OBA Completed!! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thumbs up OBA Completed!!

Ok. So I'm noticing that my tires are getting chewed up off road because I have been too lazy to air down. Well i don't have a way to air up unless I am close to a town. CO2 is nice but an expensive way to air up in my mind. So I had a compressor from a friend that I never got installed on my last rig (he had a CO2 tank and we used that all the time to air up ). Since I had about 80% of the parts and the space under the hood I decided to get it mounted and running.

1) The nice thing about the Tacoma is there is extra space under the hood to mount accessories. Toyota even nicely left pre- threaded holes in the fenders for my use.

2) I didn't want to mount it sideways on the fender in that space and tried to find a bracket that might work in this space to mount the compressor. My father is a German car mechanic and he even looked at the shop for a bracket off of a junk car that might work. No Luck. Well lucky for me I went to this nice BBQ/meet and greet at ORS which was down the street from my Dad's garage. A few week's after that I stopped by and met the infamous Una at ORS and talked with Derek there at the shop. They made a template and a little over a week later they fitted a nice sized bracket in the space I needed it.

3) Very happy with the work and the price I got from ORS I took my bracket home and coated it with a Rustolum black to keep it lasting longer after my plastic front bumper.

4) Using the thick steel and the mounting points on the fender I completed the install this weekend in my Dad's garage with a little help from Pops.

5) I added the a relay in the smaller factory box in the bottom right of the photo.

6) I already had an ARB switch from another rig so I just got another actuator to signify the compressor.

I like the ARB switches. They look good, light up well, and function easily. I am hoping to use ARB switches for all my accessories. Although the bulb heats up quite a bit. I guess that is so you can find the switch without looking at it. Just follow the heat

So I tested it out and with my 285's it takes about 7 minutes to go from 15lbs. back up to 35lbs. Not the most efficient but better then no air. My next consideration is a tank. I am curious of those out there that have installed a tank how much more efficient is the system at filling tires after a day of off roading.

This bracket was drilled to fit my needs but could be produced with other accessories in mind. I.E. larger compressor or an on board welder. I would highly recomend ORS for this and I think I have found my new home for fabrication. I am thinking a custom rear bumper in the near future. Thanks again ORS!

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Man, I love those ORS tig welds...

Looks good! Nice work!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
x2

A tank won't really help much - tires take A LOT of air.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
x2

Thanks for that. I was kind of thinking that but wanted to make sure. I think my best bet might be to move up to a larger volume compressor at some point.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:57 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Looks great! I need to get something like this set up by next year in my truck.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
hud

I have a cheap oba setup to run my locker and fill tires, with a small 1/2 gal air tank to function as a reservior to run the locker. The tank doesn't do any good for airing up tires, might as well start the compressor from zero. So you're right, you'd have to get a better $$ compressor. If you really need to air up fast without C02, your best option is to try to fit a belt-driven unit.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
very nice and clean
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Looks very nice! I've got a 2.5gal tank for my on-board ViAir and I only use it if I'm working with tools. With the exception of the first tire in line, I found it actually impedes the subsequent inflation of tires since the tires get secondary pressure after the tank.l
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to march2304 Send a message via Yahoo to march2304
Very nice clean install good work. I have mine mounted on the passenger side for my locker, (gears still not installed and i put the switches in the same spot im with you, love the switches! If you dont mind im going to take your idea of the welded plate that you have protecting the compressor and do the same with mine being that its only mounted with the stock bottom plate. good job!

2007 Toyota Tundra Limited.

www.bajacolorado.com

Work to Live NOT Live to Work
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post

Looks good! Nice work!
Quote:
x2

\

Those are just mig welds. They look sweet. It helps that those guys have 100's of hours spent welding. Perfection comes with pratice and a good machine.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

How do those compressors last? Does the tank seem to help seating beads?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud View Post
I have a cheap oba setup to run my locker and fill tires, with a small 1/2 gal air tank to function as a reservior to run the locker. The tank doesn't do any good for airing up tires, might as well start the compressor from zero. So you're right, you'd have to get a better $$ compressor. If you really need to air up fast without C02, your best option is to try to fit a belt-driven unit.
Thanks for that tip. Well see how long this one last's and when it blows I will go bigger and better.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2304 View Post
Very nice clean install good work. I have mine mounted on the passenger side for my locker, (gears still not installed and i put the switches in the same spot im with you, love the switches! If you dont mind im going to take your idea of the welded plate that you have protecting the compressor and do the same with mine being that its only mounted with the stock bottom plate. good job!
I don't mind but the plate work was from ORS. They do great work!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
How do those compressors last? Does the tank seem to help seating beads?
I have heard that the tank helps with seating a bead but I have also heard you can use your spare tire full of air to seat a bead. Anyone know how that works? Or I guess it would just be easier to install the spare instead. Unless your spare is smaller then your other tires.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to gotmoab
in theory the air pressure from the spare tire (usually 30-40pis depending) is enough to seat the bead of a tire then you use your compressor to fill it the rest of the way. I have never done it myself but have herd a few buddies doing it, they used a normal air hose.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

The tank should help seating a bead. Mine tops out at 105psi, so you get a good pressure push right off the bat and you can do it more than once if needed.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm used to the silicon spray and fire method. A tank would be nice. I don't care for the smell of buring hair.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice. That tray is great. I love that these new trucks have so much room under the hood for "accessories."

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Despite what others say, I think a tank helps a little. I can get two tires aired quickly from trail to highway pressure off my 2.5gal tank and let the compressor refill the tank while I drive down the road a little ways and air up the other two. Granted, I don't air down as far as some others might, and just to get home, I don't need 32psi in all four tires. When I get home I'll air back up to 32psi all the way around with my big compressor.

That ORS bracket is a quality item. Do you know if they have any plans to market that?

2002 V6, X-Cab,TRD SUPERCHARGER, IK22 plugs, URD 2.0" pulley, URD 7th injector kit w/ AFR Calibrator, TRD Headers, TRD Cat-Back, AEM Brute Force w/ Dryflow, ported & polished throtle body, URD Crankshaft pulley, 4.56 Motiv gears, ARB RD-90 locker, 255/85/16 TRXuS MT's, DR Coilovers, Camburg UCA, Skyjacker 2.5" leaf springs, Wheeler's SS rear brakeline, Bilstien 5100's, on board air
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathegood View Post
Despite what others say, I think a tank helps a little. I can get two tires aired quickly from trail to highway pressure off my 2.5gal tank and let the compressor refill the tank while I drive down the road a little ways and air up the other two. Granted, I don't air down as far as some others might, and just to get home, I don't need 32psi in all four tires. When I get home I'll air back up to 32psi all the way around with my big compressor.

That ORS bracket is a quality item. Do you know if they have any plans to market that?
I would think that marketing the bracket would be based on demand. I had it built extra large to accomidate a larger compressor but it should also fit a welder or other on board items on it as well. I did the "free" marketing thing for ORS here to get some feedback to send them.

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
I'm used to the silicon spray and fire method. A tank would be nice. I don't care for the smell of buring hair.
Ok. Elaborate on this method I am clueless on this

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Very nice. That tray is great. I love that these new trucks have so much room under the hood for "accessories."
F-YOU

I had to shoehorn my ARB compressor in there.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Troy, you would have more room if you did a 3rz swap. Also more power/better gas milage ect ect........

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I had to shoehorn my ARB compressor in there.
Ditto.

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot, that ain't nothin'. Looks like you could actually get your hand in there to start the screws!

Here's a 3.0 if you're not realizing how good you have it:

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

I also had to fab a bracket because there was nothing to mount to. I had to weld a pair of bolts to the bracket and then I bolted the compressor to the bracket. This allowed me to drop it through a couple of holes and attach nuts in the wheelwell.

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

This is what happens when Toyota builds the next gen Taco wider.
Humm..... I have a ton of space on the passenger side as well. I am thinking on board Welder over there. But after the snorkel gets installed.

Although the trade off is my size on the trail. And I have the pinstripe paint to prove it

Gerdo - I like the rubber you added along the mount side. I got rubber washers for where mine bolt to the frame but I think yours is more effective.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shoot, that ain't nothin'. Looks like you could actually get your hand in there to start the screws!

Here's a 3.0 if you're not realizing how good you have it:
If you washed some of that mudd off you might have more room under the hood.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Knowing troy's rig, that's probably not mud, it's rust

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to colorado125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Knowing troy's rig, that's probably not mud, it's rust
Hey, thats whats holding it all together.

2002 Dcab, 33" Toyo Open Country AT's on FJ80 rims, full OME suspension, 1" body lift, TRD Exhaust, SC, and Trans cooler, ARB Bullbar, SleeOffroad sliders, future is gears, front locker and cbi Fab rear bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode