to traylortrash
Lockers or/vs Gears???

So I'm lookin at my next purchase. and I'm stuck between getting gears or lockers. As for gears I was lookin at a set 4.88s. I got a 93ext. cab 5sp w/35s. I found some good deals for front and back w/master install kits for about 600 with tax. OR I could throw in some detroit lockers front and back. Just wanted some on it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
WAIT!

Get the gears and lockers at the same time. Otherwise you pay 2x if not 3x the labor....

It's worth it. But if you can't wait get the lockers first. Granted it will suck you dry on gas mileage but hell you'll be able to crawl better...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Big tars, little bed.

Send a message via AIM to GOT COPE?
Get the gears... and a rear locker. Like mols said if you do em separate youll pay twice for labor. Get the gears and try and afford one locker at the same time

The gears will get you back in the ideal rpm range which will help you power and mileage and crawlability.

And at least one locker, rear first, will put you miles ahead of an open diff.

And FYI the labor is gonna run another $500 give or take on top of the $600 gears.

My Truck and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaoffroad27 View Post
I think Colin just rides around looking for a good photo op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlrunner View Post
Blatent abuse of power ... but funny ... carry on ...
BRC since 2006www.sharetrails.org
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
SFWDA since 2005 www.sfwda.org

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Unless you know someone....

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Big tars, little bed.

Send a message via AIM to GOT COPE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Unless you know someone....
Know what ya mean. Bad thing is, when they do it for free, sometimes you have to wait 3 months and they do it at their convenience. Thats the boat Im in right now.

My Truck and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaoffroad27 View Post
I think Colin just rides around looking for a good photo op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlrunner View Post
Blatent abuse of power ... but funny ... carry on ...
BRC since 2006www.sharetrails.org
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
SFWDA since 2005 www.sfwda.org
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I got stock gears w/35s and it sucks. So ill definetly go with the gears first. Im gonna install them myself. with a lil help should be a good time. Ill post some pics.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Gears in hand? Good. Wait until you can afford an ARB for the rear, then do it...leave the front open or save for a second ARB. You'll run the front open 99% of the time, but the spiders and carrier are much stronger than the OEMs.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
Gears in hand? Good. Wait until you can afford an ARB for the rear, then do it...leave the front open or save for a second ARB. You'll run the front open 99% of the time, but the spiders and carrier are much stronger than the OEMs.
I was thinking of going with detroit lockers. Ive heard alot of bad and good things about ARB. It seems to be 50/50. Any suggestions?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylortrash View Post
I was thinking of going with detroit lockers. Ive heard alot of bad and good things about ARB. It seems to be 50/50. Any suggestions?
Yeah...get the quad seals if available for the part #s you need, run full pneumatic switches, and make sure someone competent sets up the seal carrier, air line and bulkhead. Make sure the air line is protected.

There's nothing wrong with a Detroit either...but around here, where it snows, it's nice to be able to choose.

-Sean
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
Yeah...get the quad seals if available for the part #s you need, run full pneumatic switches, and make sure someone competent sets up the seal carrier, air line and bulkhead. Make sure the air line is protected.
Well, that's a bit of overkill ... but indeed 99.999% of the problems with ARB's are installation related. Take time up front and avoid big issues down the road.

Personally, I would not run pneumatic switches - no way in hell do I want even a little bit of gear oil venting into my cab!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
So I'm lookin at my next purchase. and I'm stuck between getting gears or lockers. As for gears I was lookin at a set 4.88s. I got a 93ext. cab 5sp w/35s. I found some good deals for front and back w/master install kits for about 600 with tax. OR I could throw in some detroit lockers front and back. Just wanted some on it. Thanks.
Not sure for a 93 so I might be incorrect, but I don't believe detroit makes a front locker for toyota's front axle, I know that is the case for the 01's-04's.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure for a 93 so I might be incorrect, but I don't believe detroit makes a front locker for toyota's front axle, I know for the 01's-04's the main ones to choose from are lockrite, aussie locker and arb for the front. lockrites and aussie lockers you can install yourself if you want to do them at a different time than the gears. I am getting gears front and back and an aussie locker for the front installed this Friday and figure if the locker sucks in the snow, I'll bite the $230 dollars it cost me and save for an arb.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM

How thirds with 4.88s. I got a v6 third and a IFS front that I will be pulling very soon to replace with 5.29s and My sas. THat way the set up is done.

THE rear is welded.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
In Rememberance

So if you are running IFS, you do not have a choice for Detroit in the front. I like my rear Detroit (well liked) it in Tippy (when she ran).

Please note that the Aussie or Lockright in the front (down the road) those are considered "lunchbox lockers" and ask 00RegCab (Nate) about it. He wheels hard. But any time we have to get up to speed he has to stop and unlock his front hubs (You will need to convert to selectable hubs too up front BTW).

Also you said you were planning to install the gears yourself? Have you done that before? If so if not... um, gears are something that really need to be set up right. Might want to have one of our local Toyota Tech's do it for you. It will cost but you need it done right! This the reason we say wait till you have that rear locker so you can have it all done at the same time otherwise you will pay x2...

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

unless you buy my junk...then it is all set up with the manual front axle

If I were to keep IFS, this is what I would do (I did, but now going SAS). I did have the manual hubs, but had to switch the front diff over to manual from auto hubs style diff. NOt hard to do , at all.

BTW, Toyota 8" 3rrds are easy to set up, but they do need to be done right. Or else they will work great for a little while, and then...

I've set up some of the dana 60s and 44s, and toyota 8" 3rds are a dream compared to those.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
A lunchbox up front is a cheap, effective way to get your front end locked. And hey, it works. However, it is quite the annoyance that it is ALWAYS locked. Sometimes i get into tight spots where i have to pop the clutch a little and let the truck rock while i work the wheel over when i don't really NEED the front locker in such the spot. It would be more practical to just be able to switch it off. However, over time the people you get out with the most, and the 2-3 guys that spot you the most will get used to spotting your truck with it, and they know how to set you up to avoid such situations that you cannot see from the driver seat.

It's also a PITA around town in the winter, trying to get moving in 2wd with the rear locked is a hassle on icey roads and you won't have just normal 4wd. You have to be patient, and practice turning with the front locker on ice. As when you go for the initial turn in, the truck will keep trying to go straight and not actually turn. You actually have to throttle through the corner, which is completely opposite of what everyone has ever taught you.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM

if you're looking for 4:88's there were some that came direct from toyota (open) you can buy a used third and you won't have to worry about how it's set up....just slide it in. Then when you do have the $$$...slap the ARB into it. Selectable lockers seem like the way to go.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

get dual aussies....... little birdy told me that v6 aussie is coming out next week

I am General Corrosion

Corrosion: - 97 4runner 2.7 (fat and slow) lost but not forgotten
Shorter Bus: - 98 taco 2.7 300k miles (fat, old and slow) lost but not forgotten
Short Round: - 97 single cab (2' of sheet metal) Now doing pizza delivery
Too nice: - 99 4runner 3.4 5spd ski/expo wagon
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolison View Post
get dual aussies....... little birdy told me that v6 aussie is coming out next week
oooh... this peaks my interest alot.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
oooh... this peaks my interest alot.
i run aussies in the rear third and for some reason it likes to snap the carrier pin in half.
arb on the front works well for me.

-Degenerate-
85 toyota pickup
00 tacoma on 42s
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for the temp hi-jack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
i run aussies in the rear third and for some reason it likes to snap the carrier pin in half.

Which axle/carrier? the old 8" I've been thinking about an 8.4 with aussie. This would be the first bad thing I've ever heard about the aussie.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the temp hi-jack..

Which axle/carrier? the old 8" I've been thinking about an 8.4 with aussie. This would be the first bad thing I've ever heard about the aussie.
yep, 85 axles. i like them dont get me wrong. doug also has had the same problem. but then again it probably has to do with the unique style of driving. hahahahaha

-Degenerate-
85 toyota pickup
00 tacoma on 42s
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolison View Post
I'll believe it when I see it Aussie locker has been saying that for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
Weird. I've never had any issues with mine (F&R) for 3 years now, 2 of them on 40's.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
I'll believe it when I see it Aussie locker has been saying that for years now.

Weird. I've never had any issues with mine (F&R) for 3 years now, 2 of them on 40's.
i run 39.5s and i even busted the small springs in the locker. an aussie just send out the parts so i am cool with that.

-Degenerate-
85 toyota pickup
00 tacoma on 42s
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Farmington seems to like to break everything on your truck though Joe.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Farmington seems to like to break everything on your truck though Joe.
hahaha yessir...woops sorry for the hijack...thats why i am going with 60s. and the dual cases will be done next week. woot!woot!

-Degenerate-
85 toyota pickup
00 tacoma on 42s
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM

I'm kind of going throught this same situation but I have a detriot in the rear and a limited slip in the front with 4:88 gears. I want to go 5:29's cause I want 38's or 41 inch tires. I want a selectable for the front but am going to just get a 4.7 gear for t-case then get gears and a front locker. So what i'm saying is maybe focus on your t-case and do either a 4.7 gear or dual setup and you can do all of that yourself rather then paying for someone to do your gears. The 4.7 gear isn't do bad on the pocket book. Then when you want lockers and gears save the money to do it all at once. If I could do it all over again I would probably do a spool in the rear and a detriot in the front with ram assist in the front. Good luck!!!!!!

79' pick up 22re, 4:88 f/r detriot rear/ limited slip front, Alcans and Blistens all around, high steer, dual cases, flat bed and dash not cracked - SOLD
86' 4runner parts rig- SOLD
88' 4runner Sas, High steer, Blistens f/r amd 35s - SOLD

96' DD Jeep Cherokee 3 inch lift, 33's, 4:56 gears f/r, Rear Ford 8.8 limited slip and disk brakes, selectable locker front, SYE, Warn winch, rocksliders,custom bumpers, third row seating and tailgate cut in half -ON GOING PROJECT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode