Gray Wire Mod Advantages? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Gray Wire Mod Advantages?

Ok. I have seen and read about the Grey Wire Mod that allows the E Locker to be engaged in 2Hi or 4hi or whenever. But my question for everyone is what really are the advantages of doing this. When would you need the rear end locked that would not require you to be in 4 low anyways for the torque and for the extra wheel driving. So far the only thing I have seen is it allows you to do donuts easier and in one tragic case may have caused a Taco to roll over. So why do it?

I am now hearing on the national board that this mod may contribute to a future demise of the 05+ Tacoma 4 wheel drive electronics so as it stands now I don't see a reason to do it. Convince me otherwise

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM
ike
Veteran Member

No reason really to do it.

The only time i have used it is to baja in 2wd, much like the reason the pre runner was offered with it.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

yeah, there's a reason I've forgotten to do it for so damn long. I can think of only the run up that hill for 4th of July (name escapes me at the momeny). I was too lazy to go to 4wd and did most the trail in 2wd. There was about one time I could have used it, and ended up just putting it in 4wd anyways.

I did it simply so it's an option if I ever need it. The writeup's on it are pretty clear and straight forward about how/when the ground wire is used. I can't see any down sides to doing the mod (for my truck) so why not?

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
yeah, there's a reason I've forgotten to do it for so damn long. I can think of only the run up that hill for 4th of July (name escapes me at the momeny). I was too lazy to go to 4wd and did most the trail in 2wd. There was about one time I could have used it, and ended up just putting it in 4wd anyways.

I did it simply so it's an option if I ever need it. The writeup's on it are pretty clear and straight forward about how/when the ground wire is used. I can't see any down sides to doing the mod (for my truck) so why not?
OK. That doesn't convince me to do the mod but it also doesn't convince me not to it. I guess it comes down to if I had my truck entirely the way I wanted it and this was another mod to add to the list then I would do it.

AAAHHHH...... that one fine day when I have everything complete on my truck....... Oh crap I woke up again and it is time to go to work.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Well I never had a grey wire to begin with, but I have flicked the switch when in High gear going about 15mph for some momentum up a hill. I probably didn't need the locker....but flipping it on -to minimize the risk of having to go for a second try - with out dropping into low and coming to almost a complete stop was kinda cool.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM
ike
Veteran Member

i wouldnt feel safe putting it on when moving at speed. It gives alot of stress and chance for breakage.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, but I've gotten away with it. I usually push in the clutch and try to go in a relatively straight line. Oh and its not something I would do unless the surface under me has quite a bit of "slip"

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
ike
Veteran Member

As long as your wheel speeds are not that far from each other(ie not spinning one wheel) it shouldnt be to bad on it, but it is not something i would do.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

I did it this past weekend. I really can't think of any reason not to do it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it i suppose.

Plus i'm hoping to get back to the desert at some point since i still have friends and family in CA.

The day after i did the mod this weekend me and my wife went to Rocky Mountain National Park for a drive. I pulled off the side on an uphill to let a car pass and get a picture. When i hit the gas i sat there spinning only my wheel in the snow while my other wheel was on the pavement. Of course 4wd would have done the trick, but i hit the locker just for fun and away i went
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Just have to watch for sideways drifting when doing that.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

I know that allot of people don't ues 4lo all that much. My view on 4lo is, when offroading, other than dirt roads where you wouldn't need a locker anyway, I always use 4lo. That is what it is there for.

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

While I don't have to do the mod, when I romp around the sand dunes in 2hi it is nice to have the rear locked. I don't really use high range snow bashing or 4 wheeling.

It is fun on the street when it snows out and you don't feel like locking your hubs (not a issue for you), a little rearend snow drift never hurt anyone.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
OK. That doesn't convince me to do the mod but it also doesn't convince me not to it. I guess it comes down to if I had my truck entirely the way I wanted it and this was another mod to add to the list then I would do it.

AAAHHHH...... that one fine day when I have everything complete on my truck....... Oh crap I woke up again and it is time to go to work.
good, so you understand the mod yeah, I was in that same position and found that it just wasn't that important to me. I probably still wouldn't have it if Sucka and Yanman hadn't been interested in doing it last weekend.

If you're on the fence and can't decide to do it, then don't, wait for a couple of times when you're driving and thinking to yourself "I wish I had a locker right now". If you find yourself saying that enough, then you can take the 10 min to actually do it, if not, then save the time to open another beer.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I wondered if all those wiring mods tacosupreme did would ever come back to haunt him. Looks like it may have - but he also drives his truck pretty freakin hard so it could be that.....

I used to try and keep it in 2wd or 4hi whenever possible until I heated up my AT fluid above normal limits trying to climb a steep, loose bit of rocks on Hayden Pass. Since then I'm with Gerdo - just use 4lo on anything but dirt roads where speeds will be consistently above 20mph.

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Its probably already been discussed. However.

I like being able to lock mine WHENEVER, mainly because of my front full-time locker. When it snows, i just stay in 2wd, but kick the locker on. Also, blasting across sandy washes/areas in moab isnt really fun, or easily do-able in 4lo (between how slow you go, and all the stress it'll cause on the engine/drivetrain), or in just plain 2wd. Its a hell of a difference with the locker on when you hit the gas in the sand.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Just have to watch for sideways drifting when doing that.
ehhhh, i think this is bogus. I absolutely LOVE lockers on the snowy/slick roads.

Yes, the rear end will slide out easier, however its very manageable and very easy to control/predict. Plus, i've noticed with the locker on, and some practice driving that way you can get a very tiny little bit of over steer out of it on slick snow/ice covered roads and makes turning 100X easier.

Even in 4wd with the front locker and such, i dont have problems turning, or problems with side-hill/off camber type stuff. The truck has never tried to slide down hill on me. Plus its saved my ass with stopping a few times. Just dump it into first and let the clutch out. The truck will still slide a little, but not near as much as it would if the brakes were locked, and its hard on drivetrain components, but better than an accident.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

If you have push button 4WD and do the 2LO mod, the grey wire mod makes a lot more sense

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Yes, the rear end will slide out easier, however its very manageable and very easy to control/predict. Plus, i've noticed with the locker on, and some practice driving that way you can get a very tiny little bit of over steer out of it on slick snow/ice covered roads and makes turning 100X easier.
I occasionally flip my locker on when I'm on my way to Winter Park going down Berthoud Pass. Often times the truck has a tendency to understeer in 4HI which is concerning particularly in the tight right-hand corners where understeer could mean a head-on collision. So flip the locker on, and suddenly you've got a little bit of manageable oversteer. I feel much better that way.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

my reason for the mod, i can peel out both rear tires and feel like a BAD ASS! haha

simple as that oh and i can turn off my abs easly that way, i hate abs in snow, period! fricken red light death trap right there!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

It's easier to do a burnout around corners when locked!

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Lot's of good feedback guys thanks! Although it seems that mostly it is for fun. One good point was Nate and having a full time front locker with manual hubs. I could see a reason in snow for it and not wanted to engage the front. Other then that I really don't see myself hitting dunes, bajaing, or doing burnouts. Guess I am just getting old! I do agree with Gerdo and Jacket that 4lo is for off road and then the locker works anyways. I guess I will shelf this mod for now until I really feel I have a need for it.

Besides saving the time and being able to crack open a beer sooner is much better.

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

I will tell you that I may have needed it at least once and didn't have it. The 4wd system on my 01 Tacoma has 3 different electronic switches and one was out on my truck and I knew the 4wd wouldn't engage, but still wanted to play a little in my truck. Since I have a winch I wasn't too worried about getting stuck. And of course I couldn't climb the road out, one wheel was spinning. If I had done the grey wire mod there is a good chance I wouldn't of had to winch myself out.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 AM

I use this mod all the time, but then I have 2wd low. So for me this mod was a must-do. Otherwise, while still mostly stock, I just used it for goofing around. But it made goofing around a lot more fun, so I would do this again on a stocker in a skinny minute.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Still not convienced. 4low is my friend. Keeps everything under control and I can be locked then too.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

I used it a few times this week. I didn't "need" it but i was happy to have the mod. No compelling reason to run out and do it, but i don't see a reason not to do it either.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Who knows, might come a time when you break a CV and need that extra grip for that extra traction to get you to a point where you can wrench on your truck.

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sucka that is a good point. I think I finallly have the right reason. Nice!!!! Hey great photos by the way of your trip.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
If you have push button 4WD and do the 2LO mod, the grey wire mod makes a lot more sense
2LO isn't as easy on the new gen as the older trucks. TacoSupreme did it for a short time but it used a DPDT switch and you still had to shift the transfer into LO with the stock switch on the dash. I'm 95% sure I figured out a way to do it with only one switch and the stock switch stays in 2wd. I need to have someone check me before I try it. Should talk to Darrell probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Sucka that is a good point. I think I finallly have the right reason. Nice!!!! Hey great photos by the way of your trip.
About time. Swing by and we can knock it out in about 20 minutes.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughboy
Grey wire mod

I am glad that I did the grey wire mod on my Taco... Out playing in the country side of south east colorado. I don't think I used 4 hi or lo all day long, and never got stuck once...
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM

yea can't exactly do the grey wire mod in the 05+ tacos... i'm looking into doing it in my '09, but i'm kinda worried. gotta play with quite a few wires. i have the writeup somewheres... can't find it right now.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

When you can lock it in 4hi you do a hell of alot beter in mud then you would with open 4hi, and 4lo just sucks ass in mud.

2012 double cab Tacoma
1st gen 4runner.
75 FJ40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode